Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Incredible Miz promo on Talking Smack

• 24-08-2016 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭

Miz & Daniel Bryan had a great segment on talking smack last night, that ended up with Daniel Bryan walking off the set.

Daniel basically said that he felt Miz wrestles like a coward, which led to Miz exploding (in shoot fashion), calling Bryan the coward for promising to the fans that he would be back to fight for the IC title, but retired instead. He told him to leave and go wrestle in a Bingo Hall.

Renee Young and Maryse looked very awkward throughout. May have been a worked shoot mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Given it was the close of the show, it was obviously a work, but that doesn't make it any less tremendous. You can watch it here:

https://streamable.com/yvwz

Considering how bad Miz has been much of the past few years, it does again show that if you just let guys speak from the heart (and I'm sure Miz was - he's close to tears) they are much more captivating then spouting whatever garbage has been written for them

Anyone wanting further proof, go and watch Dean Ambrose in his foam blue hat on Smackdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lord TSC wrote: »
    According to Mauro Ranalo, the new sets used on Raw and Smackdown this week are perms ant changes. Even though Raw was a re-use of the Summerslam set, both looked really awesome and different to each other so really happy if true.
    They are what sorry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Miz & Daniel Bryan had a great segment on talking smack last night, that ended up with Daniel Bryan walking off the set.

Daniel basically said that he felt Miz wrestles like a coward, which led to Miz exploding (in shoot fashion), calling Bryan the coward for promising to the fans that he would be back to fight for the IC title, but retired instead. He told him to leave and go wrestle in a Bingo Hall.

Renee Young and Maryse looked very awkward throughout. May have been a worked shoot mind.

I loved it, especially the bingo hall part. Just shows how good The Miz can be if you use him right and let him speak his mind. Be interesting to see what this interview does for The Miz in the next coming weeks, obviously him and DB can't wrestle but can have verbal altercations but who can they get to feud with The Miz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

MrMac84 wrote: »
    They are what sorry?

Permanent changes, they are the new sets from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Permanent changes, they are the new sets from now on.

Same set as on the first Raw after the split ya? Is smackdown stage same? I haven't watched it yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Same set as on the first Raw after the split ya? Is smackdown stage same? I haven't watched it yet
    No, Smackdown has a different stage to Raw now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

That was brilliant by Miz.

He's so much better as a heel and is one of the few that can cut very good, natural promos.

His promo on JBL after he won the US title was similarly brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Miz is a boss, carrying three titles like that.... AWESOME!!!

the-miz-pictures-16.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

That was terrible. He still sounded like he was reading from a script.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That was terrible. He still sounded like he was reading from a script.

Bullsh*t. That was pure passion.

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    Bullsh*t. That was pure passion.
    Sounded and looked lame to me. Like he practised it before, and he was still flubbing his lines. It screams "worked shoot", and a bad one at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Mod Note: Split this off from the news thread and added the video to the top post!

Thought it was the best thing Miz has ever done. Bryan was insulting the 'entertainment' part of his wrestling style and Miz twisted that 'coward' jab into an incredible heart-felt promo demanding respect. Wow. Loved it. Finally something must-see from Miz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Sounded and looked lame to me. Like he practised it before, and he was still flubbing his lines. It screams "worked shoot", and a bad one at that.
    Don't think he flubbed his lines actually, it made it sound like he was so angry he was searching for words. How red he got in the face, how passionate he was, brilliant. Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Whadda we got here....a hater...we gotta hater over here

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

That was really excellent. More of that WWE. its not hard, you just have to not do it all the time and make your stories actually mean something instead of "AND THIS WEEK A IS CHALLENGING B BECAUSE A WANTS THE WWE UNIVERSE TO RESPECT HIM! WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN!" - no, you put some passion and pride and thought into it. Fair play to Miz, work or shoot he pulled it off brilliantly while staying bang on true to his character.

and to that person saying he flubbed his lines and whatnot, the f**k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

As one of Miz's biggest critics around here, I thought it was a very good promo from him. (I wouldn't call it incredible though. That adjective should be reserved for the likes of Jake Roberts and Ric Flair and in their era, this promo would have been considered the norm.)

