Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car off the road, tax arrears

• 24-08-2016 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My car has been of the road with a year and a half and now they want over 1000euro in arrears can i sign my logbook over to a friends name and get them to sign it back over to me so the arrears will be gone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Yes you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Yes you can.

That's interesting.

I'm looking at buying a car that's been off the road and untaxed for some time.

Does that mean as a new owner I'm not liable for back tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Gergiev wrote: »
    That's interesting.

I'm looking at buying a car that's been off the road and untaxed for some time.

Does that mean as a new owner I'm not liable for back tax?
    Absolutely. That's exactly the way it works. You're liable from purchase date.

But get online to tax it quickly if you buy, I was slow and ende up one month in arrears which is more expensive to pay than paying upfront.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If there are arrears on a bought car they will show up online.
    You need to do it on person at the office or by post. The online system doesn't recognise change of ownership sale dates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you use the pin for the new owner (as in the last 6 digits of the new reg cert serial number) then there wouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you use the pin for the new owner (as in the last 6 digits of the new reg cert serial number) then there wouldn't be a problem.

If there is a gap in tax then the new owner pays the arrears online even though they might have only bought the vehicle.

Ie.
    Tax expires January. Bought May. Arrears online Feb- April.

Tax office.
    Arrears feb-apr entered as previous owner non use and wiped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

you are quite wrong.

Whatever happens the new owner is only liable for the tax from first of month of purchase.

Once he waits for the name on the records to be changed, the arrears will disappear.

He cannot tax before that as the disc would be sent to the seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Buffman

If there is a gap in tax then the new owner pays the arrears online even though they might have only bought the vehicle.

Ie.
    Tax expires January. Bought May. Arrears online Feb- April.

That will happen online if you don't wait for the ownership to change.

If you don't want to wait for the new vehicle registration to come in the post with the new PIN as suggested above, you have to keep checking here until it says the change of ownership has been processed. When that's done you can apply for the new PIN here and any arrears are wiped online for you to tax straight away.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

Buffman wrote: »
    That will happen online if you don't wait for the ownership to change.

If you don't want to wait for the new vehicle registration to come in the post with the new PIN as suggested above, you have to keep checking here until it says the change of ownership has been processed. When that's done you can apply for the new PIN here and any arrears are wiped online for you to tax straight away.

It doesn't work with motortax.ie

I work in the department. I know it doesn't work. But if you think you're right, fire away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

I work in the department. I know it doesn't work. But if you think you're right, fire away!

Are you actually saying the new owner is liable for the arrears, or just debating the mechanics of how to process the payment?

• Advertisement

That's fair enough, I almost always use my local office anyway. So, are you saying there is 100% no way for anybody to pay tax online if the vehicle wasn't taxed when bought? If so motortax.ie is very misleading.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

Buffman wrote: »
    That's fair enough, I almost always use my local office anyway. So, are you saying there is 100% no way for anybody to pay tax online if the vehicle wasn't taxed when bought? If so motortax.ie is very misleading.

First time taxing of a new vehicle must be done in person as a log book needs to be issued.

If it's used and a gap between tax expiry and date bought it needs to be done in person.
    After that you can do it all online.

You can do it online if you you want to pay arrears that aren't yours :)'

I'm sure you are wrong.

You can do this by post and once the system shows it has been processed the new owner can tax online from the first of the month of purchase, with no arrears, using the PIN retreival

Oh no, hell'd freeze over before I'd pay somebody else's tax!:D

This actually gives people a great defence in court. Keep a record of everything, show how you tried to pay your online tax but were denied because they tried to illegally make you pay arrears you didn't owe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

First time taxing of a new vehicle must be done in person as a log book needs to be issued.

If it's used and a gap between tax expiry and date bought it needs to be done in person.

If you work in the department, you need some re-training. The car I bought recently was out of tax in april. I bought in June, received the log book two weeks later. Registered my details on the motor tax site, and payed the tax from June to August. No liability for the arrears.

