Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite perfume?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I don't want to step on any toes here but I went into Debenhams at the weekend to try Decadence considering that nearly everyone here recommends it.

So I always have a quick sniff of the bottle before I try any perfume and tbh I didn't try Decadence as I thought that it smelled like cat piss from the bottle! :(

Am I alone in thinking this? Is this the way that it smells from the bottle?

If you feel like giving it a second chance, see if they have any of those little cardboard strips for testing perfume around; they are great for letting you see how a perfume ages over a few hours.

I have one perfume that smells a little bit 'catty' from the bottle, but it mellows down to a lovely complex scent after a little while (think it's Midnight Poison?).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I think this is one of those 'jasmine smells like wee' situations. To me (and a few others I've met), jasmine flowers smell like stale urine; apparently to some people they smell gorgeous! I've a feeling it's a similar story with the Decadence perfume - that, or it's just a niche fragrance that appeals to some and not to others!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

dee_mc wrote: »
    I think this is one of those 'jasmine smells like wee' situations. To me (and a few others I've met), jasmine flowers smell like stale urine; apparently to some people they smell gorgeous! I've a feeling it's a similar story with the Decadence perfume - that, or it's just a niche fragrance that appeals to some and not to others!

I was seriously starting to worry that my nose was malfunctioning :p

But then again I have always had a very strong sense of smell and could pick up scents that others can't.

I probably sound like a bloodhound or something :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Clinique Happy.
    Thats one of my favourites, along with Chanel No 5 and Coco Mademoiselle, L'eau D'issey by Issey Miyake, J'adore by Dior, Jean Paul Gaultier (the original one) and Burberry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I adore perfume. It lifts my mood every time I put it on. And yes, I also wear it everyday.

Currently on the go I have:

2 Jo Malones
    Gucci Flora
    Gucci Guilty
    Flowerbomb
    Nina by Nina Ricci

The Jo Malones are Lime and something and English Pear and Fresia (absolutely the most gorgeous smell on earth IMO). The former was a mistake.

And I bought the most gorgeous mini perfume set in Avoca recently. Perfect handbag sized vials for when you've forgotten to put it on in the morning. I don't reapply during the day, I hate that 'drowned in perfume' smell you get off some women.

Look how CUTE this is! https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/style/eau-so-lovely-fragrance-set/644911954832-item.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Slightly OT. does anyone know any sites you can buy samples of perfumes before committing to a purchase.
    Few in brown Thomas I'd love to try but never around there.
    Like Tom Ford, Joe malone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

I used to work in a perfume shop and I found it very hard to find 'my fave scent' because I'd come home smelling like every aftershave and perfume :P but I have to say Marc Jacobs Decadence is my favourite, but like yourselves, I only keep it for going out because it is heavy and not to mention so expensive for the size of the bottle. Believe it or not, any fans of Bon Bon by Viktor and Rolf should save their dough and buy a bottle of Fantasy by Britney Spears. It's almost identical. Its great for making your pricey stuff last longer.

I usually HATE celeb perfumes but my only recommendations are Fantasy by Britney as a cheaper alternative to Bon Bon and my fave daytime perfume, which is Rogue by Rihanna. I wouldn't ever have picked it up had I not worked on the perfume counter, but it surprised me. People constantly compliment me on it as it stays on all day and it wears down quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

My all time favourite perfume is Paco Rabanne XS for Women but unfortunately it got discontinued a few years ago. They brought out some crappy XS Black or something which is actually gag-inducing it's so sweet.

I hadn't actually worn perfume in years but recently returned to CK One. I love it, but the eau de toilette doesn't last pissing time scent-wise. Might try the EDP next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Joyful by Escada is my absolute favourite, its very expensive though. I had to order mine from Sephora as I couldn't find anywhere within Ireland/UK that I could get it from.

http://www.sephora.com/joyful-P388210?skuId=1647031&icid2=escada_editorspicks_us_carousel:p388210

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I love Viktor & Rolf Spice Bomb -yes its a mans, but I love it and always get a load of compliments on it.

Surprised no one likes Tom Ford.....
    have both Black Orchid and Neroli Portofino....love them both

• Advertisement
Advertisement