Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer query

Options
  • 25-08-2016 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

I have a Lenovo T61 which i had recently updated to windows 10, and was running well, however one day it wouldn't boot up so i took it to someone to fix it which he did, but put windows 7 on and now i am getting occasional pop ups on screen telling me that im running an outdated version of windows and will not be getting updates which are important in order to keep the computer secure.
    any advice on how to restore it to its status prior to it non booting up and the install of windows 7?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

That all depends on what yer man did to it - he could have wiped it completely in which case there's no way back.
    He should have consulted with you and told you what he was going to do. He should also have returned it to you with win 10 if that was what you had on it.
    Bring it back to him and ask him to put windows 10 on it.
    I will assume his greeting is along the lines of: "How'dee ma'am?" and he wears a 10 gallon hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

cala wrote: »
    I have a Lenovo T61 which i had recently updated to windows 10, and was running well, however one day it wouldn't boot up so i took it to someone to fix it which he did, but put windows 7 on and now i am getting occasional pop ups on screen telling me that im running an outdated version of windows and will not be getting updates which are important in order to keep the computer secure.
    any advice on how to restore it to its status prior to it non booting up and the install of windows 7?

Is it definitely Windows 7 he put on it? Security updates will supported for another few years at least

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭cala

Yeah he said that it ha lost everything

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

You got shafted. Take it back and insist on win 10 fully licenced. Can u share how much they charged?

cost €20

• Advertisement

If the laptop was already activated via a digital entitlement, you can do a fresh install of win 10 and it will auto activate.

Thanks thats what i have been curious about, prior to installing windows 10 i had been getting pop ups telling me that my computer was suitable for an upgrade, but now i wouldn't know how to go about doing a fresh install, as i believe the free offer has ended and i'm no longer getting notifications as to the computers suitability for windows 10.

Plenty of guides out there.

Look here first and grab the media creation tool...
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Thanks thats what i have been curious about, prior to installing windows 10 i had been getting pop ups telling me that my computer was suitable for an upgrade, but now i wouldn't know how to go about doing a fresh install, as i believe the free offer has ended and i'm no longer getting notifications as to the computers suitability for windows 10.

If you had installed Win10 during the free offer period, then your entitlement will continue as soon as you install it again.

degsie wrote: »

Thanks i will try that.

• Advertisement

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    If you had installed Win10 during the free offer period, then your entitlement will continue as soon as you install it again.

Thank you.

degsie wrote: »

MMFITWGDV wrote: »

Thanks guys, i followed your advice and i reinstalled windows 10 myself, and all is going great again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Thanks guys, i followed your advice and i reinstalled windows 10 myself, and all is going great again

Should go back to that "computer repair guy" and ask him to rethink his career. He was either to lazy to install win10 or didn't know how. Either way he shouldnt have charged you for what he did to your pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When you gave him the laptop, did you tell him that it had W10 on it?

the_syco wrote: »
    When you gave him the laptop, did you tell him that it had W10 on it?
    yes

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

yes
    Bring it back, and tell him that when you gave it to him it had W10 on it, and as it now has W7, that he didn't fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I installed GWX control panel on my laptop 5 months ago,
    this ensures i get no updates replease upgrade to windows 10 ,
    And stops the automatic upgrade to windows 10 .
    i think windows 7 is better than windows 10,
    i have no wish to use metro style tablet apps on my laptop .http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

This is a free tool that can remove and disable the 'Get Windows 10' notification area icon on Windows 7 and Windows 8. Recent versions can also disable 'Upgrade to Windows 10' behavior in the Windows Update control panel and do much more

riclad wrote: »
    I installed GWX control panel on my laptop 5 months ago,
    this ensures i get no updates replease upgrade to windows 10 ,
    And stops the automatic upgrade to windows 10 .
    i think windows 7 is better than windows 10,
    i have no wish to use metro style tablet apps on my laptop .http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

This is a free tool that can remove and disable the 'Get Windows 10' notification area icon on Windows 7 and Windows 8. Recent versions can also disable 'Upgrade to Windows 10' behavior in the Windows Update control panel and do much more

Thanks for your post but i'm happy enough with windows 10.

Advertisement