Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ketchup

Options
  • 25-08-2016 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

I was recently at a restaurant and had ketchup with chips, it was not home made but it was lovely, am sorry I never asked them which brand it was.

What ketchup do you recommend (shop bought)

I used to like chef in the glass bottle but feel it's just not as good in the last few years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Chef is definitely not what it used to be - that glass bottle stuff was yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

I find ketchups too sweet usually, so we get Heinz 50% Less Sugars normally. When we run out and that Heinz is not on offer, Lidl's Kania stuff is OK (and a lot cheaper :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

TESCO organic ketchup is super

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I pretty much love all ketchup: cheap, expensive, shop-bought, home-made. But this one is a current favourite:

IDShot_540x540.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

arian wrote: »
    I find ketchups too sweet usually, so we get Heinz 50% Less Sugars normally.
    I thought it would have had sweetners added to bring it to the same level of sweetness as before. I hate when they do that.

Looking at ingredients it has steviol as a sweetner and 174g tomatoes per 100g, regular heinz has only 148g per 100g, which is lower than a lot of cheaper & own brands.
    Heinz Tomato Ketchup 50% Less Sugars

Now enjoy the unmistakable taste of Heinz Tomato Ketchup with 50% less sugars and 25% less salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

rubadub wrote: »
    I thought it would have had sweetners added to bring it to the same level of sweetness as before. I hate when they do that.

Yep, that's a cheat.
    "NO ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS" [their caps]
    "Steviol comes from a natural source", so that's all right then :rolleyes: .

The ketchup still doesn't taste as sweet as most, so I suppose they didn't bring it back all the way to the original sweetness.
    Looking at ingredients it has steviol as a sweetner and 174g tomatoes per 100g, regular heinz has only 148g per 100g, which is lower than a lot of cheaper & own brands.

I don't have a bottle of the Lidl ketchup here to check, but my memory is that there's more tomatoes in it than the Heinz Reduced.

Advertisement