Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conference paper advice

• 24-08-2016 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

HI All,
    I've had an abstract accepted for a conference in John Moores Liverpool and I have to present for 20mins on my research. Im looking for advice on which way to go about this as im still only at the Lit review stage of my PhD research and havent conducted any empirical research or had any findings as yet. I stated that the research is on-going in the abstract that was accepted but im just wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to structure a presentation on research I have yet to actually conduct.
    Traditionally I would have considered the following as a suitable structure:
    Intro - Research Question/Theoretical Framework - Methodology/case study - Existing research in the field - Data/Results/Findings - Discussion/analysis of these - Conclusion

any opinions would be great.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

One angle I would take is the contribution to the body of knowledge- what makes your study unique? What's your angle?

Can you say much on the data/results/findings? Are you in danger of pre-empting your data? As in "I expect to find x".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    One angle I would take is the contribution to the body of knowledge- what makes your study unique? What's your angle?

Can you say much on the data/results/findings? Are you in danger of pre-empting your data? As in "I expect to find x".

cheers,
    yeah since there has been no empirical research done there are no findings and any pre-empting would of course undermine the research as a whole. The format ive listed above would be the approach that I would have taken when giving previous papers having conducted research, but this is research that is in the early stages of development. Basically i'm looking at advice on what to present and I think highlighting the niche that my research will fill could be an angle I could take.
    thanks

Advertisement