Plus I'm not convinced anything substantial can come from it since the guy he had the promo with is on the shelf, plus Miz's character isn't the kind of character that is going to go out there and all of a sudden be a tough guy on the back of this promo. He is a cowardly wrestler as Bryan said; that's his schtick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Would love it to work up to Bryan getting someone to wrestle for him, Samoa Joe would fit the bill perfectly.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Don't think he flubbed his lines actually, it made it sound like he was so angry he was searching for words. How red he got in the face, how passionate he was, brilliant. Brilliant.
    Doesn't matter how red his faces gets, if he still sounds fake and like a douche, like Miz always does.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Miz can run his mouth but when he wrestles he can't do it in a convincing way. Probably because he is mainly WWE trained and they work soft.

That is and always was his problem. He would be a mutli-time WWE champ if he could convincingly perform in the ring.

Cena and Batista got away with it because they were huge and could perform a big impressive move to get themselves over. But their strikes and a lot of their moves look weak.

I like the Miz as a character. From Miz and Morrison, to US Champ to MITB and WWE champ. He deserved and earned those spots but as his wrestling was mediocre other people could catch and pass him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

problem with this is that it wasn't on the live show, so it's unlikely that anything will come of it.
    if Vince was to have his say we'd probably have the return of the Honk-a-meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Doesn't matter how red his faces gets, if he still sounds fake and like a douche, like Miz always does.

play_themiz_576.jpg
    DM_7 wrote: »
    Miz can run his mouth but when he wrestles he can't do it in a convincing way. Probably because he is mainly WWE trained and they work soft.

Not soft think smart. Look at the injury record of the guys who come in and probably squeak past the medical. Not great reading. WWE like guys they can rely on plus he's bags of personality which is hard to come by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Miz tripped over his words once or twice but it was inconsequential by then, he had gotten his point across. I liked how he kept going well after Bryan walked, it was a proper rant.

Hopefully they run with it and we get less of the fake Spielberg call crap.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Not soft think smart. Look at the injury record of the guys who come in and probably squeak past the medical. Not great reading. WWE like guys they can rely on plus he's bags of personality which is hard to come by now

The WWE trained guys do work soft on striking. Lots of them still get injured doing more complex moves, moves required for the part of the card they reach. Cena, Batista and Orton all got lots of injuries, they have to work longer matches the higher the card they go.

Miz has had lots of time off, lots of time on TV without wrestling and lots of his matches were down the card with little time to do much. He doesn't have huge mileage compared to others. That is fine.

The issue with the experienced guys coming in is that they were left outside WWE for SO long. They had a policy of mainly recruiting muscle guys and they failed to train enough talent internally so had to turn to the guys they overlooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Miz tripped over his words once or twice but it was inconsequential by then, he had gotten his point across. I liked how he kept going well after Bryan walked, it was a proper rant.

Hopefully they run with it and we get less of the fake Spielberg call crap.

They could play that off as him being so enraged and angry.

The scripted stuff isn't the problem it's the fact that the majority of superstars both male and female can't take what they are given and put the things in their own words/ put their own spin on it and make it seem like it isn't them just parroting it back on camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

DM_7 wrote: »
    The WWE trained guys do work soft on striking. Lots of them still get injured doing more complex moves, moves required for the part of the card they reach. Cena, Batista and Orton all got lots of injuries, they have to work longer matches the higher the card they go.

Miz has had lots of time off, lots of time on TV without wrestling and lots of his matches were down the card with little time to do much. He doesn't have huge mileage compared to others. That is fine.

The issue with the experienced guys coming in is that they were left outside WWE for SO long. They had a policy of mainly recruiting muscle guys and they failed to train enough talent internally so had to turn to the guys they overlooked.

Yeah Cena & those are far bigger than Miz, he's hardly even comparative in physique. He gets his character. It'd look unconvincing if he was throwing kicks and strikes like I dunno Low Ki or doing old Jerry Lynn spots?
    I'm not sure what you mean by soft striking as surely the idea is to not go in the ring and hit hard....unless you want to make a shorter career.
    WWE also leave the lads pissing into the wind down in NXT in their peak years after signing them too.
    Not his fault that Miz has less mileage, helps he is smart enough to know and perform a promo can do more to get attention than a long TV match with Cesaro or Sheamus that fills time rather than anything productive cause thats what most of these long TV matches are essentially doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

It was very interesting that Bryan talked about wwe not letting him wrestle and the wwe soft style, doesn't sound like things wwe would want being mentioned. It was almost as if they were working themselves into a shoot with some of those lines.

This is stating the obvious probably, but I think what made the promo so good is, like a lot of great storylines/characters in wrestling, that it was based on reality. It must be frustrating for Miz with how much he still gets criticised. Go back to the fatal four way at extreme rules and a lot of people commenting that they were excited for cesaro, zayn and owens but not wanting miz in with them, at least that's what I remember.

Another point that's being made here before, these network shows are brilliant for character development, with talent getting the opportunity to show more personality by having much more freedom in what they say than on tv.

Now I just hope something positive comes from that promo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

This always amuses me, nothing like being the smartest guy in the room by calling 'worked shoot'. Isn't everything in wrestling a worked shoot? Or is the rest of it a worked, erm, work? :D

Monokne wrote: »
    This always amuses me, nothing like being the smartest guy in the room by calling 'worked shoot'. Isn't everything in wrestling a worked shoot? Or is the rest of it a worked, erm, work? :D
    You know I was quoting someone using the term "worked shoot", right? It's used in the very first post of this thread. Why didn't you call out others who used the term? I mean, it's a term that exists, for better or worse. You know exactly what it means, what it's used to imply. That Bryan/Miz segment was a worked shoot. A bad one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Now I just hope something positive comes from that promo.

Miz as WWE Champion would be the biggest positive for him, meh not for me to be honest but he has his fans. I never quite can take the Miz serious for some reason. Want AJ styles to have a long run with the title once he gets it.

For me something positive would be having Bryan turn into a heel GM imo, just have him as a embittered ex wrestler who blames WWE for not letting him wrestle. Have him bring up Samoa Joe as his enforcer, just beat down anyone who attempts to stand up to him. Then it lead to a feud with Shane Mcmahon and Bryan for Smackdown. The biggest problem would people boo Bryan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

Good promo is good.

Genuine shocker in wwe - especially with some of the **** Miz does actually get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Never really cared for the Miz before but that was brilliant.
    I'm going to be watching him more now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I'd say Miz was waiting to be able to just go off on one like that for a long time.

I remember him contributing to Punk's documentary where the latter pulled no punches on what he thought about Miz's spot at one time.

Miz just had to sit there and be all "gee whizz". Yeah they probably became buddies and that's why Miz was a part of the doc, but it had to hurt hearing someone say that you're basically undeserving of the success you've had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Felt it was very forced and contrived tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Mod note: You're free to disagree but don't insult your fellow boardsie! You should come here to relax, not get attacked. Just ignore and move on. Cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'm not a fan of the Miz at all, but I felt that was great. He had true passion in his eyes there at the very end, and of it was a work, all involved deserve credit, Maryse and Renee for how awkward they looked throughout.

I don't get the hate on this in here though. Frank.O.Pinion - are you attempting to live up to your username, is that your "gimmick"? It seems that you only come on here to trash stuff. I have yet to see you contribute something that you consider good, so what gives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Throwback Thursday to another savage Miz vignette, probably one of the more underrated of recent times. I love this.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Frank.O.Pinion - are you attempting to live up to your username, is that your "gimmick"? It seems that you only come on here to trash stuff. I have yet to see you contribute something that you consider good, so what gives?
    No gimmick. Actually, I try not to post in the wrestling forum at all, and just read the threads. Like this thread, I express an opinion, first word responded back to me is, "bullsh*t". Anyways, my posting style has nothing to do with this thread, if you have a problem with me, report it to a mod.

No gimmick. Actually, I try not to post in the wrestling forum at all, and just read the threads. Like this thread, I express an opinion, first word responded back to me is, "bullsh*t". Anyways, my posting style has nothing to do with this thread, if you have a problem with me, report it to a mod.

Never said I had a problem Frank. And i'm all about free speech too. Just happened to notice that when you do post, it's negative. Always. If the product bothers you that much, or is not good, why bother with it?

What is it you consider to be good going on in the wrestling scene? I'd like to hear the other side of it too.

NXT is great, for example, I just don't have much interest in posting stuff like "that was awesome" or whatever after an episode of NXT. Same with movies/tv shows, there's plenty of stuff I enjoy, I just prefer talking about the crap stuff online and debating about how crap it is.

