Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I crazy to join two gyms?

• 25-08-2016 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

There is an offer on in a gym near me - the Carrigaline Court Hotel in Cork, I'm already joined Rochestown park. All thoughts welcome thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Will you use both gyms ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Bit daft tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

pinkstars wrote: »
    There is an offer on in a gym near me - the Carrigaline Court Hotel in Cork, I'm already joined Rochestown park. All thoughts welcome thanks a million
    Can you see any advantage to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Twice the opportunity to skip leg day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Depends if you'd use it. At one stage I was a member of 3 gyms!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

You gotta work out the maths in it, how soon is your current membership over and how long does the 2nd gym have their discounted membership open for? You gotta take into account how much you are paying when you have both memberships v how much you will save when your current one expires and your second one is still running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I can see the advantage. Gym near work and gym near home for example. What kinda sponds are we looking at and does the new gym have the equipment you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Depends if you'd use it. At one stage I was a member of 3 gyms!

Yep, for a brief time I was a member of Raw, RevFit and Flyefit. Used all three.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JeffCash

Absolutely mad imo, especially when there's only a 15 minute drive between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

I can see the advantage. Gym near work and gym near home for example. What kinda sponds are we looking at and does the new gym have the equipment you need.

That's exactly it. One near home. The other is on the way to work! I just feel I will make use of both and all I'd need is basic equipment. The offer is so good also! My 5 year old would also use the pool near home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If you will use both gyms, can afford it and value your time traveling the 10km between those two locations then yes its fine.

This is the price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I wouldn't, but only because I have a routine that I would also need to change. I would rather put the money towards some equipment I could use at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭almostbroke

I think you'd be crazy to join one, never mind two..! I know several people who join gyms, then drive there.....me.....I jog to the gym, round it a couple of times, and then jog home....save lots of money and keep fit at the same time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Unless you intend setting up a circuit and running between them.

I think you'd be crazy to join one, never mind two..! I know several people who join gyms, then drive there.....me.....I jog to the gym, round it a couple of times, and then jog home....save lots of money and keep fit at the same time!

There's a lot more to gyms than running or simply keeping (aerobically) fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You should incorporate some dead lifts of cars in the car park while you're there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Yeah I drive to the gym. It's about 20km away so I think running why would be very counter productive. For a variety of reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When I cycled to the gym, I always had to have the energy to cycle home afterwards.

When I drove, I could give my 110% in the gym, barely able to walk to the car, and drive home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

the_syco wrote: »
    When I cycled to the gym, I always had to have the energy to cycle home afterwards.

When I drove, I could give my 110% in the gym, barely able to walk to the car, and drive home.

You can still give 110% and cycle home. If you're able to operate the pedals in your car I'm sure you could operate enough pedal strokes on the bike to get you home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

jive wrote: »
    You can still give 110% and cycle home. If you're able to operate the pedals in your car I'm sure you could operate enough pedal strokes on the bike to get you home.

Either you've never driven or never cycled!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

When is your current membership up? Chance your arm and go in and ask the manager if you can avail of the offer but defer it until the membership you have now is finished. Tell them if you can't, no matter, you'll just rejoin your current one when your membership lapses. Some gyms are very keen for business, and quite flexible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

johnb25 wrote: »
    Either you've never driven or never cycled!

Anyone who can't cycle after a workout is doing something seriously wrong, the intricacies of a clutch pedal is harder after leg day than cycling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You can still give 110% and cycle home.
    100% = all energy
    110% = all energy and reserve energy

For example, to find out how many dumbbell curl I could do, I'd count the full curls (100%), but then keep doing them until I was only lifting it a few inches (the 10%). Likewise with cycling; I'd check how much I could cycle at 100% or a specific speed, and then the extra 10% would be to cycle until I can cycle no more.

Doing the 110% would be to push myself to the limit, but wouldn't have been a daily thing.

Thus if you can still cycle home after depleting all energy, you haven't really depleted all your energy.
    Anyone who can't cycle after a workout is doing something seriously wrong, the intricacies of a clutch pedal is harder after leg day than cycling
    I didn't say workout, I said giving your 110%. Pedals on my car; slight movement of my foot. Heck, my heels stay in the same position; only the toes end of my feet would move. So no energy needed. As opposed to pushing my legs for 20 minutes to get home.

Well I am now joint both! Very happy with my decision!

Wait for buyer's remorse :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Twice the gainz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

And yet you're still broke ......... well, almost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement