Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenage beauty

Options
  • 25-08-2016 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭

My niece has just turned 13 and has developed an interest in all things cosmetic. I'm trying to think of a birthday present. She is allowed to wear lip gloss, light mascara and is allowed to get her nails painted for special occasions. She is a stunning young girl and does not need make up at this stage.
    Instead of makeup I was thinking of buying her some skin care products to help her develop good habits from an early age. Is she too young to be using cleansers/toners/moisturisers ?
    If it is a good idea, what products would you recommend.

Comments

I'd let her be a kid for a bit longer before I introduced her to the concept of a beauty routine. If she's happy with lip gloss and polish, then that's all she needs. Tell her she's flawless exactly the way she is as much as you possibly can, so hopefully she can avoid a reliance on purchasing a lot of products to make her feel good about her looks.

Her skin might break out in the next year or so and she'll need to take action then, let her enjoy her freedom from all the female beauty indoctrination for as long as possible. When and if she has to address skin issues is the time to sort her out, but introducing her to the concept of a beauty requirement isn't necessary yet, imo.

I see it like wearing bras. Eight year olds might feel grown up wearing a crop bra, but it's better that they enjoy being a kid while they can and leave the bras until they need them.

That's all just my opinion, I'm sure other people feel differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Wise words Candie, thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Maybe you could bring her for a manicure and/or pedicure, special girl's day out for her birthday type of thing?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dee_mc wrote: »
    Maybe you could bring her for a manicure and/or pedicure, special girl's day out for her birthday type of thing?

I was thinking the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Leighton Denny crystal nail file. I swear by mine. Even at 13 she presumably needs to trim nails from time to time - this won't do any harm, no-one ever gets in trouble at school for having their nails filed, and will last her a lifetime (well, a very long time at least).

As she gets older teach her about/pay for eyelash dye - no need for mascara, no yucky mascara wand that's been shared between 15 friends, or that's been sitting at the bottom of a bag for 2 years.

Older again and you can start looking at nice makeup brushes, as well as makeup brush cleaner. I haven't tried this one, but I'm eyeing it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

A good nail file (Leighton Denny one is great), good quality lip balm or gentle skin care would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I was gifted clarins skin care from my aunt when I was 13 and it did nothing only mess my skin up; my skin just wasn't ready for those products at such a young age. I don't think I used any skin care at all at that stage, maybe moisturiser but that's it and a cheap one at that. In my opinion the less you put on your skin at that age, the better, and that's the biggest favour you can do your skin.

Edited to add: teens these days are growing up way too fast. 14 year olds are now looking like 24 years olds and have better make up skills than I do: why are they skipping the ugly phase?! They must do their ugly time!! Anyway I digress.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Perfume. I know the scent is very individual thing but I used to love perfumes because of the cool bottles. I was lucky that mum was easily swayed by the packaging so I could always talk her into buying one. I don't think I ever owned as many perfumes as then.

If you pick one from the brand of clothing she likes or one by some pop star she likes, it might be nice present.

Thanks a million for all the suggestions, great feedback. I'm going to steer clear of skin products and let her enjoy her fabulous clear skin. She is a stunner (but I'm biased :))
    She's all about the nails at the moment, so I think lunch, manicure and definitely buy her a Leighton Denny nail file. I'll get myself one while I'm at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

She's lucky to have such a thoughtful auntie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that she's never too young to get into a good routine. While there's certainly no need for Clarins, there are good ranges for teenagers, eg Sam Farmer products, he does a nice basic cleanser and moisturiser. If she starts looking after her skin now, it'll set her up for good habits. I've bought a few.

Comments about beauty indoctrination imply that women are slaves to skincare and routines when in actual fact cosmetic junkies actually enjoy skincare and products.

So personally I'd get a cleanser and moisturiser and some fun products like nail varnish from Barry M or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

there are good ranges for teenagers, eg Sam Farmer products, he does a nice basic cleanser and moisturiser. If she starts looking after her skin now, it'll set her up for good habits. I've bought a few.

I may just be harking back to my own youth, when cleansers aimed at teenagers were either paint stripper, or actual baby oil, and the moisturisers were far too greasy for teenage skin.

Having a niece of the same age, I stick with inoffensive things like nail files, or else whatever her mother suggests (except for books - my choice of teenage books are way better than her mother's :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I wish I'd have been given good skincare as a teenager, something like Liz Earle is so gentle it would be ideal for teenage skin and get her into really good habit's for life.
    But I think the OP has a great birthday idea already and should stick with the that! She'll love the day out!!

She's lucky to have such a thoughtful auntie :)

Ah shucks, thanks :o

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭cleopatra11

jos28 wrote: »
    My niece has just turned 13 and has developed an interest in all things cosmetic. I'm trying to think of a birthday present. She is allowed to wear lip gloss, light mascara and is allowed to get her nails painted for special occasions. She is a stunning young girl and does not need make up at this stage.
    Instead of makeup I was thinking of buying her some skin care products to help her develop good habits from an early age. Is she too young to be using cleansers/toners/moisturisers ?
    If it is a good idea, what products would you recommend.

How about a trip to Tropical Popical for a mani/pedi if you are near Dublin. She will love it there. Its quite funky and youthful. They do brilliant nail art too.
    Also a wee shopping trip to Lush will prob be a hit too. The place gives me a headache but teenagers love it.

Advertisement