Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBBO 2016

Options
  • 24-08-2016 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭

Who's watching :) And who has drizzle cake for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I'm watching! (No cake though :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I loooove this technical challenge! What a mean way to start things off :D

I just didnt understand how half of them didnt know what they looked like!

I like selasi

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I was out and I forgot to record it! :(

I've set it to record the rest of the series so I won't miss any more.

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I just didnt understand how half of them didnt know what they looked like!

Yes!!! Surely, surely everyone knows what side the chocolate goes on? They're hardly exotic novelty foods

• Advertisement

I would have thought so!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oh my god, what was up with people not knowing what a Jaffa cake looks like?!

My money is on selasi winning. He's cool headed, organised and methodical :)

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Faith wrote: »

I agree, seems a very strong candidate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

ah now, always in these things (GBBO, MC, GBM) someone peaks too early, looks good in the early rounds then completely crumbles when they have to move out of their comfort zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Yeh I liked Selasi as well. Not sure he'll win, though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

For anyone who like me, missed it - it's repeated on Sunday afternoon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

For anyone who like me, missed it - it's repeated on Sunday afternoon :)

You just saved my weekend! I was kicking myself that I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Slightly off-topic... I really enjoyed The Chronicles of Nadiya that was on after GBBO.
    A nice mix of cooking & insight to her culture. She gave a great cheat on making parathas too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Slightly off-topic... I really enjoyed The Chronicles of Nadiya that was on after GBBO.
    A nice mix of cooking & insight to her culture. She gave a great cheat on making parathas too. :)

I MISSED IT!
    hope its on catch up!
    i love her, shes really honest about normal stuff.

and her husband is a total ridy pants!

I enjoyed it too tHB :) Would quite like to drop round to hers for dinner! Looking forward to her moving off into Bangladesh a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I've never seen homemade jaffa cakes! Only the bought versions. I want to get a jaffa cake tin now...I wonder would a macaron or madelaine tin work...

I'm going to go with Benjamina (loved her from the opening when she said she had cried over cake before) as being a strong candidate but not too confident, who will strive for perfection and get better as the weeks go on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Loved the chronicles of Nadiya too. She's so honest and open, very endearing. Found the show a great insight to her culture and I'm looking forward to next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Oh my god, what was up with people not knowing what a Jaffa cake looks like?!

The early favourite never wins. Usually implodes two thirds of the way through. I think this will happen Selasi, especially as he mentioned improvisation. And last year, the stand out of the first episode was eliminated in the second! Nadiya wasn't a favourite until the last third of the show last year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Elliott S wrote: »
    The early favourite never wins. Usually implodes two thirds of the way through. I think this will happen Selasi, especially as he mentioned improvisation. And last year, the stand out of the first episode was eliminated in the second! Nadiya wasn't a favourite until the last third of the show last year.

My husband and I place bets with each other about who'll win, before the show starts. My record isn't brilliant, but last year I did correctly predict Nadiya winning. Selasi is my bet this year, but 2 years ago I backed the guy who binned his Baked Alaska and was eliminated really early on...

One thing was for sure, the old fella who can bake a 'grand' cake and the odd batch of undecorated biscuits for the lads is ALWAYS the first to go :-D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

My husband and I place bets with each other about who'll win, before the show starts. My record isn't brilliant, but last year I did correctly predict Nadiya winning. Selasi is my bet this year, but 2 years ago I backed the guy who binned his Baked Alaska and was eliminated really early on...

I wonder what would happened had he not binned that. Such a mistake. If he had battled on, I don't think they would have chastised him for someone else's mistake. Though I didn't watch that series religiously so I don't know how well he was doing outside of that incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Is Chronicles of Nadiya being repeated anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Malari wrote: »
    I've never seen homemade jaffa cakes! Only the bought versions. I want to get a jaffa cake tin now...I wonder would a macaron or madelaine tin work...

A jaffa cake tin is just a mincepie or cupcake/bun tin, a madelaine tin would just give you very odd shaped ones, difficult to cut the jelly for them! And is there such a thing as a macaron tin? I've never seen them made in a tin, they'd be teeny tiny jaffa cakes if there is such a tin.

I've made jaffa cakes three times since the episode, had never made them before in my life! Delicious.

A jaffa cake tin is just a mincepie or cupcake/bun tin, a madelaine tin would just give you very odd shaped ones, difficult to cut the jelly for them! And is there such a thing as a macaron tin? I've never seen them made in a tin, they'd be teeny tiny jaffa cakes if there is such a tin.

I've made jaffa cakes three times since the episode, had never made them before in my life! Delicious.

I only have muffin tins, so was just wondering what to get. My friend makes macarons in a special tin, but yeah, they probably would be tiny. Shallow bun tin it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Found a lemon so fancy making a lemon drizzle myself

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/495867/mary-berry-s-lemon-drizzle-cake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I love lemon drizzle cake. I haven't made it in so long.

Is tonight biscuit week?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I love lemon drizzle cake. I haven't made it in so long.

Is tonight biscuit week?

Yep... I checked earlier :D

Did anyone else think last night's showstopper challenge was a very difficult one for the second programme? Some of them were definitely over-ambitious and Louise's was hard to watch, it was so awful. Interestingly, Andrew the engineer played it safest with his bridge.

• Advertisement

Oh, lads. Louise's gingerbread wedding church. I died for her. Definitely think she needs to move her wedding venue, that's just way too ominous.

Advertisement