Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best business to open in Ireland today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Anyone thinking of a business that appeals to saving money, unless you scale up massively , you're wasting time. [..] you never want to sell something to somebody trying to save money , they'll always move on to the cheaper online store / foreign import / competitor the second they can . Avoid races to the bottom on price. Sell something on merit , the quality, why its better than the other brands, luxury goods, popular good that wealthy people buy .

100% agreed.

"Solve expensive problems."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

biko wrote: »
    Popup restaurant

Yeah right, a pop-up is there as a marketing device, hardly a money maker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Easy

One that you have high level expertise in, adequate funding for and the desire to make succeed.

Everything else will sort itself out

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

[quote="Muahahaha;100794431"
    The next phase of home brewing might be interesting for a business- basically automated brewing units that are run via a phone app. Add ingredients, punch in parameters and the machine does the rest. Currently they are €1000+ in price but when they come down theres no reason why many household will buy them. Pubs and clubs too. It will end the hassle of home brewing and make it alot more accessible to the [/quote]

Any chance of a link for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

The problem with the undertaker business is that you need to know an undertaker first to get into the business, you have to be recommended by a current undertaker to take up training.

Or you can buy/start a business and hire trained staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭route9

What about online - where do people think the opportunities are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Any chance of a link for this?

Heres one but Im sure there are others. They just shipped their first units this year after a successful Kickstarter.
    http://www.brewbot.io/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Since things are starting to get better what do you think would be the best business to start up today?

The hipster trend will end soon. Fake tan with masculine names so ex hipsters don't have tan lines, you can still use the tango fake tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

route9 wrote: »
    What about online - where do people think the opportunities are there?

have you ever looked for a product and been unable to find it / had to go past 4 pages in google to find somewhere in an obscure country to get it , well then start selling it, SEO the crap out of your site and do quick delivery times.

you can pay fulfilment services to warehouse, stock control , pick and ship the things so you can operate from home with just yourself / another staff member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

What do people think of financial planning? I am thinking of going self employed in this area, I.e. pension funds, income protection, savings plans for future expenses such as college funds and a big one I think, planning for people in their senior years to bridge the gap between the age they would like to retire, say 60-65 and the age state pension will kick in (projected to be pushing towards 70 soon).

Also to provide an income for retired/semi retired to continue paying rent, as a lot of people missed out on home ownership and I don't think they ever can now due to age and time constraints.

Good, solid, honest, financial advice and proper planning. There is a huge pensions time bomb ticking, well documented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Deadwards.com

have you ever looked for a product and been unable to find it / had to go past 4 pages in google to find somewhere in an obscure country to get it , well then start selling it, SEO the crap out of your site and do quick delivery times.

you can pay fulfilment services to warehouse, stock control , pick and ship the things so you can operate from home with just yourself / another staff member.

This 100%. The hardest part is knowing what product(s). I have an SEO and web design company that I already use for a different product but now I am trying to find a new project to set up with. Ideas on an envelope please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

https://www.fsai.ie/faqs/animals_in_food_premises.html

we have pretty tough laws on this .

Can I bring my pet dog or cat into a food business, such as a shop, café or restaurant?
    No. Under national and EU food hygiene legislation pet dogs and cats are generally not permitted in any food premises. An exception however is made for guide, assistance or companion dogs.

So it seems that a EU rule or law does not allow pets in any food premises.
    If this is a EU rule or law, why are other countries allowed to have pets in restaurants?
    As a matter of fact, where I live dogs and pets are allowed nearly everywhere.

Can I bring my pet dog or cat into a food business, such as a shop, café or restaurant?
    No. Under national and EU food hygiene legislation pet dogs and cats are generally not permitted in any food premises. An exception however is made for guide, assistance or companion dogs.

So it seems that a EU rule or law does not allow pets in any food premises.
    If this is a EU rule or law, why are other countries allowed to have pets in restaurants?

national and EU, 2 different entities rolled into that no.

This 100%. The hardest part is knowing what product(s). I have an SEO and web design company that I already use for a different product but now I am trying to find a new project to set up with. Ideas on an envelope please :)

look at those deals sites like groupon and check for items that regularly sell out very quick. then find something very similar for under that price and sell it for that all the time. Although this is very much a changeable business as with a previous post I made, selling to people who only see price is not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Deadwards.com

look at those deals sites like groupon and check for items that regularly sell out very quick. then find something very similar for under that price and sell it for that all the time. Although this is very much a changeable business as with a previous post I made, selling to people who only see price is not a good idea.

Agreed, if price is the only USP it will only be a matter of time before you are undercut. I am currently involved in a printed card business and whilst we are not the cheapest we are competitive but I fully believe our customer service and product quality make us stand out of the crowd. I am looking now to set something else up part time but the key question is what. I don't want to compete with the Groupons of this world as the funding required to even try to compete in this space is insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭route9

Stupid WiFi connection, don't think my comment posted! I was just saying that it certainly could work, but if there are few or no players on page 1 for the product, then maybe it isn't that in demand? If it is then it might only be a short time before loads of competitors appear and undercut you, after you've spent weeks and months growing your rankings.

I have seen people do the Shopify / online store thing where they drive traffic to their store via FB ads - that could work very well as you can turn it on straight away and have less competition too in a sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

While Uber is figuring out Irish legislation beat them too it with an Irish version called "faoi"
    When Uber finally arrives utilize lead pipes and intimidation to force them to leave again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

after the lees cross and other use scandals, you'll find this business getting a seriously heavy dose of regulation in the near future, and as always with our governments reactionary ideas, the regulation will go too far and push all but the big boys out of the game.

Some would say that's the name of the game ;).
    Welcome to business in Ireland 2.0. We're the best lil country in the world to do business in, if you're are huge multinational.
    But if you're a smb we the government promise to regulate the industry youre in so much that you end up just as a tax paying not so golden goose on life support.
    Cos you know you should never slay the golden goose.
    Just keep it on miserly rations and shure it'll be grande.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Since things are starting to get better what do you think would be the best business to start up today?

Bubble tea shop in and around Grand Canal Dock... save me the cycle to Fade St!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭Wheety

mrcheez wrote: »
    Bubble tea shop in and around Grand Canal Dock... save me the cycle to Fade St!

Could you please tell me what Bubble Tea is? There's a place on Abbey Street which sells it.

Is it carbonated?

It all sounds very hipsterish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

bmwguy wrote: »
    Good, solid, honest, financial advice and proper planning. There is a huge pensions time bomb ticking, well documented.

True but that time bomb is ticking because people don't engage such services in the first place.

Wheety wrote: »
    Could you please tell me what Bubble Tea is? There's a place on Abbey Street which sells it.

Is it carbonated?

It all sounds very hipsterish.

Not carbonated. It's really something that should be tried rather than described. It originated in Taiwan and is majorly popular in Oz (where I first tried it) and Canada and other places with a multi-cultural workforce (like Grand Canal Dock).

Mainly popular with teens-30-somethings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea#History

I've gotten several of the guys in here addicted to the stuff and we have our weekly "bubble-tea run" which inevitably involves me cycling into town with all the hassle that involves. If there was one closer we'd probably go daily :)

Try Matcha or Taro flavours.

Not carbonated. It's really something that should be tried rather than described. It originated in Taiwan and is majorly popular in Oz (where I first tried it) and Canada and other places with a multi-cultural workforce (like Grand Canal Dock).

Mainly popular with teens-30-somethings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea#History

I've gotten several of the guys in here addicted to the stuff and we have our weekly "bubble-tea run" which inevitably involves me cycling into town with all the hassle that involves. If there was one closer we'd probably go daily :)

Try Matcha or Taro flavours.

That ship has long sailed !

Was trendy about 3 years ago.

Think fat lumpy rice pudding in difference colours and you get the idea :p

Bandara wrote: »
    That ship has long sailed !

Was trendy about 3 years ago.

Whatever about trendy, if there is a particular foodstuff that people like, that's timeless and doesn't go out of fashion.

- Chatime. Henry Wang Yao-Hui founded Chatime in 2005 in Hsinchu, Taiwan. It now operates 1,002 outlets in 26 countries.

- Chalulla Bubble Tea Thai Brand
    CoCo Fresh Tea & Juice was founded in Taiwan by Hung Chao-shui in 1997. They have over 1,000 branches in China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Taiwan, USA and Canada.

- EasyWay. Founded in 1992 in Taiwan has 700 stores globally in South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United States.

- Gong Cha. Founded in Kaoshiung, Taiwan in 2006, Gong Cha has over 600 stores in Australia, China, Hong Kong, Korea, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Cambodia, USA, Indonesia, Malaysia and Myanmar.

- Quickly. Over 2000 locations in Africa, Asia, Europe and North America. Founded by Nancy Yang in Taiwan.

Popular enough for a "fad" :rolleyes:

Whatever about trendy, if there is a particular foodstuff that people like, that's timeless and doesn't go out of fashion.

- Chatime. Henry Wang Yao-Hui founded Chatime in 2005 in Hsinchu, Taiwan. It now operates 1,002 outlets in 26 countries.

- Chalulla Bubble Tea Thai Brand
    CoCo Fresh Tea & Juice was founded in Taiwan by Hung Chao-shui in 1997. They have over 1,000 branches in China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Taiwan, USA and Canada.

- EasyWay. Founded in 1992 in Taiwan has 700 stores globally in South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United States.

- Gong Cha. Founded in Kaoshiung, Taiwan in 2006, Gong Cha has over 600 stores in Australia, China, Hong Kong, Korea, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Cambodia, USA, Indonesia, Malaysia and Myanmar.

- Quickly. Over 2000 locations in Africa, Asia, Europe and North America. Founded by Nancy Yang in Taiwan.

Popular enough for a "fad" :rolleyes:

We'll agree to disagree

Yes there are thousands of bubble tea shops in countries where they drink bubble tea

Similarly there are thousands of Macari style chippers in Ireland, where we eat fish and chips

However, I wouldn't open a chain of Macaris in Beijing, no matter how successful they are in Ireland

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

While Uber is figuring out Irish legislation beat them too it with an Irish version called "faoi"
    When Uber finally arrives utilize lead pipes and intimidation to force them to leave again

Uber that lost $1.2 billion in the first 6 months of this year alone?
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jaysomaney/2016/08/26/uber-lost-more-than-1-2-billion-in-the-first-half-of-2016-alone/#77c35b461b77

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

What about a Adventure Fun Run/Race Course?Something like Hell and back.
    Everybody is into fitness these days.
    Bit of open ground and forestry with a stream running through and set up different Obstacles?
    Biggest expense would be Insurance and providing Car parking I'd Say.?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Iceland, there are a good few of these in Ireland at this stage. One co have done a nice business of transporting the triathlon gear in those competitions.

I think a look at New Zealand at some of the adventure stuff they do there might open possibilities in that field.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Muahahaha wrote: »
    There isnt a lot of profit in home brewing equipment and it is very competitive online And Tesco also sell it.

The next phase of home brewing might be interesting for a business- basically automated brewing units that are run via a phone app. Add ingredients, punch in parameters and the machine does the rest. Currently they are €1000+ in price but when they come down theres no reason why many household will buy them. Pubs and clubs too. It will end the hassle of home brewing and make it alot more accessible to the masses.

Another one is cemetries. Buy 3 or 4 acres of agri land for €10k an acre. Get permission for a new cemetary. Sell plots for €5k each. You would gross about €500,000 an acre (100 plots) over time. Theres a man in south Dublin doing this right now and he is selling the most scenic plots and larger corner plots for €13k a pop.

That makes sense surely, you're dead in the ground and you want the most scenic spot in the graveyard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Earthhorse wrote: »
    True but that time bomb is ticking because people don't engage such services in the first place.

A well advertised and marketed version of this would appeal to quite a few I know of, in particular those in professional roles that aren't business or finance based. They know they need to plan appropriately but they also know to stay away from commission based guys.

I was trying to find an independant advisor a few months ago and gave up because it was too damn confusing.

Advertisement