Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBBO 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

I had called star baker and leaver by the time showstoppers had started. I think it's at a point where one mistake could really be enough to send you home, and at that point Tom had already had two ropey challenges, so I didn't think that even an amazing showstopper would pull him up enough, given how everyone else had done. I was a bit worried about Selasi at one point, but glad he survived all the same.

I thought Tom's entremets (mousse cake thingy) looked quite legitimately like little sandwiches, which was cute. The weird piping almost worked with the carrot cake one, because to my mind, it almost looked like a little prawn cocktail sandwich...although I'm not sure I'd like to eat cake that I'd expect to taste like prawns...

Another new week next week too, Tudor week. Baking along is bloody hard this year with all these new ideas thrown in! This week I decided to go all out, and made mini layered mousse cakes myself - hazelnut chocolate orange entremets.

jhe2Uwil.jpg

From bottom to top, there's a layer of chocolate sponge, a layer of hazelnut dacquoise, a layer of chocolate mousse, a layer of orange jelly, and a layer of chocolate orange mousse.

PaQR9cIm.jpg

Wish I had a team of bake off production folk cleaning up my kitchen after I was done with this lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I have been following when I get a chance, I think Andrew is adorable, his little worried face every time he has to put something in front of the judges! Jane is the dark horse working away well every week, just needs a bit of oomph to push herself a bit more.

And Candice, oh pouty Candice. I can't help but think of Margaery Tyrell every time I look at her, must be the wonky face or cheekbones perhaps. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

dee_mc wrote: »
    Happy with the result. My mam is very upset to see Tom go, anyone agree with her that he's 'a bit of eye candy'? :D

No way, Selasi is the male eye candy this series, to me anyway. :D
    zenbuffy wrote: »
    I thought Tom's entremets (mousse cake thingy) looked quite legitimately like little sandwiches, which was cute. The weird piping almost worked with the carrot cake one, because to my mind, it almost looked like a little prawn cocktail sandwich...although I'm not sure I'd like to eat cake that I'd expect to taste like prawns...

Thank you! Exactly my thoughts, the carrot cake mousse was just like a little prawn sandwich. The carrot in the mix mimicked the pinkish colour of cooked prawns somehow.
    I have been following when I get a chance, I think Andrew is adorable, his little worried face every time he has to put something in front of the judges! Jane is the dark horse working away well every week, just needs a bit of oomph to push herself a bit more.

And Candice, oh pouty Candice. I can't help but think of Margaery Tyrell every time I look at her, must be the wonky face or cheekbones perhaps. :pac:

Definitely something of the Margaery about Candice. She seems to have slightly wonky top teeth and my experience of people who do is that they often contort their mouths a bit to cover it up. It seems to purely become a habit after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

A real flame out tonight!

Not completely surprised though, all things considered from tonight's performance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Everything suffered in that episode devoted to the Tudors. I liked the pie challenge but I lost interest in the jumbles and the marchpain was a disaster. Jane's cake was the only finished work that you'd admire away from a cookery challenge show. Even Candice's peacock looked like something you'd make in national school, even though I understand that she ticked the boxes on rising to technical challenges.
    I really hope it's not all this gimmickery when it goes to Channel 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Be greatful for 'Tudor' week - at least it had a touch of culinary credentials to it.
    Look forward to 'Made in Chelsea' week when it goes to C4. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This series is disappointing on so many levels. The only constant is Mel & Sue's wit, they're as hilarious as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I didn't enjoy last night's episode. Loved the puns but didn't really get into any of the challenges.
    Surprised to see Benjamina go rather than Selasi but fair play to them for sticking to the 'worst on the weekend has to go' policy.
    I'm still at a point where I'm not bothered who wins. Andrew and Candice can both be a bit annoying to watch but both have their endearing qualities, skills and flair for showstoppers.
    Running joke in this house is 'how will Candice incorporate orange into this bake' she nearly always manages it!
    Jane and Selasi are both good steady bakers who have good ideas but sometimes fall a bit short of realising the vision.
    I'd be happy enough for any of them to win but I agree with others that the general standard feels a bit lower than in previous years.
    Added to that I think the whole series feels a bit flat with the knowledge that it will be the last 'real' series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

They did say in the first episode that they "toned" down the difficulty of the challenges so maybe they knew the standard wasn't as high this year.

Based on last week's preview, I google "Tudor knot biscuits", and after sifting through a load of "ye olde yolkes of eggs" type recipes, found one that worked :) Turns out that the little pattern I picked for my knot was pretty close to what they ended up doing!
    g20DY60l.jpg

I actually don't understand why they seemed to have such difficulty, to be honest. They were really, really simple. Make up biscuit dough (simple). Roll into strips (simple). Make basic triquetra pattern (over under over under over under etc. Simple). Whack a circle on top (ok, I didn't do this bit, but it's even simpler than the other bit!)

I do feel like, in previous years, they wouldn't have given them diagrams of the knots, but just told them something like "2 designs, one knot, one triquetra" and let them figure that **** out.

I thought Andrew's pie holder was ingenious, and the fact that his pies were cogs that turned was also pretty cool, but as my workmate pointed out, they were pretty simple otherwise. Just decent pies in a good mold, and not half as many as some of the other bakers!

I don't like marzipan, so the thought of them biting and tasting all that last night made me a bit nauseous. I was surprised and disappointed that Candice didn't cover the peacock neck/head with marzipan because I thought it would have looked much more finished if she had. I was also really surprised that almost no one seemed to brush their cake with jam (or something) before sticking the marzipan on - it's sticky stuff to work with, sure, but it doesn't just stick to cake by itself, which is why it was falling off half the cakes while they were cut. I thought Jane's was lovely - the repeating design on top came out well and looked properly Tudor. It was well finished.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

The best thing about GBBO2016 for me has been Zenbuffy's posts TBH!

The best thing about GBBO2016 for me has been Zenbuffy's posts TBH!

Aww, thanks! :D < My approximate face right now.

I actually started posting my pics a bit late, so here's a Friday Brucey Bonus for you - my cake, biscuit, and bread week bakes from way back at the start.

Week 1 - Cakes. I made a mocha coffee & walnut cake (aka coffee & walnut classic with a bit of chocolate buttercream thrown in for good measure, because sure why not)
    JHow4HUl.jpg

Week 2 - Biscuits. I have already made a big gingerbread house in the past, and since it's only my family and me eating these every week, I decided not to go mad with the baking, and opt for tiny houses. Because everything is cuter when tiny. :)

jgPWqgdl.jpg

Week 3 - Bread. Brings me out in a cold sweat, tbh. Still, I managed something passable, and the family devoured it! Estonian Kringle (knotted cinnamon bread thing). I love cinnamon!

2rdUimVl.jpg

I'm currently brainstorming my patisserie week bake as I speak (type?)!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

So, Zenbuffy, we'll be seeing you on the bake off next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Your cakes/bakes are amazing Zenbuffy.

kylith wrote: »
    So, Zenbuffy, we'll be seeing you on the bake off next year?

Ha! No chance, I couldn't deal with the pressure! I'm not eligible for the British one (and I'd crack like a bad meringue in front of Mary) and the Irish one has been cancelled. So I'll stick to my facebook page, and my lovely little kitchen :D

Once bake off is done, I'll probably be getting stuck into thinking about christmas baking, so I can make something nice for my family. And my work mates will probably benefit from a few more surprise baked treats.
    SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Your cakes/bakes are amazing Zenbuffy.

Thank you :) I've worked hard on improving my decoration skills and overall visual presentation in the last year and a half, and this year, I've also kinda forced myself to bake harder, more fiddly things to bake along. It's actually been a lot of fun - gives me motivation and reason to try things I otherwise wouldn't. I love surprising my mum with something every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Jen your stuff is amazing and I can confirm tastes as good as it looks lads...

Christ, that was an ordeal. If I never see a fondant fancy again in my life, it'll be too soon. Pouring fondant is a bloody nightmare, and I forever apologise to the universe for slagging the bakers off last week for not figuring out a simple biscuit. I'll never do it again, if I never have to make these fiddly little bastards again.

Raspberry and chocolate fondant fancies. With some very messy sides :(
    JK3B5Hhl.jpg

If I'm honest, they were really, really bloody sweet. I should have balanced the inside with a sharper flavour, but I didn't think of it. I probably should have realised this while making the pouring fondant (cook sugar, stir in more sugar, all the sugar, is there any sugar left in the house? bung it in). My sponge was really tasty, so I'm pleased about that at least! I had the same problem that Mary mentioned - hard to get sharp edges when you bake, cut, and coat all in a few hours. I made these all between leaving work this evening and watching bakeoff at 8. Making the poured fondant was surprisingly easy, using it was a nightmare! I actually thought Jane's masher thing was bloody genius, and if anyone can ever give me a good enough reason to tackle that sticky sugar mountain again, I'll do it that way. My hybrid dipper-pourer approach was not ideal, and I had a lot of iced fingers.

I said last week (to my mum, I now realise, but not on here) that I thought Selasi's lack of finesse would scupper him, and I think that held true. He didn't really have a good weekend in the tent, and it was time for him to go. When things get fiddly, finesse matters, and especially so with patisserie, which is like expert level fiddly. I'm looking forward to the final, though I'm also sad, because it is the last one not just of the series, but really ever (in its current format, anyway). I know they don't want to spoil things, but I wish they'd given away just a little more in the preview so I could plan something to bake for next week! All I could see was a layered pavlova / spanische wind torte kind of affair, which could be fun (though I won't be serving it on a bloody mannequin!). Not much to go on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Benjamina would have done better than Selasi tonight. *sulks* :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Oh my god what?! today is wednesday! :eek: Im on shift at the moment and have no idea of my days...and now Ive just ruined it on myself!!
    God damn it sam!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well, that was a bit of a given..

You can generally tell when you get a snippet of "I've never baked X, but..." from a contestant, they're doomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

^^I think that *a certain contestant* has said that about most things this series and yet *they* did get this far!! :D

I really thought that Candice deserved the Star Baker rather than Andrew. That said, fair dues to him for rescuing his bake after losing an hour by screwing up his first batch of puff pastry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I had Candice down for star baker too and I was disappointed when Andrew got it - maybe that's partially because I dislike him. I find him a bit smug and simpering.

I would have given anything for a fondant fancy last night :(

They got to practise the fondant fancies at home didn't they? Jane's looked awful.

...I dislike him. I find him a bit smug and simpering.

You are welcome to join us at Chéz Billy anytime to watch GBBO. You'll fit right in. :)

I near wet myself when Selasi was asked if he was going to cry over one of his bakes & he said, "I'll leave that to Andrew." :D

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    They got to practise the fondant fancies at home didn't they? Jane's looked awful.

They did. Normally I'd be right there with you, though I do have to say that (having made them) fondant fancies are a giant PITA to make! Her sides seemed especially poor though - even mine were better and that was my first ever try at making them.

I'd love to say that I'll never unthinkingly eat a box of french fancies at home again, that I'll pause and consider the effort, and savour them, but we all know that's not true :D

I made the savarin from last weeks technical challenge. My oven is crap and it baked a little uneven but tasted lovely.

IMG_7947%20copy_zpsqjdgru57.jpg

Fair play, that looks fab! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Didn't Mary Berry say that normally the fondant fancies should be left in the fridge overnight before adding the fondant? I wondered why on earth were the bakers asked to do something impossible, is it just to make it easier to separate the bakers out and easier on the judges to actually judge? Even MB buys them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Didn't Mary Berry say that normally the fondant fancies should be left in the fridge overnight before adding the fondant? I wondered why on earth were the bakers asked to do something impossible, is it just to make it easier to separate the bakers out and easier on the judges to actually judge? Even MB buys them!

I wondered the same thing, it struck me that the bakers were being set up to fail, in a way. I like GBBO and have watched it since it began but this year it seems to be out of ideas. I actually enjoy "...another slice" with Jo Brand on Friday night; at this stage, that's what I'm really going to miss! The tale of the goose and the golden egg keeps coming to mind for me.

Advertisement