Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBBO 2016

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I love 'Extra Slice'. I do like Jo Brand a lot and the bakers are not allowed to take themselves too seriously on that show. I'm sorry Selasi is gone as he seemed so chilled, but definitely got worried on the last one. Personally I think its between Jane and Candice but I favour Jane myself. Andrew has been blessed to get this far but I'd say the producers think he makes good telly. His straddle was just hilarious!! :D And God bless Mel and Sue because without them it just wouldn't be the same. I will wait to see what the future holds for GBBO or whatever it will be called. I was amused to read an article where the bakers were asked what they hoped to get out of the series and a couple of them said they wanted to get a TV series! High hopes indeed. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

Took a gamble based on last week's minuscule preview, and made a meringue crown. Good guess, it transpires :)

g8DacFql.jpg

I baked a topper for this, but it stuck to the mould I used and crumbled when I tried to take it off. Oh well! Family didn't notice the lack of it. I would have preferred some fruit flavours myself, but my brother won't eat anything with fruit in it, so I opted for vanilla and chocolate so that he could partake.

The right person won, based on the bakes today. I have never wanted sausage rolls more in my life. I don't even like sausage rolls that much, but I really wanted to eat all of those! Just before they announced the technical, I said to my mum "I bet it's a victoria sandwich". I might be a little cake psychic :D Even though I bake all sorts of elaborate crap all the time, my absolute favourite cake is a lovely victoria sandwich, with raspberry jam, fresh cream, and a dusting of icing sugar on top. Yum!

I thought the showstopper bakes were great, and actually really challenging. So much to manage in terms of timing!

Myself and mum also caught a few funny editing bits by chance. Candice's signature was in the hat box, then back out in the next pass-by, then back in again! And right before the bit where they all started making their chocolate cake mixes, there was a cut of someone (Andrew maybe) putting something in the fridge, with 4 chocolate cakes clearly cooling on racks on the counter! Wasn't looking for mistakes, but that just jumped right out at me (perhaps because I'm used to all surfaces in my kitchen being occupied by cooling racks :pac:)

I'm so sad that this show is over. I have really loved watching it, and it simply won't be the same on channel 4. I hope the BBC bring out "the great tenty cakey show" with Mary, Mel, and Sue. I would watch the heck out of that.

Now it's off for a well-earned rest. Mmm, cake.

Well buggah that! I recorded the show to watch it tomorrow but I was watching the News and they announced the winner. Ruined it for me! Buggah! Buggah! Buggah! I am so angry now I could just spit! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

Noooooo! And I was on-purpose so careful to say nothing in my post just in case an errant notification ruined it for someone. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's almost impossible to avoid finding out, between the news and social media.
    The Showstopper was a mammoth task - and gave me a fierce urge to make sausage rolls. I'll be buying a load of Superquinn sausage meat at the weekend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Well buggah that! I recorded the show to watch it tomorrow but I was watching the News and they announced the winner. Ruined it for me! Buggah! Buggah! Buggah! I am so angry now I could just spit! :mad:

Same here. Recorded it for to watch after school run this morning but when I went to get paper from the shop it was on the front page of one of the rags! Angerrrrrrr extreeeeeeme!

Y'know what this means so? We HAVE to watch the final live! Darnnit, I'm still steamin' over it. I'm not so excited to watch the recording now.

I watched the final today even though I knew the outcome. That picnic was just a torment to watch. So much to do and so little time. The tight timing is what the judges needed to sort them out. The final trio were close enough but I have to give it to Candice she did well and did deserve to win on the day. I still think Jane wasn't too far behind, and Andrew did really well too but I didn't think he'd win. I would like to ban the Hollywood handshake as it is intimidating for those that don't receive it, and horrible for Andrew to witness the others get it on the one programme, I felt sorry for him at that point. Ban it I say! And darnnit, I cried at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I felt sorry for Candice when she had the cameras in her face and really needed a tissue, wouldn't you think someone would have slipped her a kleenex! I recorded it too but I watched it late Wednesday night so I was guessing right to the end and yes, I shed a few as well. I was very curious about Andrew's grandmother's chocolate cake recipe as Paul Hollywood did seem to really enjoy it. I'm always on the lookout for new ones for all the fans in our family and "lo and behold" there it was on their website this morning! That's what I'll be baking this weekend, pity there's no fans around for the next few days :D

At least we've "another slice" to look forward to tonight, "see you there"!

Advertisement