Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest some trees for a large green area

Options
  • 25-08-2016 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭

Bought into a new estate last year and there is a huge green area on site...

Would like to put down some lovely non evergreen trees.. Something that in twenty years would give a sense of the old to the place..

Something like a horse chestnut or willow etc those types

However I don't want something that requires a whole load of maintenance or care..

I'd also like to grow them from seed rather than paying a garden centre for saplings.. (although if someone tells me that that is a much better option then I'll listen to that)

What sort of trees would you guys suggest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

lawred2 wrote: »
    Bought into a new estate last year and there is a huge green area on site...

Would like to put down some lovely non evergreen trees.. Something that in twenty years would give a sense of the old to the place..

Something like a horse chestnut or willow etc those types

However I don't want something that requires a whole load of maintenance or care..

I'd also like to grow them from seed rather than paying a garden centre for saplings.. (although if someone tells me that that is a much better option then I'll listen to that)

What sort of trees would you guys suggest?

Some native species would be nice - maybe Ash or Oak?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

who maintains the green areas on the estate? has it been taken into care by the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You need to get the residents association on side. Don't for heavens sake do this on your own.

If you get agreement I suggest you buy saplings and appropriate protection to put round them till they are big enough to fend for themselves - which is really quite big if there are children playing. If you start from seeds it will take around 5 to 7 years to get anything big enough to plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

who maintains the green areas on the estate? has it been taken into care by the council?

not yet but that is the plan at some point

looksee wrote: »
    You need to get the residents association on side. Don't for heavens sake do this on your own.

If you get agreement I suggest you buy saplings and appropriate protection to put round them till they are big enough to fend for themselves - which is really quite big if there are children playing. If you start from seeds it will take around 5 to 7 years to get anything big enough to plant.

Ah yeah that's fine - it's a small estate. We all know each other at this stage.

In fact there is no resident's association

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lawred2 wrote: »
    In fact there is no resident's association
    consider yourself lucky.

It's a really big green area - a few acres.. It's largely just been grassed with a few shrubs. Seems a waste given that the area itself is quite sylvanian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Firstly ensure that all residents are in agreement and that you are not taking green space they want for ball games etc.

Plant in a group rather than lines or individual trees scattered about. Go for natives like oak, birch, etc. Perhaps chestnut and beech as well. I'd avoid Ash as those around here seed themselves all over the gardens and are a bit of a pest. Buy small saplings that will settle in more quickly. Provide protection around them to keep kids, rabbits etc. from damaging them.

Firstly ensure that all residents are in agreement and that you are not taking green space they want for ball games etc.

Plant in a group rather than lines or individual trees scattered about. Go for natives like oak, birch, etc. Perhaps chestnut and beech as well. I'd avoid Ash as those around here seed themselves all over the gardens and are a bit of a pest. Buy small saplings that will settle in more quickly. Provide protection around them to keep kids, rabbits etc. from damaging them.

Agreed about the group - though a single copper beech or similar would look amazing on its own, if it is a very big area a large tree like that would be a focal point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

if planting using a stake:

PUB0006272_551363.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

If it's quite big, I'd consider those American trees noted for autumn color.
    American red oak is a beauty, as is the American red maple and the Sweetgum

Zelkova becomes a magnificent tree, as does Caucasian wingnut(Pterocarya fraxinifolia, and some of the limes(Tilia) are magnificent

https://www.google.ie/search?q=quercus+rubrum&client=firefox-b-ab&biw=1252&bih=602&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjiyvyW5d3OAhXFC8AKHbptCxMQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=VOc5Nq-U-2k4LM%3A

http://www.rainyside.com/plant_gallery/shrubs/Acer_rubrumFairviewFlame.html

http://www.butchartgardens.com/blog/liquidambar-styraciflua-american-sweetgum/

SILVAMAN wrote: »

Just be aware that those photographs are taken in the US. While you may get autumn colour in Ireland, as with native trees, it does depend on weather conditions to get the most impressive results.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Lime trees turn out to be lovely once established and produce a crop of honey for the pollinators.

I lived in an estate onetime where the local community got saplings to plant from the council , the children broke every one of them , so you really need to involve the whole community in the planting & maintaining them so that does not happen

Zelkova becomes a magnificent tree, as does Caucasian wingnut(Pterocarya fraxinifolia, and some of the limes(Tilia) are magnificent

https://www.google.ie/search?q=quercus+rubrum&client=firefox-b-ab&biw=1252&bih=602&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjiyvyW5d3OAhXFC8AKHbptCxMQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=VOc5Nq-U-2k4LM%3A

http://www.rainyside.com/plant_gallery/shrubs/Acer_rubrumFairviewFlame.html

http://www.butchartgardens.com/blog/liquidambar-styraciflua-american-sweetgum/

Avoid the American autumnal coloured trees. Firstly they never have those colours here. Secondly, they only have interest in autumn and then only for a week or so until the first gust of wind takes all the leaves off. Thirdly, they aren't great for wildlife.

Avoid the American autumnal coloured trees. Firstly they never have those colours here. Secondly, they only have interest in autumn and then only for a week or so until the first gust of wind takes all the leaves off. Thirdly, they aren't great for wildlife.

Sweeping statement.
    I grow a number of them and I recommend them based on my experience.
    I live in the west, a part of the country known for its gales, and autumnal displays of liquidambar are a sight to behold.
    One should look for clones specially selected for their color such as Acer rubrum var. Schleseringeri.
    Furthermore, in an era of increasing incidence disease among trees, variety is advised.
    For example, horse chestnut is dying all over the world due to bleeeding canker. Ash will be gone within 20 years.

Furthermore, in an era of increasing incidence disease among trees, variety is advised.
    there *is* a certain irony in recommending foreign trees in an era where our established trees are suffering from diseases brought in on imports.

Sweeping statement.
    I grow a number of them and I recommend them based on my experience.
    I live in the west, a part of the country known for its gales, and autumnal displays of liquidambar are a sight to behold.
    One should look for clones specially selected for their color such as Acer rubrum var. Schleseringeri.
    For example, horse chestnut is dying all over the world due to bleeeding canker. Ash will be gone within 20 years.

I'm basing it on my own experience. In my innocence I planted liquidamber and others decades ago. Their attraction is for a very short period and their value to the biodiversity of the area is near nil. I find it incredulous that you mentioned disease and then advocate imported species..

Native stock of native trees is how any planting should go nowadays. Suited to our conditions and ideal for strengthening our biodiversity. And they are cheaper to buy too.

there *is* a certain irony in recommending foreign trees in an era where our established trees are suffering from diseases brought in on imports.

You seriously think that those standard trees species including those species which are native to Ireland, that you see in any nursery, are all Irish grown?
    Certain imports, such as rhododendron and ash transplants have been documented as being infected with disease. Disease is not something intrinsic to a plant. Doesn't matter whether the plant is a species native to Ireland or not.Disease is caused by a pathogens.
    I manage a large forest estate, and over the last 20 years have used both imported stock and Irish grown stock. The only tree in trouble is native alder, sourced from an Irish nursery.
    OP seems to be looking for potential legacy trees which I think includes size, longevity and beauty.
    Yes, use native species, but not just based on that criterion. For a start, we have a limited number of native trees. At least 10 tree diseases have been documented in the last 10 years. And re. wildlife, while we don't have wild Koalas here to feed on the leaves, for the last number of days a 70 foot eucalypt outside my door has been humming with insects as they gorge themselves on nectar and pollen from the flowers.
    I'm struck by an undertone of what seems to be hostility to non-native trees. It's not all bad guys!
    I'd recommend OP head to the Botanic Gardens or to Avondale in Wicklow to see what is available. Also keep an eye out for interesting trees in suburban gardens, and call in and ask the owner about them.

You seriously think that those standard trees species including those species which are native to Ireland, that you see in any nursery, are all Irish grown?
    oh no, i know well that we import trees from seed collected in ireland, and grown on in the netherlands and other parts of europe.

it's not so much a hostility to non-native trees (on my part anyway) as wanting to favour native trees.

Keep in mind this is a mater of trees in an open green space in an estate. Trees for kids to play in and among in years to come. Don't go for a botanical garden ornamental planting.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Horse chestnut - slow growing but generations of children after you will spend their summers hanging out of it and collecting conkers off of it.

Assuming they put down their iPhone87s long enough to enjoy summers. Assuming they have summers.

one not so minor issue about horse chestnuts - getting back to the introduced diseases topic. their future is not so certain, as they suffer from bleeding canker.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Just in regards to grouping versus sporadic planting or lines. I work near this little green area and have often admired how just a few groups of medium to large trees compliment the green and the estate very nicely.

Preserves the open space nicely but also gives it a good frame.

395368.png

Keep in mind this is a mater of trees in an open green space in an estate. Trees for kids to play in and among in years to come. Don't go for a botanical garden ornamental planting.
    Of course, but go for something magnificent. Anyone notice the sequoias at Roebuck Castle in UCD? Soaring distinctively above the skyline. Similarly the wonderful horse chestnuts on the green in Clarinbridge, or the American Ash between Mallow and Cork, just turning various shades of purple and pink.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

What about a couple of strawberry trees? Native and year round interest.

One blue cedar can also be stunning. And I love the sound of limes.

I would get everyone involved in a planting day whatever you decide. Particularly the kids. Get them on board and your trees are guaranteed to be safe.

You have to put in saplings though. You haven't a hope planting from seed in an open area.

Advertisement