Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying creaking noise.

Options
  • 25-08-2016 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Afternoon Folks,

My knowledge of the workings of a bike are pretty non existent, but before I got to a LBS to have the bike looked at, said I would try on here first. Always find a mountain of useful info here.

Anyway, there is a very annoying creaking/clicking sound every 3 or 4 pedal strokes. Not sure of the exact location, hoping its not the bottom bracket as that was just recently replaced. But it sounds like its coming from that general area.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

1.Remove the wheels, put some oil on the fork dropouts..refit (tightly)
    2.Test ride the bike and see if there is an improvement
    3.Remove the pedals, grease the treads and refit (tightly)
    4.Test ride the bike and see if there is an improvement
    5.tighten seat post bolt, saddle bolts, headset bolts and stem bolts.
    6. yep..another test ride!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one thing not often mentioned when looking for creaks is your spokes. mine (albeit on an old wheel) were creaking, as a precursor to them breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I had the same issue, really sounded like it was the bottom bracket, went through the below steps and it turned out to be the seatpost. It was a really sinister creak that sounded expensive :pac:
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    1.Remove the wheels, put some oil on the fork dropouts..refit (tightly)
    2.Test ride the bike and see if there is an improvement
    3.Remove the pedals, grease the treads and refit (tightly)
    4.Test ride the bike and see if there is an improvement
    5.tighten seat post bolt, saddle bolts, headset bolts and stem bolts.
    6. yep..another test ride!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I had a similar issue. The noise seemed to be coming from the bottom bracket. Turned out I just needed to go to town with the washing-up liquid and lube on the chain cassette, which were filty.

So I'd suggest taking it out the back and really getting at the chain and cassette with a sponge and brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Check the cleats on your shoes, I'd something similar for a while and couldn't work it out. Turned out the cleat on my right shoe was loose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

Dem bones ,dem bones, dem dry bones
    , dem bones
    dem bones
    Now shake those skeleton bones

How many are you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Ah creaks, squeaks, rattles and carbon bikes.

I had one like yourself except every pedal stroke at the same point but only in certain gears. Tried lots of different things (from above lists) and something eventually made it go away. Not sure what though.

Another I had was a rattle which seemed to be coming from the bottom of the bike but only on rough surfaces. Turned out the seatpost had a metal attachement at the bottom which screwed in it and it fell off and was lying at the bottom of the seat tube. Easy fix, screw it back on, have no idea what the purpose of the attachment is though, if anybody can suggest will gladly listen ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Have a creak on every single pedal stroke. So irritating, but some of the suggestions here may help me get to the bottom of it. It's not the wheels nor the bottom bracket as the bottom bracket was removed recently and lubricated. It's not the wheels either as I put the stock wheels back on and same problem. It's not the seat post either as it happens when I'm out of the saddle. Could be the pedals. Good call by the poster above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

My headset is creaking like mad after the recent tropical rain we've had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

My bike was creaking like crazy, and also the back brakes were in trouble. Eventually realised that the brake problem was a stripped nut, and brought the bike to the bike shop by the Hospice. The really excellent mechanic there replaced the calipers on the back brake and generally tightened things up; he told me I hadn't put the wheel back right after changing the tyre, and it was rocking slightly from side to side. The mice have migrated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Try tightening the cranks where they bolt to the BB, they've probably loosened a bit since the BB work was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is there any play on the cranks ?(if you hold them can you push or pull them out/in)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If it's only every 3rd or 4th pedal strike then it could be a stiff link on your chain. Clean it thoroughly with degreaser or petrol/diesel mix, dry it off and check each individual link and relube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

If it's only every 3rd or 4th pedal strike then it could be a stiff link on your chain. Clean it thoroughly with degreaser or petrol/diesel mix, dry it off and check each individual link and relube.

I wouldn't think it's a stiff link, they usually click when passing through the rear derailleur. I'd give the cranks centre bolt a tighten with a good fitting socket.

Advertisement