Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin for grad school DBS help with housings

Options
  • 25-08-2016 8:13am

Hi I'm moving from the US to attend the Dublin businesses school and need advice on where to live and how to rent an apartment.
    Any other advice on the move (crime, local advice etc) would be appreciated!
    Thanks everyone

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

daft.ie is an online resource for rentals / sharing.

Are you intending to rent just by yourself?

What's your monthly budget for rent?

I guess we can help with area then.

I would like a one bedroom and not sure what the going rate is but I guess under 2000 euros a month. The cheaper the better but I would like a nice area and I realize I'll have to pay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Ah you could probably get a one bed for a grand in Rathmines/Ranalagh, which would allow you to walk to college. Dublin is a very mixed town so even in nice areas you will get your rough types wandering around. But it is safe, just kip your wits about you.

Thank you for the response, I will look into that area. We are in Dublin next week to research housing. Any recommendations for leasing agents?
    Is DBS a good school? Is UCD better? He was accepted to both. Any help would be appreciated!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Vcu3656 wrote: »
    Thank you for the response, I will look into that area. We are in Dublin next week to research housing. Any recommendations for leasing agents?
    Is DBS a good school? Is UCD better? He was accepted to both. Any help would be appreciated!!

Is it an undergraduate or a masters?

DBS is a private college while UCD is public.
    UCD would be more recognised that DBS.
    What course is it?

UCD I would get an MBA, takes 2yrs. DBS either MBA or a masters in business management. Not too worried about public v private. I'm from the USA and will most likely come back after school unless I'm lucky enough to find a job locally...
    Is DBS any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Vcu3656 wrote: »
    UCD I would get an MBA, takes 2yrs. DBS either MBA or a masters in business management. Not too worried about public v private. I'm from the USA and will most likely come back after school unless I'm lucky enough to find a job locally...
    Is DBS any good?

Turn up with a smile and a cheque book and it'll be as good as you want it to be...

Lol

Thank you for the info! I'll be in Dublin next week and see em both for myself. I like ucd, the program I want doesn't start till next yr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Tbf, DBS has a reputation for "couldn't get into any other college so threw money at the problem".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Would also reckon you'd be better off in UCD.

For accommodation, will just reiterate what's stated above, look on www.daft.ie. It captures probably the vast majority of rentals in the city. Would also recommend Ranelagh and Rathmines, Leeson St, Ballsbridge as locations. You should be able to find something in your budget.

Advertisement