Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Incredible Miz promo on Talking Smack

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,623 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I get your point, but from a storyline perspective (and again, assuming all this was all kayfabe) I just don't see where Miz goes from here. Is this building to a match with Bryan? Almost definitely not. Will he continue with his deluded wannabe A-List actor gimmick? Probably. Will this promo help him in any way, or be built on? Probably not. Plus, Miz just supposedly got off the phone with Spielberg, why did he so fly so easily off the handle? The whole thing was very out of place and very out of character.

But take someone like Ziggler, who has just missed two big opportunities at a major prize, and by rights should be feeling pretty deluded and pissed off right now. He'd be a prime candidate to let a little criticism of his style set him over the edge, and if he had pulled off a similar promo (which I believe he has the skills to do) he could really build on this in the coming weeks, ideally spring-boarding a heel turn.

As you say, you probably couldn't accuse him of being a coward, but there's probably a similar plausible criticism Bryan could have found to set him off, and I think you could have done a lot more with that.

To answer your question, I don't know where they're going with The Miz with this. I wouldn't have any particular faith that they'll do good with it but sure we're set to find out either way.

Hasn't Ziggler just come off that very storyline though? Didn't his whole thing with Ambrose revolve around him not being able to get the job done? I mean you could have Bryan go down the same route in an extremely kayfabe way, and have Ziggler go nuts in a potential move towards heel.

But that's not the same as what you've got here where they've really blurred the lines between kayfabe and reality. They've got the 2 lads playing out the role of what they probably think on the matter anyway and that added pinch of realness is what made people stand up and take notice of this promo.

You couldn't do that with Ziggler as he's excellent in the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Remember Cesaro's rants after the draft? They went nowhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

CSF wrote: »
    To answer your question, I don't know where they're going with The Miz with this. I wouldn't have any particular faith that they'll do good with it but sure we're set to find out either way.

Come on, we both know exactly what will happen. Steph will appear next week on SmackDown (despite being Raw Comm) to slap Miz and scold him for disrespecting a legend (she always hated). #WWElogic
    Hasn't Ziggler just come off that very storyline though? Didn't his whole thing with Ambrose revolve around him not being able to get the job done? I mean you could have Bryan go down the same route in an extremely kayfabe way, and have Ziggler go nuts in a potential move towards heel.

I'd rather see that, tbh.
    But that's not the same as what you've got here where they've really blurred the lines between kayfabe and reality. They've got the 2 lads playing out the role of what they probably think on the matter anyway and that added pinch of realness is what made people stand up and take notice of this promo.

You couldn't do that with Ziggler as he's excellent in the ring.

If there was a departure from the script, then yeah it had to be Miz. But I guess I see it as just a very good kayfabe promo, despite the history between the two. The clues for me are Bryan walking away so quickly, and Miz calling him a coward for not coming back to wrestling (kayfabe heel move to mock a certified neurological condition).

Though it is interesting that Miz hasn't tweeted since Tuesday night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,623 ✭✭✭✭CSF

No it was absolutely planned. But it still blurs the lines of kayfabe. The Ziggler angle was all about his inability to get the job done despite 'stealing the show'. Purely kayfabe seeing as in reality ones ability to get the job done is decided by creative.

Whereas with Miz they're really talking about a superstar's willingness to go to any lengths to entertain the crowd and put on a good match, whereas if they go into kayfabe land this doesn't matter because it only matters really who wins the match, and Miz is IC champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Neil3030 wrote: »
    If this was indeed completely scripted, they really should have given the slot to Ziggler.

Why? Miz has earned anything and everything they can give him considering how good he has been these last four months. The guy is the best natural heel they have on the whole roster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,976 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will they keep teasing Bryan coming out of medical retirement with these segments it's not the first time he has said "They" won't let him wrestle.

Will he become the Heel GM since both shows have huge faces as the GM's being bitter because he can no longer wrestle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Remember Cesaro's rants after the draft? They went nowhere

Well he lost at the PPV and wasn't in the top 8 for the four-way matches on RAW :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Well he lost at the PPV and wasn't in the top 8 for the four-way matches on RAW :D
    Thought that was because of the best-of-seven series though? And Foley has said that whichever of them impressed him would get a title shot so I'm guessing that's where they are going with it, which is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Thought that was because of the best-of-seven series though? And Foley has said that whichever of them impressed him would get a title shot so I'm guessing that's where they are going with it, which is good.

A US title shot I think they meant. Should have really being Cesaro and Zayns in the best of seven match or used it for someone like Owens. It's a good concept for a match but who wants to watch Cesaro and Seamus fight each other seven times.

• Advertisement

For a best of 7 does that mean their next 7 matches will only be against each other(assuming it goes the distance) or can they fight others?

As for miz, what kind of reaction is this getting in the wider online wrestling community?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Best of 7 and all matches against each other. Basically think of it as the first to get 4 wins wins the series.

Really positive from what I can tell, to the point where sites like kotaku and such have done articles on the promo.

Best of 7 and all matches against each other. Basically think of it as the first to get 4 wins wins the series.

Really positive from what I can tell, to the point where sites like kotaku and such have done articles on the promo.

Just meant can they fight other opponents between their matches or do they have to fight each other 7 times in a row before they can fight anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Oh sorry I misunderstood. I don't think there's any set rules in that regard, pretty sure in most best of sevens it tends to be consecutive matches. Pretty sure the one Booker T and Benoit had in WCW wasn't consecutive though, think they both had enhancement matches and the like on Thunder/Saturday Night.

Advertisement