Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment blocks in Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Solo89

your looking at 850/900 for a two bed now

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Solo89

Not sure re lights . it is a dark and agree could do with some more lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

How likely is it that a three bedroom apartment would pop up in Limerick City? I only see 2 bedroom apartments really.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

How likely is it that a three bedroom apartment would pop up in Limerick City? I only see 2 bedroom apartments really.

There are 3 bedroom apartments in City Central (Bedford Row). KMPM would be the people to ask about those.

I'm looking for a 1 bed and it's probably a similar situation. They're there but few and far between so you have to ask around and jump on them when they come up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Guys can I jump in and ask what are the apartments like in Newtown House in Henry Street? Is there anything I need to be aware of? Thinking of going to view a unit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Maz2016 wrote:
    Guys can I jump in and ask what are the apartments like in Newtown House in Henry Street? Is there anything I need to be aware of? Thinking of going to view a unit

They seem quite small. A two bed unit measures less than 700sq ft. There are no car parking spaces included and the energy rating is C2 which is only average. The location is very busy with a large volume of traffic so noise could be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Maz2016

chicorytip wrote: »
    They seem quite small. A two bed unit measures less than 700sq ft. There are no car parking spaces included and the energy rating is C2 which is only average. The location is very busy with a large volume of traffic so noise could be an issue.

Yeah I was thinking that as well. Price wise for a new one is under 100k and that’s what was drawing me to them.

Is Rhebogue road/Rhebogue in general a good area? The area looks okay to me, but I'm not from Limerick.
    Saw a house there, but strangely it only has one bathroom to 3 people which I thought was odd. Just wondering what the area is like? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ilovesmecounty

Hey gang, there’s a good chance I’m going to end up living in limerick for the foreseeable for personal and professional reasons. I can get a mortgage, but as a single applicant, I’d want it to be as cheap as possible. Also, rentable in future as I won’t be staying in limerick long term. Buying really is better value than renting (imho) at this moment in time. The apartments in steamboat quay seem to be too good to be true. Is the catch junkies outside the building? Or are they living in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Hey gang, there’s a good chance I’m going to end up living in limerick for the foreseeable for personal and professional reasons. I can get a mortgage, but as a single applicant, I’d want it to be as cheap as possible. Also, rentable in future as I won’t be staying in limerick long term. Buying really is better value than renting (imho) at this moment in time. The apartments in steamboat quay seem to be too good to be true. Is the catch junkies outside the building? Or are they living in there?

Dont live there but frequent the area and I've never seen any junkies or homeless people in the area. Mount Kenneth apartments seem a lot worse tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Steamboat Quay is just very poorly designed. Because of that they've never had a high value, and they've attracted difficult tenants. Mount Kenneth is much the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

When you say poorly designed, zulutango, do you just mean bad layout/access/use of space, or are they prone to issues with heating/plumbing/insulation/build quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ilovesmecounty

zulutango wrote: »
    Steamboat Quay is just very poorly designed. Because of that they've never had a high value, and they've attracted difficult tenants. Mount Kenneth is much the same.

Would you mind expanding on the poor design? Is it layout, heating etc? Or a pain to get in and out of?

peckerhead wrote: »
    When you say poorly designed, zulutango, do you just mean bad layout/access/use of space, or are they prone to issues with heating/plumbing/insulation/build quality?

I would say all of the above. Some are spacious, but they've funny shaped rooms with pokey corners. Insulation is very poor. From recollection they are heated with electric storage heaters, and that's a fairly sure sign of a development built to maximise the return for the developer at the expense of the resident. Although not a hard and fast rule, if you see electric storage heaters it is highly likely that costs were cut throughout during construction, i.e. materials used will be at the cheaper end of the scale and finishes poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

testicles wrote: »

Yep. And most of the apartment blocks are ****e designed for low income tenants and quick return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There is very poor street lighting down on the stretch in front of the river too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Is Rhebogue road/Rhebogue in general a good area? The area looks okay to me, but I'm not from Limerick. Saw a house there, but strangely it only has one bathroom to 3 people which I thought was odd. Just wondering what the area is like? Thanks!

peckerhead wrote:

Rhebogue is grand. Excellent location with all amenities nearby. A number of relatively new housing developments. No trouble spots, as far as I know.

