Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scooter NCT

• 24-08-2016 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Alright people, have to do NCT for my scooter.
    I've got a certain model of scooter where the mirror stems are built into the headset/beside the headlamp.
    The threads are broken on one of the stems so the mirror keeps swinging. I've had some luck fastening it using epoxy resin but it is a bit sensitive because of the vibrations.
    I'm fed up having to fix it and would just like to take the mirrors out altogether because the scoot looks better without them too.
    The only thing keeping them there is I'm not sure if it's legal to drive without mirrors on a scoot in Ireland or if I'll pass upcoming NCT.
    If anyone can clarify, I'd appreciate thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

jangobobb wrote: »
    Alright people, have to do NCT for my scooter.
    I've got a certain model of scooter where the mirror stems are built into the headset/beside the headlamp.
    The threads are broken on one of the stems so the mirror keeps swinging. I've had some luck fastening it using epoxy resin but it is a bit sensitive because of the vibrations.
    I'm fed up having to fix it and would just like to take the mirrors out altogether because the scoot looks better without them too.
    The only thing keeping them there is I'm not sure if it's legal to drive without mirrors on a scoot in Ireland or if I'll pass upcoming NCT.
    If anyone can clarify, I'd appreciate thanks

You're in luck, there's no nct on scooters or motorcycles in Ireland.
    As for the legality of having mirrors or not, I don't have any and I'm fairly sure you don't legally need them, but can't be sure on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jangobobb

Are you serious? Even if I just had the scooter imported I don't need NCT? I wonder why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Are you serious? Even if I just had the scooter imported I don't need NCT? I wonder why

Not enough bikes in the country to make it viable for a stand alone inspection system like the NCT and doing it in garages is never going to happen after what happened with the DOE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

If it's on an irish reg it doesn't need one.

If you're paying the VRT and getting it put on an irish reg, they don't give a ****e about condition, they just want to verify the chassis numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Does this mean there's currently no enforcement of noise and emissions? Do Gardai have the capacity/will to do roadside checks for either?

RWT/NCT coming in 2022 though, right? So keep the old cans presumably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Cienciano wrote: »
    You're in luck, there's no nct on scooters or motorcycles in Ireland.
    As for the legality of having mirrors or not, I don't have any and I'm fairly sure you don't legally need them, but can't be sure on it.

As far as I'm aware on a car they're technically not legally required, but if installed by the manufacturer must be present. So in effect they are a legal requirement because there are no cars for sale in Ireland without side mirrors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Lumen wrote: »
    Does this mean there's currently no enforcement of noise and emissions? Do Gardai have the capacity/will to do roadside checks for either?

No and no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

we're not the only ones: Belgium, home of the EU, doesn't have one either btw.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

gerrowadat wrote: »
    No and no.
    Cool. I was passed by a BMW RR on the N11 last night that sounded like the end of the world. Want that noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Mirrors and indicators are needed for type approval. All new bikes sold for road use in the EU must have them.

There's no legal requirement in Ireland to have mirrors or indicators on a motorcycle in use however.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement