Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CI AGM 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

You have to post an asking price!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Moved from Cycling Adverts

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Do you have to be a club member and have it signed by club chair and secretary to put forward a motion?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Weepsie wrote: »
    Do you have to be a club member and have it signed by club chair and secretary to put forward a motion?

Yes, then you have to turn up and propose it and get a seconder from the delegates to have it voted on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I guess they want people to join clubs, and clubs want people to join them, but how can the many leisure members that are not in clubs who may have some good ideas (for the record I have none) have any input. I'm pretty sure this as cropped up here recently when the furore over the one day fee was discussed. You'd also open it up to an avalanche of motions that will never be gotten through. Cycledub would have a field day (I assume he's not in a club).

Will anyone put forward a motion to reinstate a leisure commission giving it represents a large body of it's members or are the events, communications and education people the de facto leisure people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Will anyone put forward a motion to reinstate a leisure commission giving it represents a large body of it's members or are the events, communications and education people the de facto leisure people?

to be honest if you wanted to volunteer to do it I am 100% sure CI would let you get on with it. I am not being smart but I know a LC was something they wanted to establish and couldnt find anyone to run it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Anything intersting to see and do in Limerick?

Was driving the getaway car on my last trp to Munster 4 yeras ago and didn't get much chance to take in the scenery.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I guess they want people to join clubs, and clubs want people to join them, but how can the many leisure members that are not in clubs who may have some good ideas (for the record I have none) have any input. I'm pretty sure this as cropped up here recently when the furore over the one day fee was discussed. You'd also open it up to an avalanche of motions that will never be gotten through. Cycledub would have a field day (I assume he's not in a club).

As Morana said, unless you have volunteers to run it, it won't happen. It has cropped up a few times but when people were asked, the people who wanted it, did n't want to volunteer.

This said, if you are not in a club, you can submit your idea to a club who could submit it on your behalf. They could then give their speaking rights on the issue over to you at the AGM as far as I know. Long way round I suppose.

Anyone hear or have any ideas of different proposals to put forward or being put forward for the AGM?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I would think with the introduction of the road commission, should (as beasty has pointed out on numerous occasion, like, at least 200 billion times) suggestions for changes to road racing should go there and not the agm?

• Advertisement

lennymc wrote: »
    I would think with the introduction of the road commission, should (as beasty has pointed out on numerous occasion, like, at least 200 billion times) suggestions for changes to road racing should go there and not the agm?

Doesn't mean there are not proposals to be made relevant to CI operations, as well as the possibility that the road commission may not be noticed by those already with proposals in motion. I do presume any related ones at the AGM will be shunted to the road commission after being read out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

Beasty wrote: »
    Anything intersting to see and do in Limerick?

Was driving the getaway car on my last trp to Munster 4 yeras ago and didn't get much chance to take in the scenery.....
    That was only a recky for what was to come the following year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

wav1 wrote: »
    Cycling Leinster have agreed with Cycling Ireland just this week after lots of talks to finance a full time Events person[official title TBC] to oversee mostly leisure events,meet with organisers pre events,ensure all the boxes are ticked in relation to events being run as safely as possible etc etc etc.To be employed by CI and financed from Leinster.Financed by the extra e5 levy on the leisure licences agreed at last years AGM which was to go to the provinces.I know its not perfect but should help somewhat.This employee also will have ears open at all times to listen to what the bulk of leisure members expect/want going forward.Again its a start.

Does wav1's post from another thread partly answer your question Weepsie?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

One idea that may progress is to have a separate "Congress" when "non-company" matters could be discussed in a way that does not attempt to bind the "company". That would include any racing matters not referred to/dealt with by Commissions. This is a model currently in place with Swim Ireland.

The AGM really should be considering company matters, including the accounts, appointment of board members, and changes to the constitution.

Whether the current board (and indeed membership) like it or not, there are going to be significant governance changes down the line. The recent scandals/controversies involving the likes of the OCI and IABA means we can expect significant changes for any organisations getting any government money with an expectation of additional governance procedures

One idea that may progress is to have a separate "Congress" when "non-company" matters could be discussed in a way that does not attempt to bind the "company". That would include any racing matters not referred to/dealt with by Commissions. This is a model currently in place with Swim Ireland.

The AGM really should be considering company matters, including the accounts, appointment of board members, and changes to the constitution.

Whether the current board (and indeed membership) like it or not, there are going to be significant governance changes down the line. The recent scandals/controversies involving the likes of the OCI and IABA means we can expect significant changes for any organisations getting any government money with an expectation of additional governance procedures
    Ah no..Thats me out of action for a while.Going to be rotting in a jail somewhere for touting stage end tickets for the ras.

Completely agree with the above but was just wondering. If you had an issue, that spans all areas of the sport but was technically not for the AGM. Would the congress cover it or would it be a seperate congress for each area.

Lets say for example a club put forward a motion to not ignore the Irish ADA rulings but that any positive test would not only have to sit out the ban handed down by them but also a longer ban from cycling as defined by CI. This would not be road or MTB or CX or BMX or other specific. Lets say a rider gets a positive, the ADA hand down a 2 year suspension, and then the new regs voted on by members either handed down a longer sentence or even a lifetime ban. Who or where would you bring up such a suggestion at the current time.

Eg U18 is a 2 year ban minimum regardless of the ADA ruling, U24 is a 4 year ban regardless of ADA ruling and over 24 is a lifetime ban. I suppose all you would be doing is bannign them from being a member of CI, they can toddle off to another federation if they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Any one going. Hope to be there seeing as I'm not working this weekend now.

I'm going.Purely to keep the decibel levels at the normal level.Seriously as there are no big elections or no real contentious motions I think there will be a pretty poor turnout which is a shame as I think every club should be represented regardless of whats on the agenda.Lack of a central venue this year will also be an issue I'm afraid..Hope i'm wrong.

Alas I'm not going to be able to make it this year as I'll be supervising kids. Shame as I agree with wav1 that it would be better if all clubs could send someone, but I also agree there's probably going to be a lower attendance than in recent years.

I disagree on one point though wav - there's at least one "regular" who can significantly "out-decibel" you!!

I too cannot make it for family reasons.

On the motions put forward:

Youth licenses to increase from €5 to €10 - I disagree, I am very much of the opinion they should be left alone or reduced. Anything that encourages youth participation, no matter how small, is a positive.

DQ for hands off the bar for a youth: was there an incident? Is there a genuine concern here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

CramCycle wrote: »
    I too cannot make it for family reasons.

On the motions put forward:

Youth licenses to increase from €5 to €10 - I disagree, I am very much of the opinion they should be left alone or reduced. Anything that encourages youth participation, no matter how small, is a positive.

DQ for hands off the bar for a youth: was there an incident? Is there a genuine concern here?

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/was-it-fair-to-take-leinster-road-title-away-from-u16-rider/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Attended the AGM this year and must say it was an interesting experience. I never knew such small detail could evoke such elongated debate and conjecture.

I was beginning to lose the will to live, like most others I suspect, as we took nearly an hour to decide whether/how we should increase the cost of a leisure licence by a tenner. The notion that cycling licence fee increase was akin to 'water charges' was the low point of the whole thing - the fact that a year-long leisure licence costs the same as a good front tyre, as the president noted, more or less sums up my attitude to it. Pay up and get on with it.

Youth riders will need to keep their hands on the handlebars from the 200m point to go, until 100m after the finish line, with the proviso that they can wave one hand in triumph if they deemed to be sufficiently 'clear' of the others at the line...

The very best of luck to all ye Commissaires in enforcing that one!

Lots of other stuff happened but I was down the back and out of harms way. Will await the official version from CI to recap.

