Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net1 Infinity Package

Options
  • 24-08-2016 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Been a customer with Net1 for over 7 years and recently we were advised that the service we use is being shut down. If we want to continue having broadband , we'd have to sign up to Infinity.
    This is dearer, has more rules applied but more importantly has an 18 month contract attached.
    I would have reluctantly signed up, only we're in a process of a self build build, which involves leaving this hourse, renting a house and building a new house in the next year or so.
    Net1 have refused to budge on the contract and so if I sign up, we're liable for this if we move to a house that has no line of site to their masts.

Has anyone else experienced this ultimatum? It does seem very unfair that a company whom you've been a customer for 7 years is insisting on a new contract!!

what other broadband options are out there for Louth people? Eircom is not really an option so it's either Net1 or Imagine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I'm at the end of my tether with Net1. The service constantly drops out for a few seconds, enough to terminate a download. I had to return to Vodafone because the VoIP was so bad. Their support online usually results in a rude sarcastic one-liner and their telephone support isn't great either. I also asked them about Netfinity, hoping for a reasonable speed, but unsurprisingly got no response.

I'm actually looking forward to the new rural FTTH due in the next year or so. However, I decided to check out Imagine who claim that they can provide me with a line-of-sight service, although I actually doubt they can. They should have the base station installed in a couple of weeks so I'll find out then if I can get their up-to-90Mbs service or not. If it works, it'lld efinitely be bye-bye Net1 from me!

I'd suggest having a chat with Imagine - they may be able to help. One other thing to try - I got broadband with my new Vodafone landline since it was cheaper than landline alone. However, being too far from the exchange, I wasn't surprised when I only got 2Mbs. I was recently called by Vodafone to check I was happy with the service and when I mentioned that I was still using Net1 because of the speed, she simply flicked a switch and I now get around 5Mbs. Bizarrely Vodafone throttle their service if they think you're too far away, instead of allowing you to at least try!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

An absolute joke of a company. Forcing existing customers into new contracts has to be, at best unethical?!
    Still though, absolute zero movement or response to breakage of contract, siting that we would be liable for all remaining costs (anything up to €800).
    Am moving broadband provider and I would advise anyone else to consider the same. Even during their good times, the signal/internet would drop at the sight of rain. Net1 think they have rural people over a barrel with providing fast broadband, but they don't! There are plenty of decent providers out there providing a professional level of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭kazoo106

First of all, Im making it clear that over the years I have done some contract work for this company, and have been a customer serviced from Mount Oriel since 2005.
    I have been using the infinity package now for the last 5 weeks - the letter they sent out detailed the facts the legacy system and Infnity cannot successfully co exist and that the old legacy services are being switched off at the end of October.
    In the letter customers were advsed that moving forward, only one package would be available from Mount Oriel called Infinity and costing €45 a month (I previously paid €47 so was very happy)
    The options given in the letter were along the lines that if you payed by standing order (as I had been), this had to be changed to Direct Debit as they could not change the value on a standing order.
    The letter also stated that if I did not wish to sign up to Infinity, I could cancel my account with no penalty. It even went on to mention that there were alternative operators available should this be the case (presumably Imagine whom I think Net1 supply)
    Anyway - very very happy with the service - consistantly above 50Mb/s even in the evenings, very good value in the sticks for €45

kazoo106 wrote: »
    First of all, Im making it clear that over the years I have done some contract work for this company, and have been a customer serviced from Mount Oriel since 2005.
    I have been using the infinity package now for the last 5 weeks - the letter they sent out detailed the facts the legacy system and Infnity cannot successfully co exist and that the old legacy services are being switched off at the end of October.
    In the letter customers were advsed that moving forward, only one package would be available from Mount Oriel called Infinity and costing €45 a month (I previously paid €47 so was very happy)
    The options given in the letter were along the lines that if you payed by standing order (as I had been), this had to be changed to Direct Debit as they could not change the value on a standing order.
    The letter also stated that if I did not wish to sign up to Infinity, I could cancel my account with no penalty. It even went on to mention that there were alternative operators available should this be the case (presumably Imagine whom I think Net1 supply)
    Anyway - very very happy with the service - consistantly above 50Mb/s even in the evenings, very good value in the sticks for €45

Good for you.
    The main point of my argument was :
    A) Loyal customer for 7+ years and they're insisting I sign up to a new contract. That's unethical.
    B) If I was to break said contract, I would be liable to all remaining money owed. i.e. this could be over €800. Net1 couldn't provide certainty around this either, I was only verbally advised by their customer representative.
    If you sign up to Imagine and break their contract, it's a reasonable charge of €100.
    I know plenty of other people in similar situations to myself, who are cancelling their Net1 packages too.

I don't think they want to invest in a new radio + install costs at your premesis for you to walk away to a competitor in a month, believe they had to put the brakes on when some of the earlier customers were poached by Imagine - however, I'm sure if they don't live up to their end of the deal, they can't hold you. Its an 18month contract (just like VDSL from most companies)

• Advertisement

kazoo106 wrote: »
    I don't think they want to invest in a new radio + install costs at your premesis for you to walk away to a competitor in a month, believe they had to put the brakes on when some of the earlier customers were poached by Imagine - however, I'm sure if they don't live up to their end of the deal, they can't hold you. Its an 18month contract (just like VDSL from most companies)
    signing up to a new contract is perfectly acceptable. Signing up to a new contract when you're already a paid customer 7 years is not. Zero exceptions made for our case either, even though the girl in the office admitted that "sometimes the boss does make the odd exception!!".
    Good riddance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 appagri

Does anyone know what wireless technology Net1 uses compared to Imagines LTE?
    Why can Net1 only offer 40MB compared to imagines 70MB?

appagri wrote: »
    Does anyone know what wireless technology Net1 uses compared to Imagines LTE?
    Why can Net1 only offer 40MB compared to imagines 70MB?
    It's a good question, because to my knowledge they both work off the same masts.

Price point I think - €45 vs €59

Advertisement