Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch for Heating Control

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

We had an identical one in our old apartment and switch broke too. Not being good with anything DIY, I rang electrician. He came out, looked at it, went off to an electrical store and came back fitted new unit (not just the slider switch but the actual unit) and charged me 80 euro including the new switch/unit.

I think the unit is only around 40 euro so you could do it yourself then if you're a bit braver than me.

I can't see how you could fix the little slider switch without buying the new box though, but I could be wrong.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1
    The unit needs to be replaced, they are non-serviceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

Thanks for the replies guys. Any idea where I would pick one up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Any wholesaler stocks them. A pic of the actual clock and your general location you would help narrow it down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You're not making it easy :)

Kellihers are flash stockists, try them.

http://www.kellihers.com/search/e5027538bda0e12232/Circuit-Protection/Clocks-&-Timers/

They have a base in Sandyford industrial estate.

Some clocks you can replace easily, they just plug in to a pre-wired base. some don't. Your link to a google search is not specific enough.

As a nipper 25 years ago, Flash clocks had a reputation for - well- living up to their name when trying to switch any appreciable load.. I'm not sure if that's still the case.

If you will part with more information. you will get better advice. :)

Steve wrote: »
    You're not making it easy :)

Kellihers are flash stockists, try them.

http://www.kellihers.com/search/e5027538bda0e12232/Circuit-Protection/Clocks-&-Timers/

They have a base in Sandyford industrial estate.

Some clocks you can replace easily, they just plug in to a pre-wired base. some don't. Your link to a google search is not specific enough.

As a nipper 25 years ago, Flash clocks had a reputation for - well- living up to their name when trying to switch any appreciable load.. I'm not sure if that's still the case.

If you will part with more information. you will get better advice. :)

Thanks again for your response. I picked one up in Kellihers. Now for installing it - I don't know much but looks easy enough.

There are 3 wires attached to the Base a blue, brown and green and yellow. If I just attach these 3 in the same place in the new device is that it?

Is it just like fitting a plug? Sorry for sounding thick but I'm not very good at diy but I have wired a plug and it looks the same to me.

Or am I better off calling an electrician?

Thanks again

Can you take a pic and post it?

There should be more than three wires.

http://pbsg.me/shareprofile/?id=MTYyODI=

Hope this works. Took a photo of the old one attached to the wires and the new one I just bought

Cheers

Sorry, no image there.. try imgur?

• Advertisement

https://imgur.com/gallery/FRNYU/

Try this not sure how to do hyperlink

Thanks, unfortunately it doesn't help.

Here are the images for the benefit of others reading:

iF85YwA.jpg

JrefTOB.jpg

The live / neutral / earth supply coming in is fine (BN /BU/GNYE) but it's not apparent where the output is from the pics, I would expect there to be at least one, more likely two, wires that are switched by the clock to control the boiler and a zone valve.

Perhaps it is time you consulted a professional after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

It's possible that the earth wire is used as a switched feed to the boiler. Agree that it's time for a professional.

Thanks again for all your help

Yeah its connected to a switch so don't need to go near that. Pic below

https://imgur.com/gallery/bBXr7

Advertisement