Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insuring 2nd car for myself, what's the best way?

• 25-08-2016 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Folks,
    Apologies if this has been dealt with previously but I want to insure a 2nd car in my own name. I have a number of motorcycles and they are all under the one policy so no issue there but apparently this cannot be done for private cars. I have been told I would have to take out a complete new policy and some companies won't even give me an NCB! Can anyone help with a solution for this issue? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

1 car per policy unless a classic car scenario.
    If you are sole driver off both cars then easier but if 2 drivers for the 2 cars then

Car 1 in your name with driver added as occasional driver

Car 2 in other persons name with you as listed additional driver.

Ncb was only earned on 1 cars thus can't always be copied/mirrored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Bif

Any other thoughts on this? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭selectamatic

whats the car in question

whats the car in question
    '05 Merc

Bif wrote: »
    '05 Merc

Its highly unlikely since its an 05 but try a few insurers for a "classic" policy, they tend to be very soft on german cars particularly mercs and bmw's I've heard of e46 bmw's getting classic policies for instance.
    If it turns out to be a dead end then you'll probably have to get a 2nd full policy on it, ring around and do lots of pricing/research as some insurers/brokers will mirror your NCB onto the 2nd car too.
    The only other option is using the driving of other cars extension as pointed out above but it only provides the most basic of cover and is a legal grey area.

• Advertisement

Its highly unlikely since its an 05 but try a few insurers for a "classic" policy, they tend to be very soft on german cars particularly mercs and bmw's I've heard of e46 bmw's getting classic policies for instance.
    If it turns out to be a dead end then you'll probably have to get a 2nd full policy on it, ring around and do lots of pricing/research as some insurers/brokers will mirror your NCB onto the 2nd car too.
    The only other option is using the driving of other cars extension as pointed out above but it only provides the most basic of cover and is a legal grey area.

Cheers. Any suggestions on who would might insure it as a classic?

05 be too young for most insurers as classic car

As said unlikely but can't hurt to try
    first ireland
    autoline
    carol nash are ones I know of I'm sure there are more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

My Irish, unmodified Prelude turns 20 next year, I'm hoping to get it back on the road under a classic policy.
    Do insurance companies have any problems covering old Japanese cars as classics?
    I have two policies on the go already, private and commercial and I'm nudging 37 myself.
    Thank you in advance.

Axa don't normally offer on Jap models, (there's about 9 listed no-no cars) as most get modified or have no security fratures thus theft risk higher.

Unfortunately prior customers abused the loophole to get their cars covered and end up modifying cars for cruising as daily-drivers with them or were caught making doughnuts!!!

If you hold other business with Axa then u might have chance but you will need a 25yr old anchor car for concours policy.

• Advertisement

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Axa don't normally offer on Jap models, (there's about 9 listed no-no cars) as most get modified or have no security fratures thus theft risk higher.

Unfortunately prior customers abused the loophole to get their cars covered and end up modifying cars for cruising as daily-drivers with them or were caught making doughnuts!!!

If you hold other business with Axa then u might have chance but you will need a 25yr old anchor car for concours policy.

That sucks, I haven't had any time to get any quotes yet myself. I'm hoping someone will cover me. It's an Irish car and it's completely stock.
    This country is a nightmare for petrol heads.

Pm me when u do think more about it... I'd like to see this car, I'm ex-Honda staff amongst over talents

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Pm me when u do think more about it... I'd like to see this car, I'm ex-Honda staff amongst over talents

PM sent.
    Here it is here.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/97432912

Advertisement