Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help me identify this plant

Options
  • 25-08-2016 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

This plant has become very widespread across a few beds. Looks like something that might work as a groundcover in a shady area, but very agressive where it is now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

leck wrote: »
    This plant has become very widespread across a few beds. Looks like something that might work as a groundcover in a shady area, but very agressive where it is now.

No pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Chameleon plant or Houttuynia cordata.

This plant is the work of satan, terribly invasive, I hate it, be afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

I'm back to thinking what to do about this plant. Indeed, it seems to be widely-regarded as the work of Satan. When googling it, I came across this forum where people have said it can take up to five years to eradicate it. http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1699407/help-chameleon-plants-gone-wild

I have it mainly in one long bed under the kitchen window (bits popping up in other beds too, but not so bad there). From what I read, it would seem that the only thing that will work is to completely empty the bed and start over. If I dig it out (or had it dug out!) would I need to discard all the soil, or would sifting it work to get rid of roots - that would be extremely labour intensive. I presume the plant mostly spread vegetatively, or would seeds in the soil be a problem too?

The bed is 5m long and 0.5m wide. Other than the Chameleon plant, the bed has two Euonymus shrubs and a couple of Hostas, also a clump of grass that is another plant from hell. I might put the Hostas in two pots and hope there are no traces of the satanic plant on their roots. Will probably discard the Euonymus.

Advertisement