Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety of running in parks? Dublin 6

Options
  • 24-08-2016 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi, I live in Portobello. I want to start to running again and I don't like gyms or treadmills. I want to run outside on grass rather than concrete. I also don't want to drive anywhere!

Would Eamon Ceant Park or Mount Argus be safe to run in in the evenings between 6 and 9pm in the winter months when it's dark? Or even Bushy Park?
    That's as far as I'd want to go.

I'm rarely there so don't know how busy / well lit they would be.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

roweeeeena wrote: »
    Hi, I live in Portobello. I want to start to running again and I don't like gyms or treadmills. I want to run outside on grass rather than concrete. I also don't want to drive anywhere!

Would Eamon Ceant Park or Mount Argus be safe to run in in the evenings between 6 and 9pm in the winter months when it's dark? Or even Bushy Park?
    That's as far as I'd want to go.

I'm rarely there so don't know how busy / well lit they would be.

Thanks!

I wouldn't personally like Eamonn Ceannt Park on a dark winter's night, and Mount Argus isn't big enough for running. Mount Argus might be nice and there's room to roam; but then I don't think the parks stay open after dark during winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

Chuchote wrote: »
    I wouldn't personally like Eamonn Ceannt Park on a dark winter's night, and Mount Argus isn't big enough for running. Mount Argus might be nice and there's room to roam; but then I don't think the parks stay open after dark during winter.

Ah good point!! Looks like I'll have to run on grass at the weekend and face the concrete around the canal during the week. Thanks!

roweeeeena wrote: »
    Ah good point!! Looks like I'll have to run on grass at the weekend and face the concrete around the canal during the week. Thanks!

It's an awful pity that Kenlilworth Park, some of the most beautiful running land in the country, is kept locked up by its owners, the Holy Ghost Fathers. Used to be that the residents had keys, but the locks were changed a few years ago and not even they can get in now; it's only used for football practice by boys from a private school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Eamonn Ceannt attracts a lot of antisocial behavior, I'd avoid that after dark. The roundabouty thing in Kimmage to the west (Clonmacnoise Road) might be ok though.

Belgrave Square might be a possibility. And does anyone know what the Leinster Sports Complex is, and whether membership is possible/needed?
    Edit: http://lccsports.net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Go across the road from Bushy to Terenure College there is a large amount of pitches you run around with no problem. It will be open until about 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭Augme

A bigger problem than access is lighting. You can access bushy Park at any time but there is pretty much no lighting. What you could do is run up and down one of the pitches but that's about it. On that note I'm not sure how well lit Terenure College will be in the evenings, you'll get some by the swimming pool and close to the road.

If you're looking at Rathmines I think St. Mary's would be a better option than Leinster Cricket club. Open late enough and close to roads that lighting might not be too bad. Generally for LCC you need to be a member to access it but obviously ways around that. But again I think lighting could be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

EC Park can have kids hanging round at night. Bushy is unlit and very dark at night.

Personally I'd just stick to running near busier/lit areas if you're running at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭browne_rob5

EC Park can have kids hanging round at night. Bushy is unlit and very dark at night.

Personally I'd just stick to running near busier/lit areas if you're running at night.

Is EC park open in the eveings during winter?

I've never noticed any anti-social behaviour there but have never been after dark.

Is EC park open in the eveings during winter?

I've never noticed any anti-social behaviour there but have never been after dark.

I went off it a few years ago after a man living on one side of the park was shot as he passed through after dark, having hopped the railings to take a short cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sportsworld running club train in Bushy, Tuesday and Thursday evenings, might move out of the park in the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

You could try running with other people. I often see bunches of women running in Phoenix Park. MeetUp.com has a good few running groups, and you just pick the one you want to run with that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Dublin City Handyman

If your going to go as far as bushy park. Keep Pearse park in mind in Crumlin D12. Boxing club, football, and Gaa teams would be out training till 9 in the winter months.

Advertisement