Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Griffin is Dead: Long Live the Griffin

Options
  • 25-08-2016 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

So my first one has lasted quite a while - almost a year I think.

However throughout that time there have been repeated failed attempts by my cat to destroy it, and while these have been fruitless and have resulted in me only needing to tighten it up with pliers or replace the glass after previous altercations, a recent attack left me helpless to defend my winged beast which was left at the mercy of a hard tiled floor when a paw swiped it clean off the desk. This time it was dead completely however - the treads were bent in such a manner that there was no way to screw the top cap on anymore.

Of course this happened on a Sunday - and of course at around 6am and just as I was really feeling the need for a nice cloud to block out the sunlight which was now streaming into the room.

After an hour or so getting a bashed about Subtank Mini back in working order (and realizing how horrible they were!) I hit the net and found a seller close by had them in stock for around 20 euro brand spanking new ! Yippeeeeeee.

Fast forward an hour or so and I had my brand new shiny unit in hand and was then asked the question "have you tried the top airflow for the Griffin". "A Topwhatsit ?"

For around another 3 euro - well obviously I couldn't say no to that experiment now could I ?

Well I'll be dammed if this thing is simply awesome, and a great flavor enhancement to the Griffin, which is known to be slightly "muted" with the best Flavor being with the lower holes about 30% closed and the upper wide open. For Chugging clouds of course everything wide open.

One of the biggest pro's though has to be zero burns so far regardless of the wattage - due to more air hitting the coils I assume it cools them enough to avoid it.

Anyhow - if you have a Griffin or considering it its well worth looking into. My 2 Cents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭mossymac!

11242480_1650877831810224_484960068_n.jpg
    keep-calm-and-roast-a-cat-on-a-fireplace.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Enjoyable bedtime story that ended well,I'm sure I can see that cat smile :D:D

I have a few griffins with the top air flow that I haven't used yet,looking forward to that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

was.deevey wrote: »
    So my first one has lasted quite a while - almost a year I think.

However throughout that time there have been repeated failed attempts by my cat to destroy it, and while these have been fruitless and have resulted in me only needing to tighten it up with pliers or replace the glass after previous altercations, a recent attack left me helpless to defend my winged beast which was left at the mercy of a hard tiled floor when a paw swiped it clean off the desk. This time it was dead completely however - the treads were bent in such a manner that there was no way to screw the top cap on anymore.

Of course this happened on a Sunday - and of course at around 6am and just as I was really feeling the need for a nice cloud to block out the sunlight which was now streaming into the room.

After an hour or so getting a bashed about Subtank Mini back in working order (and realizing how horrible they were!) I hit the net and found a seller close by had them in stock for around 20 euro brand spanking new ! Yippeeeeeee.

Fast forward an hour or so and I had my brand new shiny unit in hand and was then asked the question "have you tried the top airflow for the Griffin". "A Topwhatsit ?"

For around another 3 euro - well obviously I couldn't say no to that experiment now could I ?

Well I'll be dammed if this thing is simply awesome, and a great flavor enhancement to the Griffin, which is known to be slightly "muted" with the best Flavor being with the lower holes about 30% closed and the upper wide open. For Chugging clouds of course everything wide open.

One of the biggest pro's though has to be zero burns so far regardless of the wattage - due to more air hitting the coils I assume it cools them enough to avoid it.

Anyhow - if you have a Griffin or considering it its well worth looking into. My 2 Cents.

any links to where these can be bought for €23 over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

kingaaa wrote: »
    any links to where these can be bought for 23 over here?
    Sorry mate, I'm overseas currently SE Asia (thank the old gods and the new for 24 hour Vape Shops!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

how do you find the dual-coil setup? what are the advantages? I've never even tried a twin-coil tank, let alone re-wick one....!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

kingaaa;100823041how do you find the dual-coil setup? what are the advantages? I've never even tried a twin-coil tank, let alone re-wick one....!!!!

I've been using Dual Coils for years.

Dual Coil is no more fiddly than a Single Coil setup, the size of the Build Deck on the Griffin (and other velocity style decks) can make them easier IMHO to build than a Subtank for example.

Only thing you need to watch for is matching the coil length of both sides or one coil will heat faster than the other.

Benefits: Better Flavor, More Vapor.
    Cons:
    Better Flavor and More Vapor = Half the battery Life and more Juice Consumption.

Advertisement