Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiction Podcasts

Options
  • 24-08-2016 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

I came across this article while browsing Facebook - Fiction Podcasts Are Finally a Thing! Thank You, Sci-Fi and Horror
    DAN POWELL VANISHED in January 2016. Before he did, though, the audio archivist sent his friend Mark a set of tapes, chronicling his attempts to organize a series of audio interviews that had been recorded at a creepy apartment building 20 years earlier. The podcast chronicles each approaching footstep, each rat scurrying by—and each realization that dawns as Dan learns more about the sinister song that affected the lives of the building’s eccentric residents back in the 1990s. If you want to see what he saw, though, you’ll have to imagine it yourself: Dan is the fictional protagonist of Archive 81, a found-footage horror podcast.

So along with his co-producer Marc Sollinger, who plays Dan’s concerned friend in the podcast, Powell launched Archive 81; the 10-episode tale reached #25 on the iTunes chart and is still highlighted in the “New & Noteworthy” arts section, four months after its April debut. Today, Sollinger and Powell launch their second show, The Deep Vault, a sci-fi story of four people who escape an apocalypse by retreating into an underground bunker, only to find a different kind of monster crawling through the wall. The podcast takes cues from an earlier era of sci-fi: Sollinger and Powell point to Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, and H.P. Lovecraft as stylistic influences—as well as the serialized radio dramas of the 1940s and 1950s.

More here (and more fiction-based podcasts listed).

I think I'll check out Archive 81 tonight, it sounds great. I've never considered listening to podcast dramas but they make sense. They can be easily serialised and with good production values and a good story, they can pull you right in.

Has anyone here listened to fictional podcasts? Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

I've been enjoying these recently...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qy2s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

I listened to Limetown a while ago. Started off well but lost its way I felt.

Owes a lot to Serial - female narrator who sounds a lot like Sarah Koenig. Episode 1 of Limetown is called "What we know" - same title as the last episode of Serial season 1.

Here's a guardian piece on it:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/oct/25/limetown-podcast-fictional-town-x-files-serial

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

ahlookit wrote: »
    I listened to Limetown a while ago. Started off well but lost its way I felt.

Owes a lot to Serial - female narrator who sounds a lot like Sarah Koenig. Episode 1 of Limetown is called "What we know" - same title as the last episode of Serial season 1.

Here's a guardian piece on it:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/oct/25/limetown-podcast-fictional-town-x-files-serial

Hilarious. I just listened to episode 1 with no idea it was fictional and I just kept thinking why do all the interviewees sound like actors? Totally overcooked. So it's because they are actors. Have to say I don't see the appeal in listening to a fictional investigative podcast.

I did also wonder how I hadn't heard of this mass disappearance on mainland USA...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I wouldn't be massively into fiction but there are some good ones out there

The Black Tapes
    We're Alive
    The Bright Sessions
    The Karen and Ellen Letters
    Deadly Manners

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I listened to We’re Alive a zombie one and enjoyed it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement