Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In-ear headphones reduced sounds after year

Options
  • 25-08-2016 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

I have a set of in-ear buds that I use every day for an hour during exercise so they get pretty sweaty and waxy.

Noticed the volume has dropped about 50% compared to when I first got them, can I regain the volume by trying to clean off the wax etc, or is the damage done?

The headphones are a black version of these: https://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAEBX85V-Sports-Headphone-Violet/dp/B002GQPSZI
    (splash-proof)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Well yeah. If there's wax over the headphones speaker grill it will reduce the volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

mordeith wrote: »
    Well yeah. If there's wax over the headphones speaker grill it will reduce the volume.

There's no grill as such.. that's the problem.

It's the black cloth type. Also the sound has stopped in one of the headphones, so unclear if it's just the wax.

Is white-spirit the way to clean it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

mrcheez wrote: »
    There's no grill as such.. that's the problem.

It's the black cloth type. Also the sound has stopped in one of the headphones, so unclear if it's just the wax.

Is white-spirit the way to clean it off?

Have you taken off the rubber ear mould? The volume on my left ear phone dropped the other day. Take off the rubber and wiped with a piece of dry tissue. Sorted. The bit of wax was clearly visible in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

mordeith wrote: »
    Have you taken off the rubber ear mould? The volume on my left ear phone dropped the other day. Take off the rubber and wiped with a piece of dry tissue. Sorted. The bit of wax was clearly visible in this case

I've given them an extensive wipe-down now with one of those multi-surface cleaner wipes, shoved it right into the cloth speaker part and magically the headphones seem to be back.

Would have thought they built in anti-wax measures when designing these things :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

mrcheez wrote: »
    I've given them an extensive wipe-down now with one of those multi-surface cleaner wipes, shoved it right into the cloth speaker part and magically the headphones seem to be back.

Would have thought they built in anti-wax measures when designing these things :D

Bought a large bottle of rubbing alcohol for cleaning electronic components and stuff from amazon works pretty well for cleaning the dirt and grime off headphones you could also use an antiseptic wipe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement