Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High disk Usage...Chkdsk stuck at 11% Windows 10 and tips

• 25-08-2016 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭

My Dad's Lenovo laptop made the transition to windows 10. Before the upgrade the laptop was hainvg some disk usage problems which seem to have been brought over after the upgrade. He has a lot of problems with solitaire and windows update too which cause high disk usage too.
    Done the usual stuff like disabling superfetch, search and BITS. His laptop still has high disk usage.
    Right clicked on the harddrive and attempted to check for errors on the drive. The drive wasn't even scanned and said it needed to be repaired.

Went to run a chkdisk C: /f /r /x in CMD prompt which has been running since the laptop started to boot up. It's been sitting on 11% for about an hour and a half. Any idea if it's actually doing anything? The harddrive light is on but not appearing to be blinking. Should I just let it run for a long while and see if it resolves itself or turn the laptop off.

I plan on doing a clean install but since there is high disk usage I can get to copy the files over to a harddrive. Just wouldn't mind getting in there to copy the files.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

So shortly after posting the computer finished the chkdsk and booted up. High disk usage again. Turned it off and then it stuck at the Lenovo booting screen with a spinning circle.

Ended up doing a startup repair. Went into Services and disabled the Windows Update service and the high disk usage stopped, but my laptop keep rebooting every ten minutes as it throws up an error saying Something went wrong with Windows and needs to be rebooted. Now able to boot into safe mode and get everything off on a harddrive. Haven't come across that error in safe mode as of yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Check your dump files with blue screen view. dmps are normally stored in either c:\windows or c:\windows\minidump\

Try run the system file checker while in safe mode too.
    sfc /scannow

So I reinstalled windows and I'm getting high disk usage on boot up for a a few minutes. Thought it might have been a driver issue so then I reinstalled it again, completely wiping the harddrive. Installed all the drivers on the Lenovo website. Then all the windows updates. Haven't loaded any of his backed up files on to it yet but I'm still getting high disk usage on boot.
    This seems to settle down.

I ran Crystal Disk Info on his laptop and it appears it may be in trouble. It's got a caution (yellow) indicator.

The things that are marked as yellow are

Reallocated Sectors Count
    Current: 95
    Worst: 95
    Threshold: 10

Current Pending Sector Count
    Current: 91
    Worst: 66
    Threshold: 0

Uncorrectable Sector Count
    Current: 91

Does it look like the harddrive is on it's way out? Says it's only been powered on for 551 hours.

So this has changed since earlier.

Reallocated Sectors Count
    Current: 94
    Worst: 94

Current: 99

Current: 99

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Looks like the URE count (assuming USC and URE are equivalent) is increasing, so I'd say the disk should be assumed to be unreliable and replaced based on that.

• Advertisement

I'm getting the occasional long boot times with high disk usage on boot for about 5 minutes or less. After that it seems to settle down and general usage is fine. I'll see how it goes.
    Might need to get in contact with PC world/Lenovo to see if there is anything they can do, although it is just under a year and a half old.

I'd agree with Fysh on this one. According to the SMART data you provided, I suspect the hard disk is on its way out. The raw data would confirm it, but I'd say that the attributes started at 100 and are dropping.

In the meantime I'd definitely advise to keep regular backups or not save anything important on there.

So it's definitely getting worse. No getting longer periods of 100% Disk usage on boot. Seems to settle down but I wonder if, like the first time, will this result in some part of the Windows install getting corrupted.

Current: 93
    Worst: 93

Current: 98

Current: 98

I dont REALLY know what these figures mean in the grand scheme of things though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Turn off all originations in settings
    I've two windows ten laptops and they started this crap
    Turned off notifications all good again
    I have no idea why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

OP you already were told the disk is dying. Immediately backup whatever you can, then replace disk and reinstall windows.

Ignore everything in windows, boot into bios and look at SMART disk diagnostics - this is what tells you to prepare for data apocalypse.

• Advertisement

So I got in touch with PC world and wouldn't budge on the 1 year warranty, seeing as it's a year and a half old.
    Chatted online with Lenovo and they started off with the same thing.

Then I said "Don't the EU stipulate that all electronics need to have a min 2 year warranty" so they agreed to repair it free of charge!
    That is if they find a problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

So I got in touch with PC world and wouldn't budge on the 1 year warranty, seeing as it's a year and a half old.
    Chatted online with Lenovo and they started off with the same thing.

Then I said "Don't the EU stipulate that all electronics need to have a min 2 year warranty" so they agreed to repair it free of charge!
    That is if they find a problem with it.

Did you try turning of. Notification

Yeah. Didn't seem to make any difference really.

The problem is that the harddisk seems like it is just on it's way out and ends up corrupting the OS/files. After reinstalling Windows 10 a few days ago I downloaded all Windows updates, installed Office and drivers. Think the only other program I installed was chrome and a lenovo support program. Yesterday I ran an Error Check on the drive and it needed to be repaired. 2 days after installing Windows. Definitely something up with the disk. At least it's going back to be repaired...hopefully.

Advertisement