Finally, it seemed to me that of those attending, the overwhelming number (90%?) were from a racing background. Perhaps this is the norm

JK.BMC wrote: »

Finally, it seemed to me that of those attending, the overwhelming number (90%?) were from a racing background. Perhaps this is the norm

Pretty much so which is a big shame as it means the leisure side of things tends to get neglected at the expense of some on the racing side who often (certainly not always) have an agenda

Your experience of the AGM is pretty consistent with my own over the previous 4 years

Pretty much so which is a big shame as it means the leisure side of things tends to get neglected at the expense of some on the racing side who often (certainly not always) have an agenda

Your experience of the AGM is pretty consistent with my own over the previous 4 years

There is a clear resolve to revive the leisure commission- this is a really good idea as it is clearly the place where leisure issues should be dealt with.
    Now- I wonder how many of the 20000 leisure members come forward to help with the agenda. I hope it kicks off straight away

I think that's the main issue. It really needs people on the leisure side to step up to the plate, make their feelings known, and be prepared to do something about it (as currently happens with the racers)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 if in doubt

JK.BMC wrote: »
    There is a clear resolve to revive the leisure commission- this is a really good idea as it is clearly the place where leisure issues should be dealt with.
    Now- I wonder how many of the 20000 leisure members come forward to help with the agenda. I hope it kicks off straight away

Obviously actually getting people to come forward to get involved with the commission is the big issue.

The re-establishment of the road commission was brought up at last year's AGM and it didn't actually take shape until July or August this year. And even at that as was said today the people involved in it are or were already very heavily involved in other commissions and other areas - for an organisation so dependant on volunteers it's unfortunate that a lot of the time it's the same people putting themselves forward again and again - certainly not meant as a slight on those individuals, moreso how there's a lot more people coming up with ideas than there is actually looking to act on them.

As was discussed the increased leisure licence fee is going towards funding two provincial development officers who'll be focusing solely on leisure. It should be a big step forward for Leinster and Ulster.

Delegates from both the Connacht and Munster commissions said they wanted to use the money generated by the increased by putting it back into cycling in the province. They both made funds available to clubs but nobody came looking for any. Clubs can complain about not seeing the benefit of the increased fees but if they're not proactive in looking for things what do they expect?

There was a lot of promising talk around the leisure commission so hopefully they're able to move forward with it soon.

As AGM's go it was certainly one of the smoother ones I've been, never really descended into a shouting a match and there was some really interesting info put forward re the medical committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I really didn't understand the rational behind the 10 euro increase in the limited competition licence. The logic seemed to be some guys are racing 3 or 4 times a week on them and the president couldn't race that many open events a week so they should pay more I only race 6 to 8 events a year on mine.

I think I was the only person to vote against the rises.

I think that's the main issue. It really needs people on the leisure side to step up to the plate, make their feelings known, and be prepared to do something about it (as currently happens with the racers)

I have a theory/hunch based upon various chats with people on this issue, including today over lunch.
    It occurs to me the vast majority of leisure and sportive cyclists get their kicks out of just riding their bikes and generally don't think much about admin or politics; strava and cake is much more enjoyable than committee work and marshalling; and it's a valid point of view, once you then don't expect much from the National Governing Body other than insurance and some cheaper entry fees and benefits at various events. Maybe that is just the way it is.

So what is the leisure 'agenda' therefore?
    Based upon today's proposals and debate, it is about cheaper membership fees and the chance to enter certain races without having a racing licence. That's about it, as I observed today.

Is it any wonder that these proposals were comprehensively defeated?

CI gets a lot of its cash from leisure members (and to be clear I'm actually from the racing side). There was a big stink last year (certainly on Boards if not at the AGM!) about the leisure licence increase as there is a question as to what they actually get for their money. If they feel disillusioned they may simply not join up again, and anything they do "contribute" to other disciplines is then lost

I do think there is something for CI to build on for leisure riders. They do claim to represent all aspects of cycling and should do what they can to avoid a large proportion of their membership feeling disenfranchised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I do think there is something for CI to build on for leisure riders. They do claim to represent all aspects of cycling and should do what they can to avoid a large proportion of their membership feeling disenfranchised

Im not a member of CI, but I am considering it. I am not, nor will I ever be a racer. I am a leisure cyclist, who may do more sportive cycling in the new year. My difficulty is in seeing exactly what leisure CI membership gives.

I can as a result understand why someone on the inside may be feeling disenfranchised.

Advertisement