Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Treatment for cat bite

• 24-08-2016 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi there - Just did a search on both Google and here on boards.ie for what I'm more than a bit worried about, and I'm hoping someone can advise me...or at least, put my mind at ease a little bit.

One of the five stray kittens (and her mum) that I’ve been feeding regularly for the past couple of months came in through my open kitchen window earlier this afternoon, unbeknownst to me at the time.

When I walked into the kitchen to prepare lunch, the kitten freaked out and tried to escape the same way she got into the kitchen – through the same open window. She was quite terrified and panicking, hissing and her tail was all puffed up. In my naivete, I attempted to help her get to the open window by picking her up (or, attempting to pick her up).

I was rewarded by her not only scratching my right hand, but also, she bit down hard – hard enough to the point of it being punctured and bleeding – on my right index finger and it immediately hurt like hell. I ran into the bathroom, washed all the wounds (especially the bleeding puncture wound) thoroughly with ice cold water, then washed it gently with regular store-bought soap, and then wrapped it with a small plaster.

After a few hours of it being bandaged and feeling swollen and sore and stiff all the while this afternoon, I removed the bandage about a half hour ago. My finger looks only very slightly swollen, and the bite and scratch marks are visually quite small. What is worrying me, though, is that it is still sore and stiff and I’m in more than slight pain when I try to bend any of the joints of that finger. It's painful to write or hold a pen or utensil (or paintbrush - I watercolour paint as a hobby). It feels very bruised, but, apart from only very slight redness, it is not black and blue at all, and only very slightly swollen where the bite happened.

If there are no outward visible signs could it be infected? If it is infected, do you think it would be much more swollen or red or bruised after only a few hours? I would prefer not to have to go to my GP or emergency room, or, I shudder at the thought of it, having to go through a series of injections. Please advise (although I know I should’ve already gone to my GP, but I honestly didn’t think it would still be as painful and sore and stiff after a few hours).

I'm a bit freaked out this - okay...more than a bit freaked out - as I've never been bitten by any cat or dog in all the years I've had pets and have cared for/fed strays. Sure, I've been bitten and scratched while playing with pets, but never seriously and never a bite so hard that it punctured the skin and left me bruised and swollen and sore. The kitten is about two months old and, like her mum, has always stayed in our backyard, where they know I'm going to feed them at least twice a day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I've been bitten by loads of rescued ferals over the years, a few quite nasty bites, not because the animals were nasty just scared and wild, and I've never had a problem as long as the wound is cleaned fairly quickly ie within an hour.
    I always soak the wound in salt water and although it hurts keep squeezing it to make it bleed for a good few seconds, the crystal sea salt is better than table salt for some reason, and then just keep the wound clean and dry. For really deep puncture wounds I use iodine in water or dettol or failing having neither of those then a bit of gin or other spirits does just as well - they do sting though!, and again squeeze the wound to encourage the blood to flush any crud out. Never had a problem even with a nasty fox bite, plus I've had injured birds of prey nail me, an owl went down to the bone in my hand, again salt water did the trick. Most of the cats I've dealt with have had alsorts of diseases, other than rabies which we dont get here, there isn't anything you can catch from them, bacteria is going to be the issue.

If you are in any doubt an antibacterial cream from a pharmacist should do the trick and if really worried or you're feeling ill then a gp visit is a good idea, but I've found the swelling like any cut or animal bite usually goes down within 24hrs or so, our immune systems are pretty good so don't panic!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

Hello.
    I would be of the opinion you need to go to your gp or emergency room which ever is nearer. Iv not been bitten, yet, but it's something you have to get antibiotics for. Tetanus doesn't cover cat bites.
    One of my friends ended up in hospital after a cat bite not a kitten, and i reckon you need medical help.
    Ps I'm not a nurse or vet.
    Regards.
    Take care.
    BC.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Sorry folks,
    This thread was splut away from a 7 year old thread before I read it properly.
    It's way too close to looking for, and giving, medical advice. I am therefore forced to close this thread, with the closing advice to echo the post above: OP, seek medical advice on this one.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement