Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Dublin Autos / psv.ie poor experience

• 25-08-2016 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Last Wednesday 17th I rang around a few places for quotes to have a Westfalia towbar installed, got 4, cheapest by some margin was South Dublin Autos at "€120-150". In retrospect, I should have been a little more wary.

They couldn't take me in last week, so I scheduled to bring the car in on Wednesday 24th.
    I dropped the car and towbar off at 9am, and headed off on my merry way with the promise of a call when I could come and collect in my ears. At 5pm when I hadn't heard from them, I called up to see if it was ready.
    The guy on the phone told me a tale of how they were 'looking for me' (no missed calls) today; the guys who fits towbars had to go home. I asked if they'd be able to fit the towbar the following day, they said they would. So I left it with them.
    The following morning at 10:30 I got a call to say that the electrics and plug were missing; I hadn't even opened the box from PF Jones since I bought it, so I swore at them in their absence and paid the 'Tax' by buying retail over at Malcolm's in Rathmines, who sorted me out quickly. I dropped them back down to SDA and waited.
    At about 14:45 I got a call from SDA, and it didn't sound like great news; the guy said that the towbar was not a "direct attach" model, and that they'd have to drill holes. I said, yeah, that's what the instructions said, which is why I didn't do it myself. The guy said it'd be €350-400 rather than the initially quoted price. I didn't try all that hard to negotiate, and I wasn't about to give these guys €400, so I said I'd come and get it.
    Not only did they charge me €50 not to fit the towbar, but they put a tacky sticker under my bumper anyway.
    Seething, but with no will to fight it and resigned to having to cancel my plans for towing this weekend, I left.

Anyone got a solid recommendation for a place to fit this now-slightly-used-towbar that won't cost an arm and a leg? Malcom's were something like €350, which is a lot to my mind. Mr Bullbar was €330. I think I paid €140 to have a towbar fitted to the mother's Rover 75.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not DIY, moved to main forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Sounds like a real drag, were they pulling your chain ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tkelly121

It' s your own fault. You weren't prepared to pay professional people a fair price & you went with the "cheapest" you could find trying to be smart. You should have had someone reputable supply & fit the tow bar for you & you wouldn't be in this position.

Advertisement