Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBBO 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Yeh I thought it was a very difficult challenge as well.

I absolutely love Val. I was really rooting for her last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

gutted Louise went!

but i can see it, would have preferred if val went but her showstopper was technically better.

but im a sucker for a gingerbread church...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I was surprised so many people struggled with Viennese whirls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'm a clueless baker but when Michael was putting his Viennese whirl batter into the microwave, even my brain said 'noooo, bad plan!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I really liked Val's Enpire State building!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I love Val too but I fear she'll be gone soon if she doesn't make better use of her time.

The Viennese whirls seemed to be a bigger challenge than I'd have thought they'd be. Not that I've ever made them myself, but you expect the people who qualify for the GBBO to have a certain level of competence. Mind you, I'll probably eat my words when I try to make them :D

I love Val too but I fear she'll be gone soon if she doesn't make better use of her time.

The Viennese whirls seemed to be a bigger challenge than I'd have thought they'd be. Not that I've ever made them myself, but you expect the people who qualify for the GBBO to have a certain level of competence. Mind you, I'll probably eat my words when I try to make them :D

im with ya on that.

but you hav to remember when we're making them at home we're chatting relaxed listening to the radio whatever, can control the temperature, can stop if we need a break.. they cant. they have a time and thats it.

so many variables.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I absolutely love Val. I was really rooting for her last night.

Me too! She looked devastated when it collapsed. You just want to say to her its OK, we'll have a cuppa!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They seemed to know more about Viennese whirls than Jaffa Cakes.

Odd :P

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Is Chronicles of Nadiya being repeated anywhere?

http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/fbsnyh/the-chronicles-of-nadiya--series-1-episode-2

This shows episode 1 being repeated on Tuesday, 13th September on BBC2 at 1.15am so maybe you can record it then? Episode 2 doesn't seem to be scheduled for a repeat yet but you might be able to keep a look out for it.

I've never been able to watch anything on BBC iPlayer as it won't play if you're not in the UK, at least that's what it tells me. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I nearly spat my drink out hearing Mary Berry wanted to eat Candace's carpet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

janmaree wrote: »
    http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/fbsnyh/the-chronicles-of-nadiya--series-1-episode-2

This shows episode 1 being repeated on Tuesday, 13th September on BBC2 at 1.15am so maybe you can record it then? Episode 2 doesn't seem to be scheduled for a repeat yet but you might be able to keep a look out for it.

I've never been able to watch anything on BBC iPlayer as it won't play if you're not in the UK, at least that's what it tells me. Good luck!

Thanks. I did catch the 2nd one in the end. Really enjoyed it, from beginning to end I just......smiled. Lovely lady and very much at ease as a TV chef and presenter I think. Thoroughly enjoying GBBO again this year, it really is anyone's game at this stage, plenty of time for mistakes!!

IT'S BREAD WEEK!!! One of my favouritest weeks of the show. May the yeast be with them.

Is-bread-bad-for-you.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

Can't wait. Is anyone else baking along as they watch?

I've got my bread all planned for later, hoping my yeast rises to the occasion :D

zenbuffy wrote: »

I've got my bread all planned for later, hoping my yeast rises to the occasion :D

LOL, no, I'd miss everything! You need to be focused so as not to miss a single raised eyebrow from Mel or Sue, dubious glance from Paul or worried frown from Mary :pac:

Malari wrote: »
    LOL, no, I'd miss everything! You need to be focused so as not to miss a single raised eyebrow from Mel or Sue, dubious glance from Paul or worried frown from Mary :pac:

Oh god, no, I don't mean bake while I watch. I'd never manage that, there'd be flour in places I'd never retrieve it from. I don't even like other people to breathe too loudly while I watch, in case I miss stuff :pac:

I bake something each week for myself and my mum to eat while we watch. And this year, I'm baking appropriately themed goods, for as long as I can manage. So cake (mocha coffee & walnut) for the first week, biscuits (mini mug-perching gingerbread houses) for last week, bread for tonight :D

im eating along as i watch if that counts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

im eating along as i watch if that counts?

dito

I've been craving jaffa cakes ever since they showed up, but I had already done my cake week bake. If I was feeling lazy, I'd be half tempted to show up to mum's house with a packet of jaffa cakes and call it a night, but I set the bar high for myself on week one with a fancy cake. Serves me right :D

I'll be watching late tonight unfortunately, so I'll have to mute facebook and twitter in case someone posts something!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'll be watching late tonight unfortunately, so I'll have to mute facebook and twitter in case someone posts something!

Lol. I've rarely seen ire like when someone spoiled last week for my brother 😆

• Advertisement

I can't bake and watch because I need my hands to cover my eyes when they carry their showstoppers up to the table. Or when someone is trying to hold a gingerbread church together with what looks like marshmallow fluff. I will definitely be inhaling some food while watching though, it's medicinal, like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made a lovely brown bread with treacle and seeds in it this morning - I'll eat it while I watch :)

I can't watch without eating...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Jesus I nearly forgot again!

Val dodged a bullet again.
    What a lot of underbaked bread tonight - it's a pity they don't give them a bit more time.

The technical challenge was the only thing that saved her!

Finally watched it. Hard to not absentmindedly click onto facebook and spoil it for myself! I thought Val was gone. I was surprised by both the star baker and the leaver this week. Normally myself and mum are good at picking who's going, but this week we were both off. I think Val isn't long for GBBO though, unless she absolutely nails batter week.

And on that topic, wtf?! Batter week? You're killing me here GBBO. What the hell am I supposed to make for batter week!? :confused:

This week was an Estonian Kringle. Myself and bread aren't the best of friends, but it turned out alright and mum and the boys ate it without complaint, so I'll call it a win and move on rapidly from all things yeast! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Clafoutis? Churros? Lots of options!

dee_mc wrote: »
    Clafoutis? Churros? Lots of options!

I've already had one house fire, I'm a little afraid of vats of hot oil :D I'll have to expand my horizons a bit though, I suppose. And I have always wanted to make churros...

And on that topic, wtf?! Batter week? You're killing me here GBBO. What the hell am I supposed to make for batter week!? :confused:

crepes
    pancakes
    beer battered fish and chips, onion rings, toad in the hole, Yorkshire puddings
    Tempura veggies
    deep fried ice cream/mars bars etc
    apple/pineapple rings
    Clafoutis
    dumplings
    really light blueberry muffins made from pancake mix (i love these!!!)
    churros
    waffles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I make amazing yorkies!
    But I'd never get them uniform enough for that challenge..they grow a couple of inches tall like!

Advertisement