Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall evergreen Mature trees?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

All is not lost, there are many ideas to work forward with to create privacy even in the most overlooked garden, you just need to plan the garden carefully and work out exactly the angles of neighbours windows that you feel overlook your garden. It will take a while to do but not years.

The slab next to the shed may be useful to put a large pergola on. giving privacy both in it and in front of it like the shed, with tall shrubs/trees even pampas grass between the shed and pergola and the pergola and the other boundary, that match the height of the shed/pergola. (Pergola/arbor/gazebo)

A covered (pergolaish) patio outside the kitchen, the length of the house, could take care of that end of the garden. dosnt need to be a concrete patio, grassed/planted maby.

what length and breath is your garden, how high is the shed?

I found a few pics that may give you a few ideas/options to work from:

plants (could be trees/shrubs/pampas grass) in pots/fence combination

Modernize-Your-Garden-With-Bamboo8.jpg

pergola at end of garden

patio-5.jpg

a privatised patio outside the kitchen/bedroom (presuming bedroom on ground floor, if not blinds in the bedroom turned down below the eyeline of the top of the end of garden structures will make the bedroom private and allow a view of the garden/light in)

22985992.jpg

bit ott this one but...... can be planted up with ivy/climbers evergreen or deciduous

wooden-trellise.jpg

the middle of the garden could be broken down into smaller gardens/areas, using fencing/trellis/potted plants/ready bought hedges or walkways/corridors/arches to create areas of privacy. You may need to set up a timed irrigation system with this or simply a drip hose.

garden-privacy-protection-hedge-plants-pool-terrace.jpg

1329836925-86405200.jpg

f30a23cd256cf61d9bf1eae88b70eb31.jpg

garden_arches_online_australia_10813_600_401.jpg

1329836936-18535500.jpg

Beautiful-Rose-Flower-Garden-Arch-Seat.jpg

versions of looksee's idea

privacy-plant-wall-2.jpg

morning-glory-privacy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

looksee wrote: »
    How much space is there between your house and the wall? I have an idea you are not allowed to just cut down mature trees even in your own garden.

Yes you can!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Oldtree, they are some great ideas. What height would the bamboo in the containers in the first picture grow to? Can they be kept in the containers indefinitely or would they have to be transplanted again in time into bigger containers or into the ground?

Shint0 wrote: »
    Oldtree, they are some great ideas. What height would the bamboo in the containers in the first picture grow to? Can they be kept in the containers indefinitely or would they have to be transplanted again in time into bigger containers or into the ground?

It would depend on the bamboo chosen, local conditions and the size of the container. plants may need support too.

They could be kept in the same container, taken out every few years and split or put into bigger containers or root pruned and new compost. I have grown trees for privacy in pots but not a tall bamboo. I grew black bamboo in the ground and it went up to about 10-12 foot or so, nice and thick but it can spread very quickly by runners. It was a lovely plant to grow with the black stems and bright green leaves but imo is not suited to an open, damp or windy aspect.

Bamboo does make a lovely sound in a slight breeze.

Watering and feeding would be important with large plants in containers. large trays under the containers lets you know when water is needed (tray is dry :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Set up an old camera and a tripod in your garden facing them. They'll soon appreciate their privacy and yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 alannah8

Oldtree, you are amazing. These are some really great ideas. Thank you.

I currently grow phyllostachys aurea but like the idea of black stemmed bamboo.
    I like the pergola idea and you're right, blinds turned down in the bedroom would be better than having my curtains permanently closed.

Thanks so much for all the thought you have put into these.

A

thanks :D if I can think of anything else I'll post it and would love to know how you get on and any further ideas you may get

Advertisement