Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much time is actually spent in accommodation?

Options
  • 25-08-2016 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Like how much time do you actually spend in your room and your apartment, or hanging out with your roommates? Like obviously it's different for everyone but I'm wondering what the general thing people do is. And if people make friends that are in different apartments or whatever, do they hang out with them there sometimes too and vice versa? Or is it strictly for people who are residents in that apartment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nerd95

As you said yourself, it really depends on the individual. I was in Belgrove when I was in first year (two years ago) which was handy because it was close to the science building and I could therefore go back to the apartment whenever I had a large gap in the day (was much easier than trying to find a space in the library!!) However, in semester 2, I spent most of my time in the science hub and was only really in my apartment in the evenings (from about 6pm onward as I had a lot of labs).

Regarding roommates- I personally didn't spend all that much time with my roommates as they were in third year at the time and were never really around all that much. I also made a lot of friends in my course and so I spent the vast majority of my time with them. That being said, there were some evenings where my roommates and I would all sit and chat for a couple of hours in the kitchen.

Finally, yes- you are free to invite people to your apartment or vice versa- however, you may need to check if that is okay with your other roommates first, especially around study week/exam time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Porazeee

nerd95 wrote: »
    As you said yourself, it really depends on the individual. I was in Belgrove when I was in first year (two years ago) which was handy because it was close to the science building and I could therefore go back to the apartment whenever I had a large gap in the day (was much easier than trying to find a space in the library!!) However, in semester 2, I spent most of my time in the science hub and was only really in my apartment in the evenings (from about 6pm onward as I had a lot of labs).

Regarding roommates- I personally didn't spend all that much time with my roommates as they were in third year at the time and were never really around all that much. I also made a lot of friends in my course and so I spent the vast majority of my time with them. That being said, there were some evenings where my roommates and I would all sit and chat for a couple of hours in the kitchen.

Finally, yes- you are free to invite people to your apartment or vice versa- however, you may need to check if that is okay with your other roommates first, especially around study week/exam time!

Thanks for the info! And do people in the same building usually make friends with each other too or is it generally just your own roommates?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nerd95

Porazeee wrote: »
    Thanks for the info! And do people in the same building usually make friends with each other too or is it generally just your own roommates?

No prob :) Yes- quite a number of students make friends with people in the same building or even buildings that are close by. The vast majority of students in my building were International/Erasmus students and so a lot of them were only there for one semester. They were all really friendly and invited us up to their apartment a couple of times which was nice.
    Also, there are numerous events held for residents throughout the year such as pumpkin carving, a Christmas festival, movie/pizza nights, cookery classes etc which are great ways to get to know people who are living nearby! (I presume they still hold similar events anyway- things may have changed since I was there!). If you have any further questions about accommodation (or even UCD in general), please feel free to ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Porazeee

nerd95 wrote: »
    No prob :) Yes- quite a number of students make friends with people in the same building or even buildings that are close by. The vast majority of students in my building were International/Erasmus students and so a lot of them were only there for one semester. They were all really friendly and invited us up to their apartment a couple of times which was nice.
    Also, there are numerous events held for residents throughout the year such as pumpkin carving, a Christmas festival, movie/pizza nights, cookery classes etc which are great ways to get to know people who are living nearby! (I presume they still hold similar events anyway- things may have changed since I was there!). If you have any further questions about accommodation (or even UCD in general), please feel free to ask :)

Thank you so much! Answered my question perfectly. :)

Advertisement