Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large empty house beside Rathdrum station

• 24-08-2016 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

I was on the train to Wexford the other day, and could not avoid noticing a large, obviously empty building overlooking Rathdrum station.

It is almost certainly Victorian and may have been used for an institution.

What worries me about it is that the windows have been left open to the weather, and it will probably be condemnable in another few months if nothing is done to preserve it.

Does anyone know what is going on with it?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Its the old Railway Hotel it was damaged by fire several years ago and is most certainly condemned if not it will be at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Yes, I should have guessed it might be a former hotel.

So it is being left to go to ruin with nobody interested in doing anything about it? That is not good.

One obvious idea would be to turn it into commuter apartments.

Does anyone know who owns the site?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Yes, I should have guessed it might be a former hotel.

So it is being left to go to ruin with nobody interested in doing anything about it? That is not good.

One obvious idea would be to turn it into commuter apartments.

Does anyone know who owns the site?

Similar fate happened wit the La Touche hotel in Greystones left to rot /fire damaged with it protected structure status removed and is now being turned into apartments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I am a bit shocked that our planning system still allows this to happen in 2016.

Is it the sacredness of our property rights, or could it just be that Wicklow County Council are crap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Similar fate happened wit the La Touche hotel in Greystones left to rot /fire damaged with it protected structure status removed and is now being turned into apartments.

Only passed by there last week, shocking to see such a beautiful building being left to wither

21/25

• Advertisement
Advertisement