With regard to Steamboat Quay the top floor apartments in the oldest block ( next to the skatepark) did have problems with water leaking through the ceilings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I am paying €1000 for a 2 bedroom apartment in city centre. Don't think it's really for low income tenants.
    I couldn't find any other good option when I moved in.
    zulutango wrote: »
    Yep. And most of the apartment blocks are ****e designed for low income tenants and quick return.

May I ask which development that is?

• Advertisement

There's a lot of people leaving Riverpoint at the moment (myself included) as the rents have gone up across the board so there's about to be a good few 2 bedroom apartments available here.

I've been here for several years so if anyone has any questions about the place I can probably help. It definitely has its good and bad points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

le_girl wrote: »
    There's a lot of people leaving Riverpoint at the moment (myself included) as the rents have gone up across the board so there's about to be a good few 2 bedroom apartments available here.

I've been here for several years so if anyone has any questions about the place I can probably help. It definitely has its good and bad points.

Would be interested to hear about those good/bad points if you wouldn't mind.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Would be interested to hear about those good/bad points if you wouldn't mind.

Good:
    - location (so handy to get in and out of the city and also within walking distance of the city centre. Close but not too close to the centre if that makes sense. Lots of nice walking/running areas)
    - great views (depending on which direction you're facing obviously)
    - safe building and area (haven't had a single issue with safety in the years I've been here)
    - building is maintained fairly well. Could be better I suppose but no major issues
    - caretakers are very nice.

Bad:
    - COLD (like, really cold in winter. Not sure if this is because my unit has large windows facing the river but it's freezing in the dead of winter. Standard storage heaters that are expensive to keep running. It just feels like the heat escapes so quickly. This winter has been pretty bad)
    - parking (very secure but they've never done anything about all of the office workers parking on the resident's level who shouldn't be allowed to. As a result, there's barely enough parking during working hours for the people that actually live here. At night and weekends it's fine. As far as I know, parking isn't even included for new tenants any more? Probably because there's not enough space during the day)
    - in the past year, new neighbours have been noisier than previously. Might just be my bad luck
    - the letting agents that took over my (and probably some of the other apartments) earlier this year are based in Dublin and hard to get in touch with because they're not local. I dealt with KMPM before this who were much better
    - a while back the fire alarms used to go off fairly often and sometimes in the middle of the night which wasn't fun (a common issue was people smoking in the hallways) but hasn't happened much at all as of late.

At the rent I was locked into for the past couple of years it's been fine but there's no way I'd pay €1,000 - €1,200 to live here which is what it's going up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

Where would you go instead? Doesn't seem to be much choice in the city these days..

Lads what's Clare St and Lelia St like to live around. I've also thought Clare St looked dodgy, but I know nothing about Lelia St so just wanted a second opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mgtol94

Hey guys. I'm looking at maybe renting a three bed apartment that's on the second/third floor of Arthur's Quay. The balcony looks out onto the bus stop. Has anyone lived here before or know anything about it? I'd be curious to hear what people think about the noise/heat situation in the apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Shox2711

Anyone have a rough estimate on how much it costs to heat the flats in these modern apartment blocks? I.e Strand and Riverpoint. Big glass windows straight onto the river sounds lovely in the summer but a curse in the winter.

Also is there any other sources for rentals other than daft these days?

Also, Riverpoint apartments are 1200 for a 2 bed, and parking isn’t even included? One ad says (paid) parking is available ‘nearby’.. Just me or is that an utter scam?

I know that heating costs on Harvey's Quay are astronomical because they've a lot of glazing, which isn't good glazing to begin with and the heaters are electric storage type which is expensive regardless of how well built the apartment is. Riverpoint also has electric storage heaters, by the way. That's not a good sign. People should really pay attention to the BER of a dwelling when renting or buying. It's a fairly good indication of build quality. Almost everything in Limerick has a low rating.

Living in Riverpoint my ESB bills ranged from 90 in the summer to 250 in the winter. That's with only one person living in a 2 bed and being very, very careful with usage. It just leaked heat. I'm not sure if my unit was worse as it was on a corner and had more windows. One of the bedrooms especially had a very bad draft.

A few years ago when I moved in parking was included so I'm not sure why that's changed and why they aren't even offering parking for an extra charge. There is an underground car park. The problem is that the lower level (supposed to be for residents) is overrun during the day with cars that shouldn't be parked there (workers that should be using other levels). Building management know well that this is happening but haven't done anything about it. There would be loads of space for all residents if they stopped this because at night and on weekends it's fine.

If they're asking people to pay extra on top of 1200 in rent to park down the road that's madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

Advertisement