Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scratches from hedges

• 25-08-2016 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I live in the sticks and drive on narrow country roads every day.

The hedges in my area have become seriously overgrown with brairs etc. and it is very frustrating that neither the local authorities or the landowners take responsibility for cutting them any more, its a disgrace.

Anyway the passenger side of my new car has a good few scratches from keeping in to allow others cars past, it's inevitable at this stage.

Just wondering is there anything that can be done to remove them by hand? I've used some G3 scratch remover and while it has helped they are still quite obvious, also its an abrasive so am afraid of causing damage. My car, Fiesta ST is a bright blue colour so these marks are really noticeable now.

I know a full machine polish would probably bring out the worst of them but I am reluctant to shell out for one until the hedges are sorted!

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

To be honest I wouldn't bother doing anything until the hedges are sorted. It's a completely futile effort otherwise and a waste of your time and energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

No offence but it has probably has more to do with your driving style than the actual hedges themselves. I live in the country and don't brush up against overgrown hedges at all. Pull into gaps to let people pass, not into the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Obviously I avoid keeping in where I can but you don't have much choice when you come around a bend and meet a lorry or silage trailer coming! The roads are so narrow barely two cars can pass in places and the hedges are growing a few feet out onto the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

No offence but it has probably has more to do with your driving style than the actual hedges themselves. I live in the country and don't brush up against overgrown hedges at all. Pull into gaps to let people pass, not into the ditch.

No offence but maybe you don't realise how bad some roads in the country are or how bad some drivers are in that they will keep driving against you without giving you a chance to pull in, not to mind the aforementioned tractors. Fairly presumptuous of you to come up with that statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Go out and cut them yourself op. I'm in the same situation as yourself, and no one will cut them.

Out with the hedge clippers, and clip the briars that stick out, 3 or 4 times a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I live in the sticks and drive on narrow country roads every day.

The hedges in my area have become seriously overgrown with brairs etc. and it is very frustrating that neither the local authorities or the landowners take responsibility for cutting them any more, its a disgrace.

Are you a blow in from Dublin or did the hedges appear overnight?

If its a case that you've lived there for years, then I can't see the issue as you've seen the hedges and know the roads are narrow. Also if you are not a blow-in you should know the legalities regarding hedges whereby they can only be cut back a certain times of year unless it poses a safety risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

That certain time of year for cutting allocation don't wash with me. I'm in Mayo, road is almost closed in with overgrown hedges. Continue on up that road into Co. Roscommon, the hedges are cut well back. Ring the council, and they give the same speel about the birds nesting etc. They mustn't bother nesting in neighbouring counties :rolleyes: I know it's a lot to do with funding, but still...

I think the OP is more on about briars, which will grow out in a number of weeks and do the most of the damage. They'll die back during the winter months and aren't as much of a problem. With each year that passes with uncut hedges, they grow closer to the road, and so the briars too will grow out further, causing the problems. Drive as careful as you can in the centre of the road and you're still likely to hear something clipping the mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Hooch, you probably will have limited or even no joy at all sorting those by hand. But a DA polisher would make light work of it! I got one recently and with fairly little effort I sorted out a few swirls and bird crap marks that would not shift by hand in a million years...

It's a useful very tool to have in the shed, you'll get use out of it for years and they aren't that expensive tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Walter2016 wrote: »
    Are you a blow in from Dublin or did the hedges appear overnight?

If its a case that you've lived there for years, then I can't see the issue as you've seen the hedges and know the roads are narrow. Also if you are not a blow-in you should know the legalities regarding hedges whereby they can only be cut back a certain times of year unless it poses a safety risk.

No I'm not a blow in, from Tipp and lived here all my life. They have only gotten really bad in the last year or so, some are growing out 2 feet at each side of the road which are barely they width of two cars in places, now tell me how that's not posing a safety risk! I didn't post the thread to discuss the legalities of hedge cutting, just making a point that the way they are being left currently is disgraceful and is blatant disregard for car owners.
    That certain time of year for cutting allocation don't wash with me. I'm in Mayo, road is almost closed in with overgrown hedges. Continue on up that road into Co. Roscommon, the hedges are cut well back. Ring the council, and they give the same speel about the birds nesting etc. They mustn't bother nesting in neighbouring counties :rolleyes: I know it's a lot to do with funding, but still...

I think the OP is more on about briars, which will grow out in a number of weeks and do the most of the damage. They'll die back during the winter months and aren't as much of a problem. With each year that passes with uncut hedges, they grow closer to the road, and so the briars too will grow out further, causing the problems. Drive as careful as you can in the centre of the road and you're still likely to hear something clipping the mirror.

Spot on, it's the briars that cause the most damage.
    JoeA3 wrote: »
    Hooch, you probably will have limited or even no joy at all sorting those by hand. But a DA polisher would make light work of it! I got one recently and with fairly little effort I sorted out a few swirls and bird crap marks that would not shift by hand in a million years...

It's a useful very tool to have in the shed, you'll get use out of it for years and they aren't that expensive tbh.

Thanks Joe, you are most probably right, a friend who has one has kindly offered to give it the once over for me but guess there is no point until these hedges/ditches are sorted!

Advertisement