Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing lanes and moving off in traffic

• 24-08-2016 8:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭

When changing lanes for example to right lane do you check middle, right mirror and blindspot, indicate, go into lane and then if turning right after that you check middle and right mirror?
    Also, if you're waiting at traffic lights or not moving in traffic, do you check all mirrors and then move off?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Hana98 wrote: »
    When changing lanes for example to right lane do you check middle, right mirror and blindspot, indicate, go into lane and then if turning right after that you check middle and right mirror?
    Also, if you're waiting at traffic lights or not moving in traffic, do you check all mirrors and then move off?

You're asking a few questions there all bunched up into one.

1- When changing lanes for example to right lane do you check middle, right mirror and blindspot, indicate, go into lane

* I check Rear View mirror to see what's behind me.
    * Right wing mirror to see what's beside me, or in that lane.
    * Indicate
    * I'd glance to my right, to be sure anything I see in my right wing mirror isn't too close to me.
    * If I've room and it appears safe to do so, I'd switch lanes.

2- if turning right after that you check middle and right mirror?

* Essentially the same as above. Just be weary of someone who may attempt to over take you, even though you intend to turn right at a junction.
    * Prior to slowing down you should always look at what's behind you.

3- Also, if you're waiting at traffic lights or not moving in traffic, do you check all mirrors and then move off?

* Just because you are stationary, doesn't mean what's around you is.
    * I always check mirrors while stopped and prior to starting off to look out for movement not limited to, but such as;
    Pedestrians
    Cyclists
    Motorbikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Thanks. I wasn't really sure if you were supposed to check blindspot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

My driving instructor often advised of the need for 360 observation. You've to look out for yourself first and foremost. Don't expect anyone else to do it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hana98 wrote: »
    Thanks. I wasn't really sure if you were supposed to check blindspot.

Of course you need to check the blind spot every time you change lanes, depending on the car there could be anything from a motorbike to an artic in your blind spot.

Should also note, the blind spots aren't just behind you. The A-pillar can be an obstruction to your view as well. I do a lot of driving in a yaris and regularly trying to look around it, because it takes up so much of my view.

• Advertisement
Advertisement