Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

derailleur cage broken

Options
  • 24-08-2016 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I went down a descent a little bit too fast, hit a pothole, then another one and ended up on the wrong side of the road. Luckily road was quiet with no traffic so managed to get back to my side safely.
    I realised my chain dropped, so I stopped, put it back on, off I went only to realise I can't pedal anymore. Stopped again and realised rear derailleur cage snapped and is blocking the chain. I had to call it a day and phone for help.
    Now, I need to get the cage but all I can find is whole derailleur, do you have any experience in this? Do I really have to get whole mech? Ultegra di2 is not the cheapest so I'm not fancy getting the whole thing now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

Are you sure its not the hangar (or is it hanger). You can look up the parts manual in the Shimano website and order replacement parts. At one stage I was thinking of converting my Ultegra Di2 RD from short to medium cage by replacing just the appropriate parts. In the end I just ordered a complete RD. Was pleasantly surprised at the price, an Ultegra Di2 RD is about half the price of the SRAM Red one I have on the other bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Are you sure you didn't trigger the safety function? Press and hold the button on the junction box for 5 seconds +

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

No, cage is definitely snapped, I wish it was hanger or software thing. I looked at shimano.com website but can't find shop there?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭csb1989

Hi had something similar when the inner plate of a 9070 Di2 rear derailleur cage snapped; my local bike shop had a box of old derailleur parts and one of the inner plates fit; they're fairly standard parts so if your LBS is half decent, I'd check in with them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

• Advertisement

Went to lbs. Seemingly one of the biggest shops in country had just 1 old derailleur, the cage was a little bit too short. Will try another shop tomorrow.

Just in case someone is looking for it in future, I bought the plate at xxcycle.com the cheapest I could find about half the price of other shops

Advertisement