Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade old PC

Options
  • 25-08-2016 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

O.k.I have a 2009 pc and am thinking of a bit of an upgrade.I will list what i have and see what you guys can come up with.Now i would like to use most of the old parts if possible but am very open to suggestion.
    Motherboard:asus m785gt-v evo
    Processor:amd phenom x2 with 4 cores unlocked
    Ram:6gb
    Psu: corsair 450
    Hardrives:1 x 1tb,1x500g,1x2tb
    I use the pc through a optoma hd2000 projector and use the pc mainly for media.
    The PC in on all the time as I have a TBS 6981 card in it for tv around the house and I also stream my media from it.
    I have a geforce gt 640 in it at the mo.
    I dont do any gaming at all.
    The motherboard is effed as alot of the usb ports are broke and so is the ethernet port from a lightening stike a good while back.
    Thanks in advance guys
    Redriddick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If the PC is working for you grand, how about just throwing in PCI cards (1 for USB3.0, 1 for Ethernet) & buy a surge protector with ethernet protection?

Would run you less than €100 total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    If the PC is working for you grand, how about just throwing in PCI cards (1 for USB3.0, 1 for Ethernet) & buy a

Have one in there for ether net already.I
    dunno.....
    I suppose the fact I built a new pc for the nephew has me a bit itchy

Lads,
    Coming to the stage now where I need to upgrade. Don't need a huge amount of power as this is generally a server but I do a lot of word, excel.
    The kids now are starting to need to use the of also.
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I'd say start from scratch here. The PC is ready to be put to pasture.

I'd say something like a Ryzen build would be good here. Will keep the kids going with esports games.

AMD Ryzen 3 2400G
    8gb DDR4 RAM (fast as you can get it)
    500GB SSD
    500W PSU (overkill but can add a dedicated GPU down the line)
    B350 motherboard
    Case of your choice

K.O.Kiki has a build in this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057895562
    Explains why you should go for the 2400G over the 2200G

Shouldn't run you more than 500€

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Would ye stop reminding me that I've been giving advice for over 2yrs already? :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm back. So the auld pc is giving me guff. It is not recognising one of my hard drives and is shutting off randomly. Is the ryzen still the best bet. Oh and I have a cx600 psu in there.

Redriddick wrote:
    I'm back. So the auld pc is giving me guff. It is not recognising one of my hard drives and is shutting off randomly. Is the ryzen still the best bet. Oh and I have a cx600 psu in there.

Redriddick wrote:

Bearing in mind that this pc is basically used to stream media from the hard drives. Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Redriddick wrote: »

Yes Ryzen is the best bet and you will always have the option of upgrading the CPU in a few years to a more powerful one. Either a Zen+ or Zen 2 and even Zen 2+. It will be just a drop in replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

If this is more of a media streaming platform, it might be a good idea to shift the hard drives out into a NAS (Network attached storage, allows any device (phone, tablet, console, etc) on the network to access the files) and just grab a NUC (compact PC) to stream from. That might be a little complex though if you aren't relatively computer savvy. There are plenty of guides on how to set up a NAS if you are interested though.

If you want to just build a new PC, it might be better to go from scratch. You have said the PC was hit with an electrical surge, so I don't know if I can trust that PSU.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£83.99 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£64.94 @ AWD-IT)
    Memory: Team - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£53.44 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£41.82 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£40.99 @ Box Limited)
    Power Supply: be quiet! - System Power 9 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£51.02 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £336.20
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-06 08:50 GMT+0000

Xenoronin wrote:
    If you want to just build a new PC, it might be better to go from scratch. You have said the PC was hit with an electrical surge, so I don't know if I can trust that PSU.

Thanks mate. I replaced the psu after the strike. The pc is mostly for streaming as I have an nuc, wetek hub, tanix mini and ps4 at various locations in the house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement