Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get rid of Japanese Maple

Options
  • 25-08-2016 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Out 20 year old Japanese Maple caused a major problem this summer.

It's planted two meters from a tarred driveway and at the height of this summer's growing season several roots were shooting up through the driveway.

I took immediate action and I cut the tree down and I painted roundup solution onto the stem butt.

Now since I did that the whole radius area is after flushing up in new tree stems. I need to get rid of them all in order to save my driveway.

Any tips or ideas how to kill them all quickly in order to save from future problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Now that the tree is gone it is unlikely that the stem will take in enough roundup to kill the suckers. To what extent have the new suckers come though? Are they just pushing up the drive or have they actually appeared? If there is growth showing I would suggest resisting the temptation to cut them and spray them with roundup, and keep spraying them as new ones come through and about once a week thereafter till they start to die off. It might not look as though it is working initially, but if you cut down the suckers you will not be able to kill them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Was this ordinary roundup or a brushwood killer. I think you need to drill a few holes near the bark edge and reapply. And use the roundup neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

The suckered are after swamping around the old stem. They extend in the garden lawn for about three or four meters in a full radius around the old main stem. They were never ever there until I cut and treated the main stem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yowsa! As the man says, I wouldn't start from here anyway...!

That was the wrong course of action there day one, you've made it worse by giving the tree a hard pruning, so it will shoot up like crazy. but what's done cannot be undone.

You've two problems,roots and stump.
    On the root shoots, don't cut, spray them. Let enough time for the weedkiller to get right down into them and kill them.

For the stump, Get the pick axe out, and dig around the stump. I hope you've left a good tall stump on it for leverage, pulling it back and forward, lots of wiggling til it comes out.
    Dig dig dig, cutting roots as you go and get that stump out, then try to pull through as many of the roots as you can.

Advertisement