As others have stated, the tax for the new owner runs from the month it was registered in your name. Sure you're taking a chance driving a purchased car, where the previous owner hadn't taxed it for yonks.. but the arrears is not the new owners problem whatsoever. Absolutely no need to be taxing a vehicle for the first time, in person.

givyjoe wrote: »
    If you work in the department, you need some re-training. The car I bought recently was out of tax in april. I bought in June, received the log book two weeks later. Registered my details on the motor tax site, and payed the tax from June to August. No liability for the arrears.

As others have stated, the tax for the new owner runs from the month it was registered in your name. Sure you're taking a chance driving a purchased car, where the previous owner hadn't taxed it for yonks.. but the arrears is not the new owners problem whatsoever. Absolutely no need to be taxing a vehicle for the first time, in person.

I said it could be done by post earlier in this thread.
    The point is you can't do it online if there's a gap in tax prior to when it's bought by a new owner.

Motortax.ie just looks at the gap and doesn't recognise the change of ownership and will look for arrears regardless.

The point is you can't do it online if there's a gap in tax prior to when it's bought by a new owner.

Yes you absolutely can...

I did so very recently - bought car in June, it wasn't taxed since January. Waited for vlc - applied for pin online - taxed car from June online.

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Yes you absolutely can...

I did so very recently - bought car in June, it wasn't taxed since January. Waited for vlc - applied for pin online - taxed car from June online.

You know best so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Motortax.ie just looks at the gap and doesn't recognise the change of ownership and will look for arrears regardless.

Yes.. you.. can.. As I have stated, I did this myself. As soon as I saw the logbook had been received by the department and change of ownership was registered.. I used the site to pay for my tax from June to August. I can assure you, I did not go to a tax office or do this by post. It's also not the first time I've done this when purchasing a new car.

This is the link I used to check change of owner, then went on my merry way paying for the tax online.

I agree,once your details are in the system and you do a PIN retrieval, you absolutely can tax online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

If there are arrears on a bought car they will show up online.
    You need to do it on person at the office or by post. The online system doesn't recognise change of ownership sale dates.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I got a car in May that had been off the road since June. I payed the tax online from date of change of ownership on the new logbook. I didn't have to pay arrears or do it in the office.
    Sounds like you're a typical civil servant! You don't know how the system works but think that you do.

You know best so!

Well it's no surprise that you work within the system in that case, seeing as you know nothing about it and have the dismissive attitude to boot.

I'm sharing actual experience here, I did exactly as my post above. So I guess I do know best in this case.

Op buy the car, wait for the vlc to come back, retrieve the pin online. Pay tax from month of date of sale. Success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

You know best so!

Stop digging, you're wrong. Bought plenty of cars with outdated tax never had to pay someone else's arrears and was always able to pay online. You work in the tax office? The public sector in this country is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭traco

You are mistaken.

I did it all online when I bought a car at the start of the summer. Kept checking motortax online to see when they logged the ownership change and at that point I could tax it for the month or declare it off the road with no liabilities for previous owners untaxed period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

I did the same. Car I bought in June hadn't had tax since last December. But there's no need for pin retrieval.. its the last 6 digits on the registration cert .. so just tax it online when the cert arrives . .

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Many thanks for the replies.

All digested and understood - I think! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

(a)Nobody here even mentioned a "New Vehicle" ???

(b)WTF are you talking about ??? Thousands of people in Ireland Tax a newly bought (used) car online every month. And they simply pay the Tax due from the start of the month in which they bought the car.
    I'd suggest turning your head and asking the person beside you how the system works ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

So if say two brothers had cars and didn't tax them for say 4 months but 'swooped' ownership both sets of arrears would be wiped. Would it work with a husband and wife?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

joeysoap wrote: »
    So if say two brothers had cars and didn't tax them for say 4 months but 'swooped' ownership both sets of arrears would be wiped. Would it work with a husband and wife?

yes, as long as not done multiple times

but multiple owners wipe value off the car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

There are ways around everything ! Not going to do, just curious

Advertisement