NXT is great, for example, I just don't have much interest in posting stuff like "that was awesome" or whatever after an episode of NXT. Same with movies/tv shows, there's plenty of stuff I enjoy, I just prefer talking about the crap stuff online and debating about how crap it is.

Fair enough Frank, thanks for sharing that. I agree too, NXT is great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If this was indeed completely scripted, they really should have given the slot to Ziggler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Neil3030 wrote: »
    If this was indeed completely scripted, they really should have given the slot to Ziggler.

Sure why would Bryan have any problem with Dolph?

correction wrote: »
    Sure why would Bryan have any problem with Dolph?

Why would he have a problem with Miz? You write one into the script.

Bryan: "Hey Dolph, this whole show-stealing gimmick is cute, but I think you wrestle like a coward.."

Dolph: "Ranty ranty ranty"

Dolph goes over and has an angle to cement a main event run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Bryan: "Hey Dolph, this whole show-stealing gimmick is cute, but I think you wrestle like a coward.."

But Mix is a proper heat seeking chicken shīt heel. That is why it works so well with him. Dolph doesn't generate heat. Super over at times as a face though with the high octane style stuff.

Far better suited to the miz imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

He's feuded with the miz in the past. When they started in nxt miz was his pro.

But I don't think Miz is drawing heel heat here; Bryan was a bit of a jerk calling him a coward, especially the day the new Raw champ is getting surgery on his injured shoulder, and Miz was justified to stand up for himself and his consistent position in the company.

Like I said though, this is all presuming the whole thing was scripted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,623 ✭✭✭✭CSF

But nobody has any real reason to think Ziggler wrestles like a coward. It would be an opinion held by some about the Miz. People would look at guys who really put themselves on the line in the ring and view Miz's safe style as cowardly in comparison.

There'd be others who think completely differently and think guys like Bryan and McGuinness' style stupidly shortened their careers unnecessarily.

The angle works because of who the 2 people are who are having the argument. Hard to think of 2 people who more embody both sides of that particular argument.

CSF wrote: »
    But nobody has any real reason to think Ziggler wrestles like a coward. It would be an opinion held by some about the Miz. People would look at guys who really put themselves on the line in the ring and view Miz's safe style as cowardly in comparison.

There'd be others who think completely differently and think guys like Bryan and McGuinness' style stupidly shortened their careers unnecessarily.

The angle works because of who the 2 people are who are having the argument. Hard to think of 2 people who more embody both sides of that particular argument.

I get your point, but from a storyline perspective (and again, assuming all this was all kayfabe) I just don't see where Miz goes from here. Is this building to a match with Bryan? Almost definitely not. Will he continue with his deluded wannabe A-List actor gimmick? Probably. Will this promo help him in any way, or be built on? Probably not. Plus, Miz just supposedly got off the phone with Spielberg, why did he so fly so easily off the handle? The whole thing was very out of place and very out of character.

But take someone like Ziggler, who has just missed two big opportunities at a major prize, and by rights should be feeling pretty deluded and pissed off right now. He'd be a prime candidate to let a little criticism of his style set him over the edge, and if he had pulled off a similar promo (which I believe he has the skills to do) he could really build on this in the coming weeks, ideally spring-boarding a heel turn.

As you say, you probably couldn't accuse him of being a coward, but there's probably a similar plausible criticism Bryan could have found to set him off, and I think you could have done a lot more with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

sky88 wrote: »
    He's feuded with the miz in the past. When they started in nxt miz was his pro.

They've even kept this disdain going over recent years. I'm almost certain there was an angle where Miz tried to take credit for Bryan's success a couple years ago. Even more recently during the draft, Bryan made a point of saying he didn't want The Miz but his hand was forced because SmackDown needed the IC Title. Miz was absolutely the perfect person to do this with and as a big fan of his I hope WWE run with it in someway. A bitter Miz lashing out because people don't respect him is a good way to transition away from the Hollywood stuff he's been doing for years now.

Bryan had some mad storylines in WWE so am OTT heel GM would not surprise me.

For example, Bellas and Vegan/Virgin confusion, Aj Lee love triangles, Team Hell No and Dr Selby, the Wyatts brainwashing, Cheating on Brie etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement