Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Wi-Free certificates

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

So Horizon Wi-Free is vulnerable to Wifi Pineapples. Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

I loved that VM thread. VM: Its ok, our team has advised us we arent doing certificates any more. Kthxbye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

syklops wrote: »
    So Horizon Wi-Free is vulnerable to Wifi Pineapples. Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

I loved that VM thread. VM: Its ok, our team has advised us we arent doing certificates any more. Kthxbye!

Haha yeah, they don't give a damn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Haha yeah, they don't give a damn!

there are some very intelligent and gifted techies working in VM (ex UPC) so I would be concerned about why they have let this vulnerability emerge. I cant imagine any security bod being happy to be associated with something this careless.

new cert rollouts to come? some alternative setup? A new app? or a press release about improvements to security that is really just a return to the old security that was allowed lapse...

LoLth wrote: »
    there are some very intelligent and gifted techies working in VM (ex UPC) so I would be concerned about why they have let this vulnerability emerge. I cant imagine any security bod being happy to be associated with something this careless.

new cert rollouts to come? some alternative setup? A new app? or a press release about improvements to security that is really just a return to the old security that was allowed lapse...

At an educated guess I'd say a project manager somewhere who doesnt grasp the seriousness decided the certificates were a hindrance and in a meeting it was decided they wouldn't do them anymore. Happens all the time.

I went onto their live chat to ask the same question with a famous actors name. You can see they aren't too bothered. I don't know why I blurred out their name. I guess I'd feel bad if they lost their job over me posting this!

395275.PNG
    395276.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

:O William Robert is a Virgin Media customer! cool! :D

if they only use account notes (I did say "if") then how do they track issues?

I'm going to guess that this now constitutes being made aware of the security issue. Does this open them up to liability if a customer suffers a breach from exploitation of this flaw?

It's hard to know what to make of it!

You should have used the name Gerry McCarthy. That way when they said, "I've put a note on your account", you could ask them how did they know which Gerry McCarthy to put the note on. Sure theres 17 Gerry McCarthys in my parish alone.

syklops wrote: »
    You should have used the name Gerry McCarthy. That way when they said, "I've put a note on your account", you could ask them how did they know which Gerry McCarthy to put the note on. Sure theres 17 Gerry McCarthys in my parish alone.

Hahah good idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Even reading that back infuriates me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement