Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North County Dublin Gems - Cycle Friendly Pubs

Options
  • 25-08-2016 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Howdy all lovers of cycling and/or drinking in the beautiful NCD. I'm looking to expand my knowledge of cycle friendly pubs along or near my 'training' routes. Ideally cycling distance from Dublin, on quiet/scenic roads, and outside of towns. No problem if the pub IS the town, just want to stay away from townie pubs.

I'm looking for more places like Bennett's in Ardcath (technically Co Meath I believe) or Man-O-War pub in MOW. Looks like there are 2 in Garristown as well. Any other gems in the area worth checking out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

I think the Garristown Inn is closed down. There is another pub across the street from it. The Boot Inn at the back of the Airport. Another one in the middle of no where The Fox Inn in Ballymadun its down from Garristown close to Ashbourne (never been in it just passed by), pub in Bellewstown aswell

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The Balrothery inn and McCormacks in Balscadden are nice. Few cycling photos from back in the day in Balrothery and many races used to finish right outside inn in Balscadden.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Some of the rural pubs in NCD don't open during the day as they wouldn't have the footfall to make it viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Howdy all lovers of cycling and/or drinking in the beautiful NCD. I'm looking to expand my knowledge of cycle friendly pubs along or near my 'training' routes. Ideally cycling distance from Dublin, on quiet/scenic roads, and outside of towns. No problem if the pub IS the town, just want to stay away from townie pubs.

I'm looking for more places like Bennett's in Ardcath (technically Co Meath I believe) or Man-O-War pub in MOW. Looks like there are 2 in Garristown as well. Any other gems in the area worth checking out?

Bennett's in Ardcath is actually in Co. Meath. They're not big into technicalities in that part of the country.
    It is also home to the cycling club "The Well Oiled Wheelers."

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Bennett's in Ardcath is actually in Co. Meath. They're not big into technicalities in that part of the country.
    It is also home to the cycling club "The Well Oiled Wheelers."

is that the one with the Del Boys reliant robin outside?

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    is that the one with the Del Boys reliant robin outside?
    Yup.

another one but not quite NCD, The Summit in Howth and you can free wheel down after

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roadster5

O'Connors in Ballyboughal is a nice place for a pint or a coffee on a sunny day as they have wooden picnic tables outside where u can watch all the other cyclists pass by

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Balrothery inn does good grub

Clonalvy inn (Meath)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

roadster5 wrote: »
    O'Connors in Ballyboughal is a nice place for a pint or a coffee on a sunny day as they have wooden picnic tables outside where u can watch all the other cyclists pass by

Just be sure not to "impede" the progress of any local members of the force while in the area!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Oldtown House in Oldtown... A bit too close to home for me but a nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭capnsantini

Thanks guys. Plenty of great new suggestions there. Will get out for some recces ASAP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i should put in a shout for the fox inn in ballymadun, not that i've had a drink there mid-afternoon while out on a spin, but because they ran the bar at my wedding.

Where is ballymadun?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Where is ballymadun?
    It's just off the old N2 near Ashbourne/Garristown but within NCD.

(Not to be confused with the other Ballymadun near Lusk).

It's just off the old N2 near Ashbourne/Garristown but within NCD.

(Not to be confused with the other Ballymadun near Lusk).

I regularly travel along that road for work but never knew it was called that!

Advertisement