Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax-free countries

Options
  • 25-08-2016 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Currently I've a job that I can perform remotely. I thinking about the possibility of moving somewhere for a year or two to somewhere like the UAE where there's no income tax to build some savings.

Is there anyone here that's done something similar?
    Would there be an issue with getting visas since I wont be working for a local employer?
    Is there other countries people would recommend instead?
    I'm just at the start of researching this, so apologies for the simple questions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭rojito

I don't think it would be straightforward, it doesn't take a great stretch of the imagination to see how your idea (legitimate and honest in your case) could be taken advantage of and lead to shell companies, money laundering and all that stuff we saw from the Panama papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You wont get into a Middle Eastern country for more than a few weeks without a working visa.

Also, assuming the employer is in Ireland, paying onto your bank account here, how could you ask them not to charge you tax? They are legally obliged to.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    You wont get into a Middle Eastern country for more than a few weeks without a working visa.

Also, assuming the employer is in Ireland, paying onto your bank account here, how could you ask them not to charge you tax? They are legally obliged to.

I'd be a tax resident abroad. I don't think think there's anything that unusual or untoward about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I know a lad who set himself up in Lichtenstein for this reason, he was making enough through affiliate linking to earn a living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Matt Murdock

It is not that simple lads.

You have to be gone at least 4 years before you can be considered as non resident for tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭howa .223

It is not that simple lads.

You have to be gone at least 4 years before you can be considered as non resident for tax.

Is it not be gone for over 6 months of the tax year? Then your classed as non resident. Im not 100% but that's what I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Long story short is that you can't do it.

howa .223 wrote: »
    Is it not be gone for over 6 months of the tax year? Then your classed as non resident. Im not 100% but that's what I heard.
    Yep

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056305970

glued wrote: »
    Long story short is that you can't do it.

do what? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Matt Murdock

You must be considered non resident for 3 out of the previous 4 years before you become a tax exile.

Ordinary residence

Your pattern of residence over a number of years is taken into account to decide your ‘ordinary residence’.
    If you have been resident for the previous three tax years then you become ordinarily resident from the start of the fourth year. If you leave the country, you will continue to be ordinarily resident until you have been non-resident for three continuous tax years.
    They sure make it hard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement