Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing ITT 2016

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CarlG

thedumbone wrote: »
    Oh awesome, thanks! I'm actually fond of theory so it's good to hear that there's at least some.

What was the drop out rate like for your year? Apparently it's meant to be pretty bad.

I have no idea but there was time when 40 students were sitting in a room and few months later there was only 10.
    That's crazy, do you think most people drop out because they fall behind early on

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Volturnus

thedumbone wrote: »
    I have no idea but there was time when 40 students were sitting in a room and few months later there was only 10.
    That was like that in my class but it was mostly because people just didn't want to go to pointless lectures but at the tests there was a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DukeAwesome

Volturnus wrote: »
    That was like that in my class but it was mostly because people just didn't want to go to pointless lectures but at the tests there was a lot more.

Which module consisted of the pointless lectures?

Which module consisted of the pointless lectures?
    The problem I had with a lot of the lectures were that a lot of them were unbelievably boring. The only lecture that I always went to was sdev & that was because I found it interesting, I also attended most of the Maths(you need to be there to take down notes) lectures & Operating Systems because again it was interesting. But you'll find out yourself that you don't need to attend the majority of the lectures because all they seem to do either talk about what you will do in the labs or stuff you can all learn a day before your exam. I didn't attend one Object Oriented & got a B+ by just revising a few hours before the exam to give you any indication, same with Databases.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DukeAwesome

The problem I had with a lot of the lectures were that a lot of them were unbelievably boring. The only lecture that I always went to was sdev & that was because I found it interesting, I also attended most of the Maths(you need to be there to take down notes) lectures & Operating Systems because again it was interesting. But you'll find out yourself that you don't need to attend the majority of the lectures because all they seem to do either talk about what you will do in the labs or stuff you can all learn a day before your exam. I didn't attend one Object Oriented & got a B+ by just revising a few hours before the exam to give you any indication, same with Databases.

This sounds identical to what happened during my level 5 PLC. Then again, the first year is only level 6, so I doubt there'd be much of a difficulty spike.

Thanks for the replies man, much appreciated :D

• Advertisement

What is the OOP exam like? Do you have to write programs on paper and define some OOP terms, for example define inheritance and Encapsulation.

CarlG wrote: »
    What is the OOP exam like? Do you have to write programs on paper and define some OOP terms, for example define inheritance and Encapsulation.
    We did that in the sdev exam we had for semester 2 and had to write about what it seemed like 40 setter & getter methods. In Object Oriented Systems Analysis we just had to do lots of diagrams of how you would design a class using inheritance with the superclass & stuff, very simple once you sit down & learn it.

CarlG wrote: »
    We did that in the sdev exam we had for semester 2 and had to write about what it seemed like 40 setter & getter methods. In Object Oriented Systems Analysis we just had to do lots of diagrams of how you would design a class using inheritance with the superclass & stuff, very simple once you sit down & learn it.
    Doesn't sound too bad, but I'm not sure what setter & getter methods are haha

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LesVerts

Anyone know when we're supposed to pick the option?

LesVerts wrote: »
    Anyone know when we're supposed to pick the option?
    At the end of 1st year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 LesVerts

At the end of 1st year.

I it not an new thing this year , where you pick at the start from Computing with Software, Computing with IT Management, Computing with Data Analytics or Computing with Languages.

Thats what it had on the CAO offer.

LesVerts wrote: »
    I it not an new thing this year , where you pick at the start from Computing with Software, Computing with IT Management, Computing with Data Analytics or Computing with Languages.

Thats what it had on the CAO offer.
    Maybe. I'm not too sure about this year, just what I had to do last year.

Advertisement