Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming to the end of Part 4 tenancy

Options
  • 25-08-2016 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

I signed a one year lease on a 1 bed flat in Nov 2012. After 9 months I sent the landlord written notification of my intention to stay under part 4 rights.
    No problems to date. Landlord raised the rent by €50 in Nov 2015 after 3 years. Part 4 ends Nov 2016 if I am correct. Whats the procedure at that point if I want to continue living there, assuming its ok with the landlord?

Do I need to sign a new lease for 12 months? And do the same process 9 months later to elect to stay under part 4? Am I liable to pay new rental amount in Nov 2016 if part 4 is expiring? Any advice welcome.
    Essentially I want to stay just not sure of whats expected of me...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I signed a one year lease on a 1 bed flat in Nov 2012. After 9 months I sent the landlord written notification of my intention to stay under part 4 rights.
    No problems to date. Landlord raised the rent by €50 in Nov 2015 after 3 years. Part 4 ends Nov 2016 if I am correct. Whats the procedure at that point if I want to continue living there, assuming its ok with the landlord?

Do I need to sign a new lease for 12 months? And do the same process 9 months later to elect to stay under part 4? Am I liable to pay new rental amount in Nov 2016 if part 4 is expiring? Any advice welcome.
    Essentially I want to stay just not sure of whats expected of me...

Effectively you start a new lease but with many of the rights of your old lease but one important change. You continue at current rent rate until two years have elapsed since previous increase. But, at any time during the next six months, your LL can terminate your rental agreement for any reason giving the appropriate notice. Basically he can ask you to leave any time between November and May of next year. If your rent is below market rate right now, by moving you out he can advertise at a higher rate for new tenants so best to keep an eye on the rental market in the area.

Advertisement