Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best business to open in Ireland today?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Well, without knowing more I don't know why you found it confusing. Most of the finance industry works off commission so I don't know why people would be put off commission based guys. Either way in a broader sense I think the market you describe isn't as rich as you think. You'd spend more money chasing it than you'd receive in return for catching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Bandara wrote: »
    We'll agree to disagree

Yes there are thousands of bubble tea shops in countries where they introduced bubble tea

;)

FYP

Just like there are several regular bubble tea drinkers in my place after I introduced them to it. Its not for everyone, just like some people don't like Guinness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

mrcheez wrote: »
    FYP

Just like there are several regular bubble tea drinkers in my place after I introduced them to it. Its not for everyone, just like some people don't like Guinness :D

Fyp there used to be about three bubble tea shops/stalls around drury Street/Georges Street arcade a few years back, now there are none

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

The business idea is a very small part of the likely success of a venture, even a cracker of a concept will only succeed if the promoter has the resources, and talents/experience to execute it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Water John

ward, you are correct, But I still believe the core idea is often not given its true credit. It is in the interest of these other contributors, esp finance for such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

Water John wrote: »
    ward, you are correct, But I still believe the core idea is often not given its true credit. It is in the interest of these other contributors, esp finance for such.[/QUOTE

True but given all that has been trotted out here so far are me too rather than innovative or new concepts, they are essentially worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It would be very strange for any of us to post a really good idea on a public forum like this.
    Maybe OP was hoping some innocent gomme would come on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

Water John wrote: »
    It would be very strange for any of us to post a really good idea on a public forum like this.
    Maybe OP was hoping some innocent gomme would come on here.

I'd be fairly innocent myself so I probably wouldn't cop on :D like another poster said you can have the best idea but without the skills and knowledge/experience in the area your at nothing.
    Main thing I have got from this thread is stick to What you know/think you know :D

duploelabs wrote: »
    Fyp there used to be about three bubble tea shops/stalls around drury Street/Georges Street arcade a few years back, now there are none

Hmm did you "fyp"? You do know what that means right? ;)

Anyway it has to be located in a suitable area. The one in Georges St arcade has moved not closed plus Duck seem to do a roaring trade in them anytime I've been in there.

Setting up around Google/Facebook where there are many foreign workers that would be more familiar with the drinks would seem to be worth investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

mrcheez wrote: »
    Hmm did you "fyp"? You do know what that means right? ;)

Anyway it has to be located in a suitable area. The one in Georges St arcade has moved not closed plus Duck seem to do a roaring trade in them anytime I've been in there.

Anyway setting up around Google/Facebook where there are many foreign workers that would be more familiar with the drinks would seem to be worth investigating.

Perhaps it's a sign that the ship has sailed on that fad. Food fashions come and go, what may work in overseas markets doesn't necessarily convert well over here. Best of luck if you go for it, seems you've done extensive research in to it and know the food business well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

RedXIV wrote: »
    A well advertised and marketed version of this would appeal to quite a few I know of, in particular those in professional roles that aren't business or finance based. They know they need to plan appropriately but they also know to stay away from commission based guys.

I was trying to find an independant advisor a few months ago and gave up because it was too damn confusing.

The fact is that people wont pay for advice - AFAIK any adviser that goes this route only has failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭starshine1234

The next phase of home brewing might be interesting for a business- basically automated brewing units that are run via a phone app. Add ingredients, punch in parameters and the machine does the rest. Currently they are €1000+ in price....

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Any chance of a link for this?

There's also small, automated, home distilling machines to make high alcohol spirits.

Illegal to use in Ireland, not sure if illegal to own. Unlikely to get caught in my opinion and probably small penalties if you are. I'd compare the equipment to indoor plant growing equipment which is on open sale but which is often used to grow cannabis, which is illegal.

For example,
    http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/still-spirits/
    also
    http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/still-spirits/stills/

I have no connection to that shops and I rarely drink.

That machine distills to 60% alcohol by volume.

There was another one on the same site I think which distills to 90% alcohol content. At that purity it's no longer possible to tell what the source of the alcohol was. In other words, if you use potatos, or pears, or sugar, it's not possible to tell what you used from the taste of the 90% pure end product.

The 60% or 90% pure alcohol would be diluted down with water and taste can be added to make the various spirits.

Not legal in Ireland, but legal in New Zealand.

If minimum pricing of alcohol comes in I'd expect home brewing of beer and perhaps of spirits would increase.

duploelabs wrote: »
    Best of luck if you go for it, seems you've done extensive research in to it and know the food business well

I seriously considered setting one up here after I came back from Canada and was sorely disappointed there wasn't one in Dublin, then a few months later the one in Abbey Street opened so I decided not to change careers.

The one on Abbey Street, was far too overpriced though, but Duck seem to have it priced right @ €3.95.

Another thing I was very surprised to discover is that there is no Ethiopian restaurant in Dublin, which means I usually head to London to get my Injera fix, another missed opportunity if someone wants to look into that!

Advertisement