Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I still grow at 17

Options
  • 25-08-2016 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi Guy,
    I am a 17 year old boy and I am 5ft 2 - 3 but 5ft 1 in the evening. I am very small for my age and I was wondering I fi am still able to grow at least some bit? I'm the same height as my mom but my dad is 5 6 I think. Will I grow as tall as him? My voice still has to fully break as well so am I just a late bloomer? I also still have to grow facial hair.

Thanks,
    MadDog1999

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I can think of at least two of my male friends who were 'short' when we were your age, and then grew. Nobody can tell exactly how tall you'll be, seeing as you're a mix of your mum and your dad. If your parents aren't particularly tall, there's a fair chance you won't be either, although there's no way to tell for sure.

In terms of facial hair, the vast majority of guys I know weren't able to grow a decent beard until they were well into college. There were one or two who were shaving from their early teens, but most didn't. If your voice still isn't fully 'broken' it's likely you probably are a 'late' bloomer; everyone is different though.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

Yea, you can still grow over the next few years. Don't expect miracles, you're still going to be a shortarse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

MadDog1999 wrote: »
    Hi Guy,
    I am 5ft 2 - 3 but 5ft 1 in the evening.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Shannon757 wrote: »
    What?

By the end of the day, everything has compacted and you are slightly smaller than when you wake up.

Op, I stopped growing at 14, I am 5ft7
    Friends were still growing at 18/19 so you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

What?

It's got to do with vertibrae and cartilage.. may account for half an inch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I am no doctor but you likely have the majority of your growing done by now.

In saying that though, i was in school with a guy and we used to say he took a puberty vaccination. He was 5'5'' or 5'6'' until leaving cert. Met him a couple of years after school and he was 6'1'' and about 14stone, in good shape, had bagged himself a girl and had 2 kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

bonyn wrote: »
    It's got to do with vertibrae and cartilage.. may account for half an inch.

Didn't know that, but why in the evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Didn't know that, but why in the evening?

You expand slightly at night when you are lying down. Measure your height first thing in the morning and then again in the evening and you'll see 1/2-1" difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

Gravity compresses water in disks in the spine during the day making you shorter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

I couldn't grow a bit of facial hair til I was 23 so I take it you are still developing into your twenties. Everyone is different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

MadDog1999 wrote: »
    I was wondering I fi am still able to grow at least some bit?

I grew two inches taller between the ages of 16 and 19.

It's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

I was 5ft 8" at 14 years old and I'm now 5ft 7" at 45 years old (spinal accident) I never passed 5ft 8"
    I met a lad recently that moved away with his parents when he was 15. He was the same height as me when they moved, but he kept growing til he was 18 and got to 5ft 10".
    Really strange how some lads get a sudden spurt of growth in their late teens and some stop growing at early teens.
    I don't mind being small until it comes to concerts :-(

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I hardly grew at all in secondary school compared to everybody else. I was 6' on the first day of 1st year. 6'4" doing the leaving. Haven't grown an inch since.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

endacl wrote: »
    :(

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

From my memory men stop growing by 21, and girls is much earlier about 18 or younger.

I remember when hearing that piece of trivia, that men can grow taller for longer than women.

Taking no responsibility for how accurate that info is though.

Advertisement