Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You psyched up to see the new release?

• 24-08-2016 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭

I'm not tbh, I fear it will be a standardised film based on marketers recommendations on how to 'appeal' to demographics rather than being an original and detailed story (original within the restraints of the existing storyline). Hope I'm wrong though.
    I think I'd prefer a film to be made from the Sith perspective but I wouldn't trust Disney with a dark topic. I'd love more backstory on Sidious, seeing Vader continue the purge or Grievious a la 2003 anime who was a genuine badass.

Have you any preferences on who you'd like the spotlight to shine on for a while, or whose story you'd like to see developed/explored? Thrawn could be a masterpiece but only in the right hands.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

I'm not tbh, I fear it will be a standardised film based on marketers recommendations on how to 'appeal' to demographics rather than being an original and detailed story (original within the restraints of the existing storyline). Hope I'm wrong though.
    I think I'd prefer a film to be made from the Sith perspective but I wouldn't trust Disney with a dark topic. I'd love more backstory on Sidious, seeing Vader continue the purge or Grievious a la 2003 anime who was a genuine badass.

Have you any preferences on who you'd like the spotlight to shine on for a while, or whose story you'd like to see developed/explored? Thrawn could be a masterpiece but only in the right hands.
    Id be the same, Im skeptical about it. I feel the first Disney movie was ok nothing near the master piece I had hoped it would be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm not super excited for it. I am looking forward to it, but I'm not scoring the dark web looking for any bit of info I can find. All I've really seen are the trailers. I think it will be a good movie, but really, like you OP, I feel there are far more interesting areas to mine for back story than this.

Plus it kinda kills off my favourite EU character, Kyle Katarn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Slightly looking forward to it, and I expect the hype will really kick in around mid November when I'll start obsessing over it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

off topic, but do you think Disney will do any Old Republic movies/series ?

I'd imagine not, might be too dark ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

off topic, but do you think Disney will do any Old Republic movies/series ?

I'd imagine not, might be too dark ..

Well, they paid many billions for lucasarts so they are definitely going to churn out more SW but, like you said, it'd be too dark and not 'life-affirming and empowering' enough for them to take a walk that way. I'd love to let James Cameron direct a movie...and make it 18's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Got my tickets for the 15th!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Legionn_of_Dan

I have to say, I really like the look of it. I'm hoping it will be a proper Star Wars war movie. Lets hope they keep the grit and dark tone. I have my tickets for the first showing anyways. Seriously excited for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

No doubt, the trailers look amazing but I don't trust trailers anymore; I've been fooled too often. Yeah, I hope they focus on the War aspect of Star Wars...another love story about sand would just be too much. I'll go on a mini media blackout next weekend and beyond...no reviews, no news articles, no boards threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Psyched up all right, got tickets for the midnight showing.
    Managed to avoid all trailers so far. Know a little about it from early reports etc but want to go in not having seen anything. It's not as heavily marketed as last year's film so only had to dodge 2 trailers so far :)

Been listening to 'Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel' on Audible to set the scene.

How is Catalyst? Worth a look? I'm a bit behind on the new crop of Star Wars novels.

• Advertisement

How is Catalyst? Worth a look? I'm a bit behind on the new crop of Star Wars novels.

Yeah I enjoyed it. Just finished it in time for the release this week.
    Not essential reading, but it gives a nice bit of flavour about the empire and background to one of the main characters in Rogue One. (Maybe more too but I've avoided looking at anything Rogue One so far so don't know).

More of a character driven story than action packed but it's well done. The characters that are in it have plenty of depth. Looking forward to seeing how many of the characters are in the movie now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

It's a good read and gives some good insights into a few things.
    • The politics of the early Empire.
    • A look at the science behind the kyber crystals.
    • The super laser on the Death Star is powered by a giant kyber crystal.
    • Orson Krennic is a manipulative sociopath who has tried to undermine Tarkin.
    • Why it took so long to build the first Death Star.

If you're looking for action then it's not going to tick that box but I think James Luceno did an excellent job in laying the foundations for the movie. The trailers didn't do justice to Krennic, he's a really evil b@$t*rd so I'm looking forward to seeing him in Rogue One.

You don't need to read the book before seeing the movie.

Went to the midnight showing last night/ this morning.
    Absolutely LOVED it!

The Catalyst book added a lot to the movie IMO.
    Even wee quotes like "Always the troublemaker Lyra" made a load more sense to me.

Aside from that though, as a stand-alone movie, it was awesome.
    Loved the droid K-2SO.
    Plenty of great action, story was good, locations were really cool.
    Visuals were great - really looked like original Star Wars. Scenes like X-wing fighters etc.

Solid 9 out of 10 for me.
    Couple of small nagging bits that I'll not talk about just yet in case of spoilers.

Mickalus wrote: »
    Went to the midnight showing last night/ this morning.
    Absolutely LOVED it!

The Catalyst book added a lot to the movie IMO.
    Even wee quotes like "Always the troublemaker Lyra" made a load more sense to me.

Aside from that though, as a stand-alone movie, it was awesome.
    Loved the droid K-2SO.
    Plenty of great action, story was good, locations were really cool.
    Visuals were great - really looked like original Star Wars. Scenes like X-wing fighters etc.

Solid 9 out of 10 for me.
    Couple of small nagging bits that I'll not talk about just yet in case of spoilers.

Absolutely agree! Such an enjoyable intense movie. Great performance by Felicity Jones. The examples of her dialogue in the trailers had me worried but she did a great job. Alan Tudyck was great as always in a voice actor/motion capture role.

As you said a few minor issues but you'll have that. What I really loved was all the little easter eggs and tie ins with other Star Wars media. Really nicely done.

A great war movie! Bring on the second viewing.

Advertisement