Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBBO 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Is that a plattice? My new favourite word :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

Staph wrote: »
    Is that a plattice? My new favourite word :pac:

It is, indeed, a plattice :D:D

I was sitting watching with my mum last night, and saw plaiting, and jumped up all excited like "that's what I did!"

I have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Mary berry has announced she's staying with the BBC. Another blow to the ch4 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

zenbuffy wrote: »

Was it here that someone mentioned he is a shareholder of the production company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It was mentioned here earlier in the thread. Not sure if it is true. I do know that Sky are the major shareholder with 70%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Poor Val. 'We like them soggy', that's going to work! Was it her amouse bouche that MB bit into and then threw a serious stink eye after? I thought so but have fluffy brain today. She was kinda irritating me, for all her niceness, so not unhappy to see her go.

I really, really, really, really want a croque monsieur Danish now.

Poor Val. 'We like them soggy', that's going to work! Was it her amouse bouche that MB bit into and then threw a serious stink eye after? I thought so but have fluffy brain today. She was kinda irritating me, for all her niceness, so not unhappy to see her go.

I really, really, really, really want a croque monsieur Danish now.

Me too. That whole episode had me craving cheese in the worst way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Nadiya is narrating tonight's bedtime story on CBeebies. I just thought you all should know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

zenbuffy wrote: »
    I thought it was very tight between Jane and Candice for star baker, I'd have liked to see Jane cinch it, but they both did really well. I thought Candice's amuse bouche were gorgeous, the little oranges!

I think jane shaded it too. She won the first two rounds and did well in the last round too. But I think Candice's showstopper was just that good.

Still feel like Rav doesn't take it very seriously, that stupid giggle he does when he comes last in technical AGAIN.

I think Val is likely an excellent baker in her own kitchen when she has hours to potter around. I think she just struggled with the pace.

I hate Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Elliott S wrote: »
    I think jane shaded it too. She won the first two rounds and did well in the last round too. But I think Candice's showstopper was just that good.

They couldn't really give it to Jane because she ignored the size requirement.

she'd have got it if the cones weren't too big.

maximum12 wrote: »
    They couldn't really give it to Jane because she ignored the size requirement.

she'd have got it if the cones weren't too big.

Yeah, that's it. She missed one of the requirements for an amuse bouche. Anyway, sure she's already been star baker as well as Candice so I didn't feel too bad for her. And Candice's showstopper was completely stunning. If it had been someone like Andrew in Jane's so-close position, I would have felt bad. But Jane has been star baker and is the most consistent baker on the show, so she's grand. :pac:

I think Andrew would have won the technical had he turned his oven on in time. His bake was good and I know he would have killed the feather icing, he's so precise. But even with that win, he wouldn't have been star baker. Soon, Andrew, SOON!

Benjamina fell at the last hurdle. She was on track for star baker.

Well done to Tom for recovering but I just can't warm to him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think Tom got lucky this week, in that the others were off their game. I'd say it could just as easily been Andrew as Rav for the boot, his offerings were very poor.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

I reckon Tom will go next week.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The standard this year is very disappointing. There's not one of the contestants who would have even made the final in the last 2 or 3 years, never mind win the competition. And it's not even that they have great personalities to help you overlook their shortcomings, Selasi seems to be the only one who's genuinely likeable.

Zaph wrote: »
    The standard this year is very disappointing. There's not one of the contestants who would have even made the final in the last 2 or 3 years, never mind win the competition.

I think Jane would have made the semi-finals last year, she's easily as good as Tamal and she's better than Flora who made the semi-final last year. She just had an off night this week, her first one!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have been consistently disappointed by the showstoppers, in particular. In previous years, the were incredible! This year, it's things I'd knock up on a Sunday afternoon.

Also, what's going on with the technical challenges? Previous years had instructions like "make pastry", "make dough" or "make creme pat", but this year it's as specific as "use two teaspoons of each herb" :confused:.

Faith wrote: »
    Also, what's going on with the technical challenges? Previous years had instructions like "make pastry", "make dough" or "make creme pat", but this year it's as specific as "use two teaspoons of each herb" :confused:.

Almost every week this year has the contestants mentioning how vague the instructions are. It's business as usual with the technical challenges as far as I can see. The above instruction seems like an anomaly.

1wnMRBal.jpg

Middling happy with my bake last night, a mojito meringue pie. It tasted good, but I wish it had held together a bit better when cut. I went a bit overboard with the meringue which affected it :D

I thought Tom had star baker nailed once they tasted his cakes and like the tea flavours. He convinced them from being really sceptical to actually liking them, and he nailed the fougasse too. I was really worried for Andrew, I think he scraped through this week, and it was definitely right to send Rav home. His bake was just so plain compared to the others.

I'm surprised more of them didn't opt for piped rosette style decorating. It's very effective, and honestly it's also very easy to do. If you can pipe a circle, you can pipe a rosette cake, and I taught my 5 year old cousin to pipe them onto cupcakes! (He did a very good job)

We're getting to the really tricky part of the show, I think, where it starts to become harder to pick between the bakers. Excited for dessert week, it's my favourite!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Phew! I watch it on a Thursday so have to avoid this thread and half the internet for spoilers, I was really afraid Andrew was gone this week, I was glad he stayed cos Rav's been clinging on for a few weeks really. I'm not as mad on Selasi as everyone else seems to be, he's so chilled out that it doesn't make for great TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

The right person went. Delighted for andrew he really did give it his all this week.

Completely agree with what people were saying last week about the technical instructions. it told them everything! even the decoration on top! they never used to do that, what comes to mind is the swedish princess cake from a couple of years ago! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

That meringue cake looked the business, yum!
    Happy with the result. My mam is very upset to see Tom go, anyone agree with her that he's 'a bit of eye candy'? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Thought Jane was in the biggest risk of going, but pulled a bit of a blinder in the end.

Right winner and loser this week.. I did think that roulades seemed a bit of a simplistic challenge for this late stage though.

Yay, Andrew! I actually whooped his name was called out!

Also did when Tom's name was called instead of Selasi's. Selasi was very lucky though. He'll go next, I think.

I like them being given more instructions with the technical challenge. I always had a problem with the instructions being vague. No baker has baked everything or seen every type of baked good there is so if it was something they'd never made before, they'd be feeling around in the dark trying to construct the bake. I think it's far more interesting to give detailed instructions and have everyone produce a good quality bake. Makes the judging more interesting, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

dee_mc wrote: »
    Happy with the result. My mam is very upset to see Tom go, anyone agree with her that he's 'a bit of eye candy'? :D

Yeah, I'll miss having Tom to look at, but he's been struggling the last few weeks. I swear he was actively trying to get kicked off; he's been basically ignoring the brief for a while and been generally sloppy in his approach.

I loved Tom's description of hipsters though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

dee_mc wrote: »

:eek::eek: Eh no.... :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think Tom missed the point a lot of the time. I wouldn't call him eye candy, dee-mac but each to their own :)

Andrew did well to redeem himself this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tom tried to be too clever with his interpretation of the bakes, but just didn't have the skills to pull it off. (GBBO-like double entendre intended. :)) Selasi has a lot of work to do if he's to make it through next week.

Overall, the quality hasn't been as good as last year. With the exception of Candice's showstopper 2 weeks ago, & her's & Andrew's last night - there's been little "Wow!-factor" to any of them.

Jane has been fairly consistent in her bakes & I think she could get the title if she can up her game in the showstopper stakes.

Advertisement