Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car went on fire

• 24-08-2016 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

My car went on fire and waiting for an assessor out from the insurance. It sounds like they are not going to cover me and the car is totally destroyed. Anyone ever been in this position? I'm so annoyed at paying expensive fully comprehensive insurance for it to be so useless. I had to call the fire brigade out as well. Just wondering has anyone any thoughts on this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Why do u think they are not covering car costs?
    We're u modding car when fire started?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did it go on fire itself or was there some outside reason it did? I can't see why they would not pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭loca1

Yes the car went on fire itself sitting in the driveway. I had just returned from work and got back into the car to go out again and discovered it wouldn't start then I noticed the smoke coming from the bonnet. I got out of the car and already the flames had started. They mentioned something if it was mechanical or electrical it wouldn't be covered under the policy. I have to send back forms but it is not looking good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How much damage is done, was it confined to a portion of the engine or is the car completely destroyed?

Everything is destroyed in the car only part it didn't touch was the boot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

loca1 wrote: »
    Yes the car went on fire itself sitting in the driveway. I had just returned from work and got back into the car to go out again and discovered it wouldn't start then I noticed the smoke coming from the bonnet. I got out of the car and already the flames had started. They mentioned something if it was mechanical or electrical it wouldn't be covered under the policy. I have to send back forms but it is not looking good.

When a claim occurs due to wear and tear that's excluded from the cover as it is the policy holders obligation to keep the car in good condition and because wear and tear is inevitable. Something that is inevitable cannot be insured against.

The reality is that a total loss of a vehicle caused by a fire is very hard to decline because its difficult to prove the root cause.

Tbh I'd be very surprised if they decline it, I presume its a claims handler you were speaking to? They have a script that they have to go through and that section (relating to wear and tear) would be part of it.

What age is the vehicle?

The car was 2005 in good working order and passed the nct not long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't get worked up until the assessor have had their say.
    No point in wasting energy worrying over something that may not happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

Our experience of assessors (Mrs CML involved in an accident not her fault) is that they commit to absolutely nothing at the start.
    Usually a few days after they've had a chance to review things they soften a bit.
    So I wouldn't be too upset about their initial response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

are there any modifications on the car?

anything at all that was not standard factory fitted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

i had a pajero burn because of a electrical fault, insurance paid out no problems at all

Nothing added or changed to the car at all.

i had a pajero burn because of a electrical fault, insurance paid out no problems at all

The car is now lifted from me just yesterday and forms sent back I'm guessing it will be just a waiting game now. Glad you got sorted anyway it definitely should be the case went not intentional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

The car is now lifted from me just yesterday and forms sent back I'm guessing it will be just a waiting game now. Glad you got sorted anyway it definitely should be the case went not intentional.

Just be careful with it being at a towing companies yard, I had to pay 30 euro a day for storage until the assessor showed up and deemed the vehicle a write off. It cost me over 200 euro as assessor took his time getting there and doing up the report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

They mentioned something if it was mechanical or electrical it wouldn't be covered under the policy.

Mechanical or electrical must cover 99.9% of car fires outside of malicious. I never heard of them not paying out when it's a genuine fire, not contributed by modifications.
    Wouldn't worry yet.

Advertisement