Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PME for Science Education

Options
  • 24-08-2016 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Basically, what would the procedure for becoming a secondary school teacher following a B.Sci?

I'm going into my second year of an undergrad in Applied Physics (so I have strong Physics, Maths and Chemistry). I have thought about teaching the last year and it's starting to appeal to me as a job. I considered and had the option to switch to Physics and Chemistry Education (I'm in UL) but the lack of Science modules put me off (you only did one Physics module a semester and it was the basic one).

Now over the next few years I might decide to pursue a Masters and PhD but would also like to keep my options open regarding teaching. My primary subject would be Physics but you need a second subject in this country so I would go with either Maths or Chemistry (not too fond of them but I'm good at them).

What difficulties would I run into when going for a PME? What's the chances that opportunities for NQ secondary teachers would have improved by the time I have graduated?

Thanks for any advice you all may give!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Going with a second subject isn't just a case of picking one because you did a bit of it in your degree. You need to have at least 60 credits in that subject in your degree and taken it up to final year.

From what I remember of the degree you don't take maths or chemistry beyond second year, so to be eligible to teach them you would have to do extra modules in them. From 2017 to be eligible to teach a science subject you must do the subject methodology module related to that subject in the PME. Same goes for Maths. If you continue to do the App Physics degree and do the PME you will only be qualified to teach physics from it, unless you do extra modules in maths and chemistry. I know the app physics people didn't do any organic or inorganic chemistry when I was there and I'm pretty sure they didn't do environmental chemistry either.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Publications/Registration/Documents/Curricular-Subject-Requirements-up-to-Dec-2016.pdf

Advertisement